NASCAR Pick 'Em 2014 TALLADEGA (NOTHING STOPS THE GAME)

KevinWI

Oldest Operating Motor Speedway In The World
Live from a dready and cloudy Milwaukee hospital room, NOTHING stops this NASCAR game.

Standings after Richmond!
FLRacingFan - 138
The Long Shot - 175
Stewart Fan - 186
ztevans - 190

Spreadsheet Link (post Richmond)

Z

ztevans

Hope you get to feeling better, Kevin. Can't be disturbing the nurses and neighbors in the hospital yelling at the TV during Talladega, after all.

KevinWI

Thanks ztevans. I am thinking they will let me out today.

KevinWI

Picks are in

FLRacingFan - Josh Wise
The Long Shot - David Gilliland
Stewart Fan - Jamie McMurray
ztevans - Michael Waltrip

With a healthy lead, looks like FLRacing might be burning a stinker on a plate track.

KevinWI

For the first 8 days after Easter, I felt really crappy. Really sick to my stomach, nauseas, vomiting, sight of food made me feel terrible, fever. I was constantly thirsty and no amount of bottled water would 'wet my whistle' as they say. Literally, I would pound a bottle of water and still be thirsty. I thought it was just a stomach flu or maybe a touch of food poisoning from Easter dinner. Like a lot of us orny men here probably, I hate the doctor, but by Monday I knew something was wrong. I could barely get out of bed and I just could feel that something was really going wrong. I finally went to the little local urgent care, they took blood work and x-rays and I said was just constipated and told me to take some stool softener.

Tuesday, I get a FRANTIC call from urgent care clinic, the blood work came back, and turns out I have lethal levels of blood sugar and I'm in diabetic ketoacidosis (diabetic shock). Keep in mind, I'm not diabetic (or I wasn't). I'm a heafty 26 year old boy but I've always been more steak and potatoes guy than sweets and ice cream and never was diagnosed as pre-diabetic or anything (although I do have a family history of Type 1 diabetes).

So, I'm rushed to the ER (they wanted to send an ambulance, but I have family that lives 15 minutes away and drove me, the urgent care doc told me this is a medical emergency and I wasn't allowed to drive). I'm extremely dehydrated first, the ER guys have a hell of a time getting the dual IV lines in my arms. Finally, they rehydrate me, I was in ER for about two hours. Then I was admitted to ICU for rest of Tuesday and Tuesday night. Wednesday they moved me to regular care and took the insulin drip out and have been giving me. I am officially a Type 1 diabetic now, so I have been in the hospital the past few days learning how to measure my blood sugar and inject myself, all that fun stuff. I feel fine now and want to go home but they want to make sure that my body is used to the insulin, the blood sugar is back to manageable levels and

I told my Dad when he came up to visit that I am now a big Charlie Kimball fan. Us Type 1s have to stick together. :D I told the diabetic expert here I wanted NovoNordisk NovoPen insulin pens like Charlie Kimball. She said I will probably get whatever brand the insurance will pay for and the pharmacy has in stock. :(

It is obviously a big lifestyle development and will require attention the rest of my life but I don't have much choice so I am trying to stay upbeat and positive about it. It is a bummer that I will have to lug around insulin and a meter and worry about blood sugar at fun summer events like IndyCar races or the NHRA meet in Joliet or whatnot but I don't have much of a choice so will manage. My family is pretty upset because were/are a lot of people in our family who have/had diabetes and lost feet, kidneys, went blind, died young, etc, but I'm not worried about it. It's a new challenge for me. And when IndyCar comes to the Milwaukee Mile now I can talk Charlie into letting me take ole #83 for a few hot laps around the track. :D

DUN24

Skeptical of the Spectacle
That's a bummer man. I'm sorry to hear it. You probably couldn't have a better attitude about it though. Best of luck.

Top Bottom