NASCAR Had No Choice

Whizzer

Gig'em
NASCAR really had no choice on the yellow line rule where drivers were concerned at Daytona. The rule is another ambigous specification in the book. After giving Junior a free pass at Talledega, they could not, in clear conscience, black flag Busch for his ride below the yellow, so, they warned him. That will be how it will be handled until this thing settles down a bit. By leaving it a "non-rule".

NASCAR should make the rule if you go below the yellow line, black flag, stop and go. If you are forced below the yellow with contact, the contacting car gets the black flag. And if a lead lap car is forced below the yellow line by a lapped car, the penalty, disqualification for the offender.

Seems like a simple enough rule to begin with, but installing a small set of warning strips like they use on the highway to let you know you have drifted to the shoulder will get a drivers attention in a hurry. Either one of the more firm disciplines cited could be utilized. OR, cancel the rule altogether. If NASCAR is going to enforce it subject to review, the next best thing is to eliminate the rule. :salute:

Originally posted by Whizzer@Jul 7 2003, 07:41 PM
NASCAR really had no choice on the yellow line rule where drivers were concerned at Daytona. The rule is another ambigous specification in the book. After giving Junior a free pass at Talledega, they could not, in clear conscience, black flag Busch for his ride below the yellow, so, they warned him. That will be how it will be handled until this thing settles down a bit. By leaving it a "non-rule".

NASCAR should make the rule if you go below the yellow line, black flag, stop and go. If you are forced below the yellow with contact, the contacting car gets the black flag. And if a lead lap car is forced below the yellow line by a lapped car, the penalty, disqualification for the offender.

Seems like a simple enough rule to begin with, but installing a small set of warning strips like they use on the highway to let you know you have drifted to the shoulder will get a drivers attention in a hurry. Either one of the more firm disciplines cited could be utilized. OR, cancel the rule altogether. If NASCAR is going to enforce it subject to review, the next best thing is to eliminate the rule. :salute:
for once we agree :cheers:

I agree with what you are saying Whizzer, it just sucks that Tony or Marlin never got a warning.

The point is, NASCAR is playing with an interpretation of the rules, again. Same way with the call at Texas with Jeff Gordon. Of course we know NASCAR backed down on that one and the next time left it alone.
The call with Junior at Talledega was to big to change.

Who hasn't gotten the black flag since is another way of NASCAR doing the slippery shuffle backstep dance and CTA. They cannot give the black flag to racers who go below the yellow line after Junior got away with it unless it is a flaggrant violationand it must be at least as obvious as the pass Junior made.
The future of the yellow line rule is now in question with several drivers calling for it's repeal. It was put place because some drivers complained about Jeff Gordon passing Rusty by going below the yellow line (sour grapes) and basically stealing the win at Daytona. Since then, NASCAR has bastardized the rule, depending on who the violator is. :salute:

"In clear conscience".

A tricky way to phrase it.Not sure that NASCAR has much of a conscience that isn't influenced by money and more money.The reason Kurt was just warned----and here comes the cynic in me---was simply because potential revenue could have been LOST were Kurt black flagged after Jr. wasn't.Kurt,like him or not,is both pretty vocal and pretty high profile these days.And certainly smart enough to point out NASCAR's last 'yellowline-gate'.In short..Kust would have shown the light on NASCAR's favoritism and possibly cost them two or three bucks from guys like me who would have missed a race or two due to this.NO WAY do I think for one second NASCAR's conscience was bothering them though.Greed motivated them here like it always does.Because here's the real kicker:KURT WAS THE MOST LIKELY TO ***** ABOUT IT...and NASCAR figured that out.(pardon my language)

And it was wrong to penalize other drivers for doing essentially the same thing Kurt did---which was essentially the same thing Jr did!Convoluted,yeah...but typical of modern day Nascar and their dollar driven pursuits.

In short,my opinion is conscience implies heart...something I am not so convinced Nascar has anymore.Bad call to penalize any other drivers when you let others get by with it...regardless of if it's 'your ' driver or 'my' driver.It's just wrong either way,I feel.

As far as the rest of your remarks,I agree completely,Whiz.Make the damn rule or DONT make the rule, just apply it to ALL drivers equally.A third grader could figure it out.

this is a "NASCAR" rule...meaning there is no right or wrong...depending on the mood of Mike Helton is what the call will be.

NASCAR needs to set rules and live by them

I believe they should give 1 warning, and then the 2nd time, they get the penalty, unless they were forced off.

I don't really remember kurt going below the yellow line this week, could somebody clue me in???

Personally, I think the rule sucks. There is way to much of a gray area for this. Junior shouldnt have gotten black flagged, Sterling, or Kenny wallace, shouldnt have either.

Back
Top Bottom