NASCAR declined IMS request to run Brickyard on Saturday in 2018

aroundgoes

Team Owner
https://johnoreovicz.com/2017/07/24/can-the-brickyard-400s-slide-be-stopped/

Speedway officials are pleased that a schedule shake-up for 2018 will move the Brickyard to Sunday, September 9, making it the all-important last chance race for entry to the NASCAR playoffs. The 400 is known as much as anything for uncomfortably hot, humid conditions, and the later date in the future will likely help in that regard. But it’s not going to put another 30,000 people in the stands – especially given the fact that the race will be going up against the opening weekend of the NFL Football season.

The Speedway actually requested a Saturday afternoon race (like the first seven editions of the Brickyard) but Boles said it was denied by NASCAR. Installing lights at IMS would likely cost upwards of $25 million and has been ruled out for the short term.

--Makes sense that Indy wants race to be run on Saturday. Opening weekend on the NFL vs the Brickyard? Yuck

If the Colts are at home on that day. Double Yuck!

I think someone had already brought this up in the other Brickyard attendance thread.

Saturday, Sunday. Sunday, Saturday. Personally I couldn't care less what everyone is doing with their Sunday afternoon's. The number of television viewers or fans in the stands have zero effect on my viewing experience. I can't help but wonder why the average Joe fan cares about this kind of stuff in the least. Watch what you want to watch. Record one and watch the other. Watch both at the same time.....

I think someone had already brought this up in the other Brickyard attendance thread.

Saturday, Sunday. Sunday, Saturday. Personally I couldn't care less what everyone is doing with their Sunday afternoon's. The number of television viewers or fans in the stands have zero effect on my viewing experience. I can't help but wonder why the average Joe fan cares about this kind of stuff in the least. Watch what you want to watch. Record one and watch the other. Watch both at the same time.....
YEP.

A lot of times I do exactly what you said I watch one broadcast until I catch up to real time and then go back to the other one and watch it until real time and keep alternating. I did like the earlier start times for Nascar as it gave more time to see the race spread over the afternoon but now it will be compressed and may not get finished up until Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth are on the air. No complaints though as it will all work out.

A lot of times I do exactly what you said I watch one broadcast until I catch up to real time and then go back to the other one and watch it until real time and keep alternating. I did like the earlier start times for Nascar as it gave more time to see the race spread over the afternoon but now it will be compressed and may not get finished up until Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth are on the air. No complaints though as it will all work out.
One thing I will not miss, with the exception of possibly my own funeral as my wife would say, is a Steelers vs. ? match-up. We watch sports in our house. NASCAR, NFL, MLB, NHL, Track & Field, Olympics..... The list goes on and on. Whether it's multiple televisions, picture in picture, Dish Networks Quad Screen/Multiview, DVR'd, we are watching. Multiple events on at the same time are not a problem in the least. The options are endless and are not obstacles to overcome.

Opening day in the NFL is an event, it's probably the most anticipated sports day of the year that doesn't involve a championship game of some sort. Can't blame NASCAR for being concerned.

Opening day in the NFL is an event, it's probably the most anticipated sports day of the year that doesn't involve a championship game of some sort. Can't blame NASCAR for being concerned.
Richmond is competing with it this year. I think it should be an off racing weekend.

One thing I will not miss, with the exception of possibly my own funeral as my wife would say, is a Steelers vs. ? match-up. We watch sports in our house. NASCAR, NFL, MLB, NHL, Track & Field, Olympics..... The list goes on and on. Whether it's multiple televisions, picture in picture, Dish Networks Quad Screen/Multiview, DVR'd, we are watching. Multiple events on at the same time are not a problem in the least. The options are endless and are not obstacles to overcome.

For sure and I am not sure that all that many people have acquainted themselves with all the options available. My preference is to watch one thing at a time but when squeezed I can max out at 2.

Richmond is competing with it this year. I think it should be an off racing weekend.

An off weekend is a good idea as with great college match ups available all day Saturday and the NFL taking over Sunday sitting out seems like a good choice to make.

By denying the request by Indy for a Saturday date it seems like NASCAR isn't concerned what so ever.

Typical day at the office for NASCAR management:

head in sand.jpg

I can see why IMS asked for it...with the Colts in town and the Bears and Bengals fairly close by (and several others within four or five hours) they better get really lucky with the NFL schedule to have a shot at a decent crowd on Sunday. And I can't imagine TV doing too well.

After some thinking I'm curious why NASCAR declined it...Week 2 of the college football season is usually the weakest or at least one of the weaker days of the season. If I'm looking for a good crowd, do I take my chances with the NFL Opening Day slate or hope that the Purdue fan would rather go to the race on Saturday than see them play Eastern Michigan?

I'm a fan of an out of market team living in Florida, so for the last 11 or so years I've had to go to bars on Sundays to watch football. You can forget about those places putting a NASCAR race on for you, they look at you stupid if you ask. And if you do get lucky, some jerk will make it a point to have it changed to their game after so many minutes of it being on - the general population just doesn't care about auto racing, and it's never more apparent than during football season :(. NFL Ticket has always been an option, but for me getting a dish just doesn't make financial sense considering how awful the weather is here during non-football season. I've had a lot of people tell me they have no issues with theirs but every time I've seen a dish anywhere with bad weather, it goes out. Even at bars.

This year though I have invested in the Firestick and had a buddy of mine download an add-on for $5/month. Allows you to watch all sports packages and even pay per views in HD quality. So I will finally be able to keep a closer eye to the race during my football this year.

Agree was going to say same thing. They have an open date at the end of August put the Brickyard there instead and have Darlington on Labor Day weekend as your regular season finale. The other thing about the Brickyard is it's six weeks after the Indy 500 if fans choice one or the other they will choice Indy. End of August at least gives them three months and it's not so bad

Well I guess ims can say told you so next year. Every couple years my brother and I make the trip to vegas for opening weekend, or head to Minneapolis if the vikings are playing at home on Sunday afternoon. Nothing short of all expenses paid, and a chauffeur service, will get me to speedway Indiana on that day.

Funny how the article messed up what the NASCAR acronym stands for.

And I wonder if "The Toscanini of the Accordion" is still playin' at Enrico's . . .

I can see why IMS asked for it...with the Colts in town and the Bears and Bengals fairly close by (and several others within four or five hours) they better get really lucky with the NFL schedule to have a shot at a decent crowd on Sunday. And I can't imagine TV doing too well.

After some thinking I'm curious why NASCAR declined it...Week 2 of the college football season is usually the weakest or at least one of the weaker days of the season. If I'm looking for a good crowd, do I take my chances with the NFL Opening Day slate or hope that the Purdue fan would rather go to the race on Saturday than see them play Eastern Michigan?

Boilermaker fans would fill Ross-Ade to see Bo Diddley Tech as an opponent as it might be one of their few wins this year.

They still have a long standing Disagreement with Nascar on what constitutes good racing. The non changes to the track over years proves that. I don't know if Harry McQuinn is still around though.

I'm a fan of an out of market team living in Florida, so for the last 11 or so years I've had to go to bars on Sundays to watch football. You can forget about those places putting a NASCAR race on for you, they look at you stupid if you ask. And if you do get lucky, some jerk will make it a point to have it changed to their game after so many minutes of it being on - the general population just doesn't care about auto racing, and it's never more apparent than during football season :(. NFL Ticket has always been an option, but for me getting a dish just doesn't make financial sense considering how awful the weather is here during non-football season. I've had a lot of people tell me they have no issues with theirs but every time I've seen a dish anywhere with bad weather, it goes out. Even at bars.

This year though I have invested in the Firestick and had a buddy of mine download an add-on for $5/month. Allows you to watch all sports packages and even pay per views in HD quality. So I will finally be able to keep a closer eye to the race during my football this year.

When Nascar was rockin the bars and taverns had "Welcome Race Fans" banners outside and a bunch of stuff going on inside but those days are gone in my area. I can't speak for other areas but Nascar has fallen on hard times in terms of popularity in my parts.

The way things are for Nascar fans at IMS you could put an Amber alert and a BOLO out for them and not find many.

Been that way forever in my Town. Even though Tulsa has been one of the most popular markets for Nascar it isn't mentioned during the sports section during the news. It's all about concussion ball around here, Sooners and Cowboys. It's changing to soccer pretty strongly lately, they are using our tax dollars to build more Soccer fields now.

Nascar must not be very popular in Tulsa because if it was it would be deemed newsworthy. Certainly a blip compared to the Sooners and Cowboys but at least something.

Week 1 of NFL gets the main event treatment on TV, I'll DVR the NASCAR race and watch it if I don't like the Sunday Night game or Monday when I get home from work before MNF. However NASCAR would have been smart to put the Brickyard on a Saturday next year, that may be an error on their part.

Week 1 of NFL gets the main event treatment on TV, I'll DVR the NASCAR race and watch it if I don't like the Sunday Night game or Monday when I get home from work before MNF. However NASCAR would have been smart to put the Brickyard on a Saturday next year, that may be an error on their part.
I don't know who's decision it was to change the date, but I'm glad I don't have that conflict, I am going to watch it whatever date. I just hope they try out the ducts (quack ) on the cup cars.:D

There is a high probability that I won't see the race until Monday but that is OK as it is all new to me. If I can sneak bits and pieces in on Sunday I will but Nascar would have been much smarter to start the race on Saturday around noon to keep things away from from some of the better college games later on. I think they could easily get away with knocking 20-30 laps off the race too.

Bingo, I know where I am going to be and what I am going to be watching when there is a Cup race on, and I cant give two S' and a F's what everyone else is doing during that time.

Bingo, I know where I am going to be and what I am going to be watching when there is a Cup race on, and I cant give two S' and a F's what everyone else is doing during that time.

In the past few weeks I have seen comments like yours concerning not caring what everyone else is doing and I don't take issue with it at all but it surprises me that it is even worth a mention. I know I have to be missing something.

In the past few weeks I have seen comments like yours concerning not caring what everyone else is doing and I don't take issue with it at all but it surprises me that it is even worth a mention. I know I have to be missing something.
You are not the only one, I am missing something too, but I am good at that, what part are saying may not be worth a mention?

You are not the only one, I am missing something too, but I am good at that, what part are saying may not be worth a mention?

I just figured folks did there own thing like go to the movies or out to eat or watching a race or sports event without even thinking about what others were doing. I know you wouldn't worry about it if someone didn't approve of you doing those things and I wouldn't either.

I just figured folks did there own thing like go to the movies or out to eat or watching a race or sports event without even thinking about what others were doing. I know you wouldn't worry about it if someone didn't approve of you doing those things and I wouldn't either.
Ok, same page we are on, people are going to do what they want, who are we to care and or judge or question it.

If the same rules apply, as in a "clean air race" I wouldnt go with a free helicopter ride to and from the race with free tickets sitting next to the monster energy gals. ( well maybe if the gals made a fuss over me and free beer!) When competition returns, so will the fans. The first half of the race was like watching a freight train go past, ya know one boxcar cant pass another.

Article written by an Indy group that doesn't have a dog in the thing that have their nose out of joint because a paying customer is putting the date where they want? Indy isn't running the show. If they didn't do what Nascar wanted they don't get paid. STFU.

I wouldn't mind a Saturday afternoon NASCAR race but honestly there is a perfect good race track nearby or even a 2nd Sonoma date or a 2nd Watkins Glen date or a dirt track, something.

I wouldn't mind a Saturday afternoon NASCAR race but honestly there is a perfect good race track nearby or even a 2nd Sonoma date or a 2nd Watkins Glen date or a dirt track, something.
This is where I am at, its time NASCAR move on from IMS.

Back
Top Bottom