NASCAR Good Vibes thread

kkfan91

Everyones an outlaw til its time to do outlaw s%&#
We have so much negativity and people decrying the death of NASCAR that we need a place for all the good things and positive things about NASCAR. We all love this sport for a reason, but too often don't see the forest for the trees. So good stories or observations only, keep your negativity to the death bed thread.

I judge racing based primarily on this criteria... is it a difficult contest of skill with intense, hard-fought competition between two (or hopefully more) drivers for the win. The harder it is, the better I like it. Currently, we are getting very high quality racing... as good as any era of Nascar and better than most eras of Nascar. Every era has some races that turn out to be "clunkers" for various reasons. We have fewer clunkers now than at any time I've seen (back to mid-1960's).

Lower downforce has done a good job of reducing the importance of clean air on 1.5ers and other downforce tracks. It is more a contest of skill, and less a contest of track position. Compared to 2015, which was the peak of "Clean Air Is King" aero rules, the ability to pass the leader is starkly better now.

Nascar should continue with the low downforce aero philosophy, and also take steps to slash side force as soon as possible. I believe reversing this philosophy to create gratuitous passing... via high drag, high downforce, and anemic horsepower... would be a disaster. It would spoil Nascar as a skill-based sport in favor of a tarted-up "entertainment show" that would inevitably be unsatisfying.

love this idea for a thread. Too much doom and goom in here sometimes. I not one to nitpick about attendance, tv ratings, yadda yadda yadda. I just to see good racing, and for the most part this year I have seen that.

Also I may be going to two playoff races this year. As always Dover and maybe Richmond (fingers crossed)

I thoroughly enjoy, to different levels of excitement, every race I watch and more so the ones that we attend. And I'm happy that after 65 years of watching and attending races I still do. Especially the Cup races.

Next season could be the most exciting in NASCAR history thanks to fewer ponies and more drag. I expect more close finishes than ever and for the record of lowest average margin of victory over a season to be smashed!

My annual trip to Fontana is just like Christmas to me. No joke...same feeling I had when I was a kid on Christmas Eve.....and my now annual trip to Sonoma with my son creates memories that will last a lifetime. Toyota wins are awesome---Kyle Busch wins are the greatest sports rush I have ever experienced. I love this damn sport.

I have been a fan of racing all my life. Couldn't wait until I retired to be able to follow Nascar and some of the other racing series more closely. Nascar is constantly evolving and though I don't agree with every evolution, some of them have been brilliant, and IMO the series continues to get better overall as time goes on. Excited to see what the changes will be for 2019 as Nascar deals with economics, the teams, the racing product, and what the broadcasters want us to see. One thing I am sure of, the only thing constant in life is change, Nascar is no different.

Seeing FR going away a year after winning a championship is hard to take, but I hope the trend of big money leaving nascar continues to the point that 7 post simulation, 500 employee organization and big engineering staffs become a thing of the past. Only then will smaller teams stand a chance of finding a talented driver / CC combo and becoming reasonably competitive.

Seeing FR going away a year after winning a championship is hard to take, but I hope the trend of big money leaving nascar continues to the point that 7 post simulation, 500 employee organization and big engineering staffs become a thing of the past. Only then will smaller teams stand a chance of finding a talented driver / CC combo and becoming reasonably competitive.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

It's simple. Less engineering and more raw talent will decide races. If anyone wants to watch high-tech racing, I suggest F1 or IndyCar, where rubbing is racing isn't OK because there's too much R&D money on the line.

I love the cars as eye candy, and as ear candy. I include the broad view... the overall shape and the paint schemes... but especially I love the details and the engineering and fabrication expertise that they display. The evolution from racing Detroit production iron in the early years to single-purpose hand-built racing prototypes is endlessly fascinating to me.

Nascar cars are a unique blend of relatively stone age basic architecture combined with thoroughly sophisticated and modern execution. I like that. It is more satisfying to me than full-on engineering projects such as F1 because the emphasis remains on the on-track competition. No other major racing series in the world focuses on the hand-to-hand combat to the degree that Nascar does (except MotoGP on two wheels and sprint cars on dirt).

I admit to being confused by the common complaint on here that Nascar should return to "strictly stock" OEM production cars like back in the 1950's and 60's. I just don't get the appeal... not as a garage fantasy... not as something that can produce exciting racing. I love the evolution, innovation, and creativity of the single-purpose racing prototypes.

I really like the group of young guns in NASCAR. They seem to respect the history of NASCAR, the "older" drivers and each other. For me one of the most exciting moments in NASCAR is seeing/watching a driver get his first win.

I love the cars as eye candy, and as ear candy. I include the broad view... the overall shape and the paint schemes... but especially I love the details and the engineering and fabrication expertise that they display. The evolution from racing Detroit production iron in the early years to single-purpose hand-built racing prototypes is endlessly fascinating to me.

Nascar cars are a unique blend of relatively stone age basic architecture combined with thoroughly sophisticated and modern execution. I like that. It is more satisfying to me than full-on engineering projects such as F1 because the emphasis remains on the on-track competition. No other major racing series in the world focuses on the hand-to-hand combat to the degree that Nascar does (except MotoGP on two wheels and sprint cars on dirt).

I admit to being confused by the common complaint on here that Nascar should return to "strictly stock" OEM production cars like back in the 1950's and 60's. I just don't get the appeal... not as a garage fantasy... not as something that can produce exciting racing. I love the evolution, innovation, and creativity of the single-purpose racing prototypes.
cracked my up when they were interviewing Kez after his win and his beating Larson out of the pits. He said I was sweating getting a call from my spotter telling me I was speeding. I was watching my tach on the dash, but it's electronic crap and not reliable.:D Glad there is another that wasn't enthused with the new dashes.

I can't define, or explain, what good racing is, but I know it when I see it. The racing has been getting better in the last couple of years. Now that BF is no longer in charge, I think things will improve even more.

My second favorite track and race is up this week, the Brickyard 400. Hope that lets out some good vibes.

I admit to being confused by the common complaint on here that Nascar should return to "strictly stock" OEM production cars like back in the 1950's and 60's.

That's not my complaint. There's a lot of ground between a unified design that gets 100's of millions of R&D development and strictly stock. What I would like to see is in that middle ground.

That's not my complaint. There's a lot of ground between a unified design that gets 100's of millions of R&D development and strictly stock. What I would like to see is in that middle ground.
To me, single-purpose racing cars should look like single-purpose racing cars. They are beautiful and endlessly fascinating in their purity of purpose, which is to race. I don't "get" the rationale for saying hand-built racing prototypes should "look" like your daily driver.

No one is fooled into thinking these guys are racing production cars. No one will tune in to judge the performance of OEM Mustangs versus OEM Camaros. I believe it is faulty reasoning when people claim that more fans would be attracted if the cars were visually disguised as production vehicles. Some people make that claim, but I'm not aware of any evidence to support it.

To me, single-purpose racing cars should look like single-purpose racing cars. They are beautiful and endlessly fascinating in their purity of purpose, which is to race. I don't "get" the rationale for saying hand-built racing prototypes should "look" like your daily driver.

No one is fooled into thinking these guys are racing production cars. No one will tune in to judge the performance of OEM Mustangs versus OEM Camaros. I believe it is faulty reasoning when people claim that more fans would be attracted if the cars were visually disguised as production vehicles. Some people make that claim, but I'm not aware of any evidence to support it.

They already did that when this latest generation car came out, made them look closer to the production vehicles they represent. Ford used the same plastic grill used on the production car for a short time, but removed it when it would fall off during wrecks and was an aero disadvantage. The cars look great to me and close enough when they are going by at 200 MPH.

They already did that when this latest generation car came out, made them look closer to the production vehicles they represent. Ford used the same plastic grill used on the production car for a short time, but removed it when it would fall off during wrecks and was an aero disadvantage. The cars look great to me and close enough when they are going by at 200 MPH.

They sure beat the original CoT. You couldn't even tell what brand you were watching, much less what model.

I can't like this post enough, NASCAR hasnt been "stock" longer than I have been alive, I become a NASCAR fan in the early 90's so purpose built "stock" cars is what I grew up with and don't want to see it change, I like the whole purpose built race car thing. There are plenty of other racing series that run production models modified for racing ,and I enjoy those racing series too.

As long as the bodies closely look something like the nameplate that is on the body I am happy, I really did not like the COT , it was butt ugly and didn't look like anything other than an ugly race car, and the wing version, OMFG that was hideous , I like wings on race cars, but it did not fit the COT body at all and just made it look stupid .

I guess what I am saying is , I love the current Gen 6 and the way they all look, even though 2 out the 3 are Phony cars :bleh:

NASCAR Good Vibes thread

I have seen the changes through the years and I really try and focus on the Drivers and their ability to make the cars they are in at any given time, go fast and make the cars do things at speed that the car is not suppose to do, this keeps me interested. I try hard not to get bogged down in the details of Nascar racing. It entertains me and I like the sport a lot.

Also there is nothing like 40 - 800HP Bad ass hotrods coming by you (live at the Race) at 180 to 200MPH at full song and that not give you chill bumps and make you happy!:D
Yes Nascar, an all American Auto Racing Series! :salute:Hope they are here long after I have gone.

I like all three series, great to see all of the various different tracks represented Short, medium, the supers, road courses and even some dirt thrown in. It requires drivers to be well rounded and IMO the best in the world and I get to have a front seat for the view.

I expect to continue following NASCAR no matter what. No matter who leaves at the end of what season, who comes in at the beginning of another season, what cars are unveiled, what cars are passed on, what controversies emerge, what popular moments bloom, I will continue to love NASCAR.

I expect to continue following NASCAR no matter what. No matter who leaves at the end of what season, who comes in at the beginning of another season, what cars are unveiled, what cars are passed on, what controversies emerge, what popular moments bloom, I will continue to love NASCAR.

ME TO! :booya:

From Jeff Gluck's article:
The Top Five: Breaking down the Las Vegas playoff opener
The second half of the Cup Series schedule has completely come alive with a string of entertaining, enjoyable, unpredictable races. The Bristol night race was close to racing perfection, and that came on the heels of a fantastic Watkins Glen race that was excellent from start to finish. Chicago (“Slide Job!”) was a classic. Daytona had a fun new winner (“How about that race, boys and girls?”), New Hampshire was unexpectedly entertaining for flat-track standards and Indianapolis had a thrilling finish.

Then came Sunday in Las Vegas, which turned out to be one of the craziest playoff openers NASCAR has seen. And it happened at a 1.5-mile track, at that!

“A certain element to motorsports will always be that we play a game of chicken,” Keselowski said. “Whether it’s on restarts or whatever scenario it might be, understanding who has what stakes on the line is really important.

“When one person pushes you hard and then you let them in or let it go, then eventually someone else does it, and now you find yourself in the back playing from behind, and now you start to do it. It creates an escalating effect.

“With that in mind, eventually both guys don’t lift, and things happen. With that said, the playoffs, of course, when you’re playing from behind can make you take more risks.”

http://jeffgluck.com/the-top-five-breaking-down-the-las-vegas-playoff-opener/

Back
Top Bottom