NASCAR Cup Series Championship Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1667252705435.png

I think the 22 & 20 are far and away the favorites right now.

The 22 because their flat track program has been on point, and the 20 seems to have speed and Bell has been clutch.

Still bitter about Larson flubbing the Roval. If he finished where he was running, he'd have the best average these playoffs, and the most points scored during these playoffs. Would be the favorite again, which bodes well for 2023 - 5 team looks to be a powerhouse.

But even still, not sure. Bell has momentumz but I think the 22 and 1 are the favorites.

Ross was great here in the spring, and is probably the hungriest driver of the four.

Logano is the best of the four, and is the most clutch in the sport. Joey is due for another one.

As far as the 9, something is missing in terms of speed, and Chase doesn't sound confident whatsoever. But win or lose, I hope the Elliott fans here handle it with class.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

But win or lose, I hope the Elliott fans here handle it with class.

I can't speak for the other Elliott fans here, but I won't boast too much if he wins, and I certainly won't be salty if he loses. I never am. Championship or not, it's still just one race. I'm sure it's a product of the gimmicky format, but the championship just doesn't mean that much to me nowadays.

Obviously I want Chase to win, but I would be happy seeing Ross win it, and really wouldn't mind if Bell wins either.

Still bitter about Larson flubbing the Roval. If he finished where he was running, he'd have the best average these playoffs, and the most points scored during these playoffs. Would be the favorite again, which bodes well for 2023 - 5 team looks to be a powerhouse.

But even still, not sure. Bell has momentumz but I think the 22 and 1 are the favorites.

Ross was great here in the spring, and is probably the hungriest driver of the four.

Logano is the best of the four, and is the most clutch in the sport. Joey is due for another one.

As far as the 9, something is missing in terms of speed, and Chase doesn't sound confident whatsoever. But win or lose, I hope the Elliott fans here handle it with class.

hopefully Larson and Cliff find somewhere in that zone they were in last year for 23 and Bell takes an even bigger step next year. I'd be excited for a Larson vs Bell title fight all during the 23 season.

If chase wins, obviously I'll be very happy, but also will realize that they have been skating on very thin ice for the last ten weeks, although their actual performance (not results) hasn't been as bad as some would make it out to be. If they lose, which I am kind of expecting, I just hope it is because they just got out run, and not because of some ill timed caution, someone else's mistake, or a F***ing sign falling onto the track.

Goodyear Fast Facts – Phoenix​

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 36 – 312 laps / 312 miles
Phoenix Raceway (1.0-mile oval) – Avondale, Ariz.

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits: Cup: 3 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 9 sets for the race (8 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5124; Right-side — D-5126

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,251 mm (88.62 in.); Right-side — 2,276 mm (89.61 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation: Left Front — 14 psi; Left Rear — 14 psi; Right Front — 30 psi; Right Rear — 26 psi

Storyline – Cup teams well-prepared for Phoenix: While NASCAR Cup teams have continually worked on and improved their Next Gen cars over the course of the 2022 season, the Goodyear tire set-up will be one consistent factor at Phoenix Raceway. Cup teams will run the same tire set-up this weekend that they ran at this track in March. They have followed that up by running this same left-side/right-side tire combination at Richmond Raceway in April, World Wide Technology Raceway in June, New Hampshire Motor Speedway in July and Richmond again in August. Building that notebook of information on how this tire set-up reacts is a huge advantage for teams as they chase one final victory on the season, and for four drivers, a series championship.

“This is an important weekend for the sport as we crown our 2022 champions,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “In the Cup Series, we’ve had an exciting season with the introduction of the Next Gen car. As has always happened, the learning curve with a new car is steep, and teams work hard at improving their performance as the season goes on. We got up to speed fairly quickly at Phoenix after an organizational test at the track in January and then a race in March. Coming back with this same tire set-up at four more races at three different tracks throughout the spring and summer, Cup teams have been able to remove that variable as they developed their car set-ups. Everyone should know what to expect from this tire set-up, and that helps the teams as they prepare for Championship Weekend.”

Who's gonna throw their blank up on the dash to go up in this thing?

• Wow
Reactions: sdj
I'm not sold on Bell yet.

I think this is the "lose one before you can win one"

Debating on grabbing some 2nd hand tickets to go sit on rattlesnake hill. Just spent a boatload to fly home to FL for Christmas tho and I'm kinda just tired of watching cash fly away lol.

You know that's not true. Neither are classy.

I’ve seen some ridiculous stuff said on here from both sides.

I’m hoping for a 9 and 5 1-2 finish regardless of the order. Get Rick both owner and driver titles 3 years in a row.

Reactions: Pat
I’ve seen some ridiculous stuff said on here from both sides.

I’m hoping for a 9 and 5 1-2 finish regardless of the order. Get Rick both owner and driver titles 3 years in a row.
There's a few gems on each side though. Don't mean to generalize. But it's gotten nasty

I can see Logano being his non-flashy self, drifting to the front in the last stage and blocking his way to Championship #2 much to the dismay of the #9 fans.

I can see Logano being his non-flashy self, drifting to the front in the last stage and blocking his way to Championship #2 much to the dismay of the #9 fans.
I'm a #9 fan and I think it's highly possible Logano will be the next champ. Not going to be surprised.

We have some friends in town (Concord) from California for World of Outlaws. We just happened to take the Garage Pass tour yesterday. I can't recommend enough, Patrick is great. We met Joe Gibbs and he talked to us. I was surprised that he mentioned about having to deal with his Grandson and really seemed down about it. We also saw the teams doing last minute set up for cars in Championship. Patrick said that they were keeping cars here a lot longer setting and checking things. Seemed all hands on deck. We felt lucky to see. Championship fever was in the air. I can't wait. Beautiful facilities. Really learned a lot about pit stop times. Pressure will be on.

ARCA Menards Series West from Phoenix on Flo tomorrow for those interested.

2:30pm ET.

I would like to see Kyle Larson win the race & the owners championship and Logano win the drivers championship in 2nd or 3rd.

did Larson not pull over on the last lap at homestead in the 43 to let the chase guys battle it out?

did Larson not pull over on the last lap at homestead in the 43 to let the chase guys battle it out?
Yup.

But this year he has an owners title on the line. So this season is a final 5, in that there are 5 drivers running for SOME championship.

5 team is going for the win and will probably be cheated up or agressive or whatever

Yup.

But this year he has an owners title on the line. So this season is a final 5, in that there are 5 drivers running for SOME championship.

5 team is going for the win and will probably be cheated up or agressive or whatever

I don’t ever remember Larson actually “pulling over” though. If he had 30-50 more laps in the race he would have easily tried to go by both of them. He just didn’t want to interfere with a championship with 7 laps to go in 3rd place.

Reactions: Pat
Back
Top Bottom