Nascar has some splaining to do?

IMO the real reason behind the massive penalty of MWR is for the intentional spin of the 15 car with just a few laps remaining in the race.
nascar could not prove it, but everyone in the nascar world knows they did it.

MW can now act as if he is the innocent victim of an unfair ruling like he did last knight after the truck race, but the truth is his team crossed the line in a big way and MWR deserve everything they got.

IMO the real reason behind the massive penalty of MWR is for the intentional spin of the 15 car with just a few laps remaining in the race.

MW can now act as if he is the innocent victim of an unfair ruling like he did last knight after the truck race, but the truth is his team crossed the line in a big way and MWR deserve everything they got.
I couldn't agree more except that Mikey was claiming innocent from the get go.

Hmm very interesting indeed. So why did MWR get hit so hard and the 22 and 38 get a warning?
http://thestar.blogs.com/autoracing/

Because there was an easy fall guy in MWR that nobody'd heard of to blame everything on - Ty Norris.

In the 22 and 38 case the only possible fall guy was the "big dog", Penske himself. Nascar had to fall on the grenade. Nascar is not about to let one of their money men get their name dragged through the mud.

Brian France would much rather that he and Nascar become the bad guy here. This is an era of declining TV ratings for Nascar and fewer big companies interested in sponsorships. Who fills the gaps when a sponsorship falls through, or the finances come up short on a Penske race team? Penske does. With his own money. Cause he loves racing.

How many American billionaires are obsessed with and love motorsports and Nascar? Not many. Most of the uber-rich love stick-and-ball sports and want to own an NFL, MLB, NBA, or NHL team.

To Nascar, a man like Penske is a precious resource, and Nascar and Brian France will do everything they can to protect his reputation. A billionaire like Penske doesn't need Nascar. Nascar needs Penske. And if the media started attacking him, he might just say, to hell with this, I don't need this crap. Nascar desperately wants to prevent that. Nascar wants to keep Penske happy, so he keeps bankrolling top teams in Cup and Nationwide.

I get the feeling that Penske told Nascar, in their meeting, that if they treat him wrong he would take his marbles and go home.
I have a lot of respect for that man. Very shrewd and smart.
Roger Penske doesn't need Nascar but Mikey sure does.

What line did they cross? In the article I posted Jr. openly admits to causing accidents on purpose to bring out a caution, and teams have been giving up positions on the track to team mates from day one, there's nothing new here. So why now? Why such a big fine for something that's been going on from day one?

Last edited:
This is all about appeasing the screaming fans who wanted blood . Nascar overreacted then came up against the Penske deal . Two wrongs don't make a right so they backed off . Like you say Dwayne , they don't want to go any farther down that road because every team has done something similar . Well , maybe not Danica .:D

"...the intentional spin of the 15 car with just a few laps remaining in the race."

It's one thing to spin on purpose in the middle of a race for a caution. I don't think it's ok, but I know it's been done lots of times in the past.

But when someone does it with just a few laps remaining in a race which has the affect of stopping another team from winning, that's where it crosses the line for me.

Every team has not done something similar.

What line did they cross? In the article I posted Jr. openly admits to causing accidents on purpose to bring out a caution, and teams have been giving up positions on the track to team mates from day one, there's nothing new here. So why now? Why such a big fine for something that's been going on from day one?
When Jr. admitted doing such a thing (intentionally spinning at Bristol to bring out a caution for his own benefit) he was docked 25 points by NASCAR.

NASCAR is changing their tune now because it was blatant, organized, and occurred at a point in the season when the stakes were at their highest. And just because something has been done a certain way for a long time doesn't been it should continue to be done in that manner, or else there would never be any progress.

It's one thing to spin on purpose in the middle of a race for a caution. I don't think it's ok, but I know it's been done lots of times in the past.

But when someone does it with just a few laps remaining in a race which has the affect of stopping another team from winning, that's where it crosses the line for me.

Every team has not done something similar.
You speak the obvious truth to me Gordonite, and I cant believe that others see it differently. But I guess thats what makes life interesting...people with different opinions.

We can't ALL be perfect I guess and maybe the Gene Pool should have a life guard. :D

I'd have no problem with NASCAR losing half it's money (somehow) and becoming an "underground" sport out of the spotlight. Same as hard rock/ heavy metal music industry. Falling physical album sales and popularity but still holds fan base that is more loyal and dedicated than any other genre. If racing only made the local channel every weekend & didn't make ESPN highlights and people wouldn't say "it's just people going in circles" I think I'd enjoy it more with the peace & quiet.

I'd have no problem with NASCAR losing half it's money (somehow) and becoming an "underground" sport out of the spotlight. Same as hard rock/ heavy metal music industry. Falling physical album sales and popularity but still holds fan base that is more loyal and dedicated than any other genre. If racing only made the local channel every weekend & didn't make ESPN highlights and people wouldn't say "it's just people going in circles" I think I'd enjoy it more with the peace & quiet.
They went pretty underground when Fox decided to shuffle off most of the practices and qualifying for the various series to FS2, not to mention pre and post race shows. Fans on nascar.com chat are tearing them a new one. they took the money and forgot the fans. I'm sure they are feeling it, but what can they say..

There was plenty of publicly available evidence against MWR. It may have been difficult to come up with similarly smoking guns for the Penske job.

There was plenty of publicly available evidence against MWR. It may have been difficult to come up with similarly smoking guns for the Penske job.
Then leave Logano in and Gordon out. NASCAR was stuck between Hendrick (rock) and Penske (hard place) and folded like a paper bag.

Then leave Logano in and Gordon out. NASCAR was stuck between Hendrick (rock) and Penske (hard place) and folded like a paper bag.
I'm not saying I agree with the decision, just trotting out a theory as to why Penske got off. If it was up to me, only the #15 and #55 would have been fined, but for enough points to push Bowyer out. But then, if it was up to me, there wouldn't be a Chase in the first place.

I'm not saying I agree with the decision, just trotting out a theory as to why Penske got off. If it was up to me, only the #15 and #55 would have been fined, but for enough points to push Bowyer out. But then, if it was up to me, there wouldn't be a Chase in the first place.

The problem I have with the whole thing is Nascar has said they can't prove Bowyer spun on purpose, and with out proof there is no crime, intent doesn't matter. Sorry I get what everyone is saying, we all know he did it but with out proof there is no crime. So what nascar has done is said we can't prove it but we know you did it so here ya go BAM, 300,000 big ones. I'm simply saying this wrong, if you can't prove it, it didn't happen and if it didn't happen then MWR did nothing different then the 22 and 38 and should be treated the same. Someone here compared nascar to the WWE, I'm afraid he could be right, nascar is turning into a freak show. Sorry but that's how I feel.
Btw I'm in my 50's and have been following this sport for as long as I can remember, I can't remember when I've been more disapointed, maybe the introduction of the COT... no this worse.

As a race fan, I'm thankful

Hard-core fans of any sport or form of entertainment tend to think like that. And that's why Nascar would be stupid to listen to those hard-core fans. They don't have Nascar's best interest at heart.

It's often the hard-core fans who try to hold you down and hold you back. They don't want to share.

In many ways, hard-core fans are like the jealous wife who doesn't want to see her husband get that big promotion and become a success. She's afraid if he becomes a success he'll leave her once he sees better opportunities out there. So she sabotages his career to keep him shackled to his old life.

If somebody tries to "help" you by suggesting a course of action that, by their own admission, might cost you billions in TV revenue ... then they aren't trying to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a race fan, I'm thankful

Hard-core fans of any sport or form of entertainment tend to think like that. And that's why Nascar would be stupid to listen to those hard-core fans. They don't have Nascar's best interest at heart.

It's often the hard-core fans who try to hold you down and hold you back. They don't want to share.

In many ways, hard-core fans are like the jealous wife who doesn't want to see her husband get that big promotion and become a success. She's afraid if he becomes a success he'll leave her once he sees better opportunities out there. So she sabotages his career to keep him shackled to his old life.

If somebody tries to "help" you by suggesting a course of action that, by their own admission, might cost you billions in TV revenue ... then they aren't trying to help you.
So lets see if I can decipher this. What you are saying is that Nascar should listen to the casual fan that sits on their collective ass and occasionally watches a race and never spends any money by going to races or buying merchandise about serious racing issues over hard core fans that support the sport no matter what, gotcha. Errr NOPE.

So lets see if I can decipher this. What you are saying is that Nascar should listen to the casual fan that sits on their collective ass and occasionally watches a race and never spends any money by going to races or buying merchandise about serious racing issues over hard core fans that support the sport no matter what, gotcha. Errr NOPE.

Where did ST say anything about nascar listing to the casual fan?

Where did ST say anything about nascar listing to the casual fan?
By implication, if you don't listen to hard core fans then who is left to listen to but casual fans, thus the deciphering crack..

By implication, if you don't listen to hard core fans then who is left to listen to but casual fans, thus the deciphering crack..

I took it as him saying nascar should not listen to the fans, but I guess I'm not as good at deciphering as you. lol

Nascar felt they could not let things go, they had to react. This "penalty", was not out of rules breaking, but out of retribution, this was to lay the hammer into MWR. What gets me is not the fine, that was all well and good, but the fact that they were upset that a pitstop was called for vickers. Seems to me that a pitstop is not against the rules. Also, Bowyer, was supposedly to blame for "purposefully" causing a caution, therefore, altering the racing outcome. If he was to blame, why was he not penalised. 50 points, before the chase starts is not a penalty. Only Truex was actually penalised, and he was not even in the scurm. Retaliatory, not to prevent, but to blame. We cannot go without a name or face to a nameless or faceless crime, there must be justice, even if it was unfair, or unjust. MWR suffers, while Penske and others skate, for essentially the same thing. Where is the integrity in that, Nascar. One more thing, Brian France, you have to go. You, single handedly ruined Nascar with your business deals and chase and your family has to be shamed. What a piece of work.

Nascar felt they could not let things go, they had to react. This "penalty", was not out of rules breaking, but out of retribution, this was to lay the hammer into MWR. What gets me is not the fine, that was all well and good, but the fact that they were upset that a pitstop was called for vickers. Seems to me that a pitstop is not against the rules. Also, Bowyer, was supposedly to blame for "purposefully" causing a caution, therefore, altering the racing outcome. If he was to blame, why was he not penalised. 50 points, before the chase starts is not a penalty. Only Truex was actually penalised, and he was not even in the scurm. Retaliatory, not to prevent, but to blame. We cannot go without a name or face to a nameless or faceless crime, there must be justice, even if it was unfair, or unjust. MWR suffers, while Penske and others skate, for essentially the same thing. Where is the integrity in that, Nascar. One more thing, Brian France, you have to go. You, single handedly ruined Nascar with your business deals and chase and your family has to be shamed. What a piece of work.
Is that you Mikey?

Back
Top Bottom