NASCAR itself makes top news in Silly Season

H

HardScrabble

Mike Mulhern, a silly season force to be reckoned with himself, wrote the following "top news" story. With no one anywhere else even whispering about this, draw your own conclusions.

"In the day's top news, which broke after the Winston Cup garage closed, NASCAR officials reportedly have scheduled a major test at Talladega within the next two weeks, a test that is being described by some NASCAR sources as a mandatory test for stock-car tour teams. NASCAR officials could not be reached last night for confirmation or comment.

It is unclear just what might be on the testing agenda. According to one source it could be the proposed smaller fuel cells, holding 11 to 13 gallons of gas instead of the regular 22; smaller tanks would force teams to make more pit stops, presumably spreading out the field. However, according to another source it could be a new smaller cubic inch engine, something like the 3.5-liter normally aspirated V-8 used in the Indy 500 and other Indy Racing League events.

Such an engine would be half the size of the current 358 cubic inch behemoths, which produce over 750 horsepower unrestricted. NASCAR has been using restrictor plates on its Talladega and Daytona motors since 1988 to cut that horsepower back to about 420."

Officals reportedly? I like that.

Seems to me that spec engines aren't that far away.

LOL,

I keep waiting for the source described as: "alleged unofficial spokesman for NASCAR officials in an off the record unverifiable conversation with person or persons unknown."

Back
Top Bottom