NASCAR Marketing Brass - “We have more sponsors in this sport today than we’ve ever had.”

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
“You know, I think there’s a misconception out there that sponsorship in NASCAR is not doing well, and that’s not true,” Phelps said. “We have more sponsors in this sport today than we’ve ever had. We’ve got almost half the Fortune 100, almost a third of the Fortune 500. It’s a lot of large companies who are in the sport not because ‑‑ it would be really cool to go racing. It’s because it works … So people tend to focus on oh, my gosh, sponsor A left and sponsor B left, and for us, it’s like, okay, well, C, D, E and F also came on board as brand new sponsors. And then a plethora of others have renewed or extended for a period of time.” - Steve Phelps

https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-con...ance-comes-sponsorship-quality-205201719.html

They may have more sponsors, but they're not paying the kind of money they did 10 years ago - which is why there are more.
Exactly. There are more sponsors, but a lot of them are just doing a handful of races. There may not have been as many sponsors 10-20 years ago, but most of the ones that were in the sport sponsored their team for the whole season instead of doing the piecemeal sponsorships we see today.

oh look! another broke ass writer
686e9500-c35a-11e7-9532-65bcc85a2a6d_NickBromberg.jpg
writing about something that happened 8 months ago. Around here they do it for free.

I am sure NASCAR execs feel comfortable as long as they keep signing an Official Toilet Paper Provider, Official Toothpaste, Official Garbage Disposal Company, Official Cling Wrap, Official Fruity Beverage, etc.

It works for other sports, NASCAR is trying to give a crack at it. Instead of a "primary" sponsor, I guess its like a tiered system.

I just don't know how many can afford a Cessna plane tho. I guess if Jaime Mac wins, you get one percent off of a plane. Or maybe a wrecked John Deere tractor or lawn mower signed by Ricky Stenhouse.

Kind of like ARCA was (still is?) Post a $20,000 award for a win, but $8,000 was nothing but coupons for merch from the contingency sponsors. Try paying your tire bill or motel bill with coupons for free lug nuts and rocker arms. NASCAR's "official take" on this subject threatens what little credibility they have left. To pretend that the quantity of sponsors somehow equates to the quality of sponsors is foolish at best, and utterly dishonest at worst.

Some of Bromberg's writing is fine sometimes. I am critical of NASCAR management on many fronts, but I don't know what execs could say on this subject that would make him feel better. Apparently he wants them to hold media events in which they tout how much less popular the sport is than it used to be, and that there is a sponsorship crisis.

He also makes a false claim that NASCAR has done nothing to curb team costs.

Sunoco , Heinz and Alka Seltzer were real sponsors for backmarkers. Today we have few sponsors for backmarkers.

Back
Top Bottom