NASCAR Pick 'Em 2018 - Sonoma

pjmolo

Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .
The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series and the NASCAR Pick 'Em game take a week off to allow all fathers, sons, and daughters to celebrate their relationship next Sunday on Father's Day.

The Toyota/Savemart 350 at Sonoma Raceway, one of only two road course races on the Cup Series schedule, is the next race for making driver picks.

The deadline for submittal of picks for the next race is Friday, June 22nd, noon Eastern time.

2018 Pick 'Em picks spreadsheet.jpg

2018 Pick 'Em used spreadsheet.jpg

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series heads west to the Golden State this weekend where the Toyota/Savemart 350 will be held Sunday afternoon at Sonoma Raceway.

Kasey Kahne and Michael McDowell are this week's most popular driver, each selected by four players.

A.J. Allmendinger and Ryan Newman were each selected by three players.

Justin Marks, filling in for Ross Chastain in the #15 car and starting his first Cup race this year since the Daytona 500, was also selected by three players.

For only the second race this year, only one "A list" driver was selected. That driver is Kyle Busch, who was also the only "A list" driver selected for the spring Bristol race, a race that Busch ended up winning.
Good luck to all and thanks for participating. :cheers:

16-2018 Pick 'Em Picks - Sonoma.jpg

Funny about Kahne and Mcdowell, my choice came down to those 2

I'm a Kasey fan and I dont get those of you picking him, yeah he has the 1 win here, but the rest of his road course career isn't that shining.

The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series heads west to the Golden State this weekend where the Toyota/Savemart 350 will be held Sunday afternoon at Sonoma Raceway.

Kasey Kahne and Michael McDowell are this week's most popular driver, each selected by four players.

A.J. Allmendinger and Ryan Newman were each selected by three players.

Justin Marks, filling in for Ross Chastain in the #15 car and starting his first Cup race this year since the Daytona 500, was also selected by three players.

For only the second race this year, only one "A list" driver was selected. That driver is Kyle Busch, who was also the only "A list" driver selected for the spring Bristol race, a race that Busch ended up winning.
Good luck to all and thanks for participating. :cheers:

View attachment 35172
Thanks for your hard work.

I'm a Kasey fan and I dont get those of you picking him, yeah he has the 1 win here, but the rest of his road course career isn't that shining.
For me is was nothing more than a burner pick. If he can net a top 20 I'll be pleased. Looking at the schedule I just didn't know where else I'd use him.

For me is was nothing more than a burner pick. If he can net a top 20 I'll be pleased. Looking at the schedule I just didn't know where else I'd use him.
Plate race would be a better bet, I know when I'm using him.

In the last 10 races at Sonoma KK has 1 win a top 5 and 4 top tens and has finished out of the top 20 once. That's a pretty good record if ask me and why I picked him. I listened to him today at the track on the scanner and it sounds like they have a decent car.

Yep, I consider Kahne a "C" driver so I am good with a top 20 out of him which are tough for him to get outside of plate tracks and road courses. Dega and Daytona involve luck, so Kasey has just as good of a chance as anyone else at the plate tracks. However, he has a much better shot at a good finish at Sonoma than most of the other "C" drivers do, so that's why I chose him.

Kasey Kahne has been one of the most difficult drivers for me to get a handle on this year.

Like many, I like to refer to previous performances when trying to decide when to use each driver. But Kahne becomes a problem child due to the fact that he was with a top tier organization (Hendrick Motorsports) for the previous six years.

Now that he's with a second (or possibly even third) rate, single team organization, how much credence can be put into his past performances ?

During the first 15 races this year, Kahne has failed to finish as well as he did last year in every race but two (Texas and Charlotte) and has yet to finish in the top ten. I too consider him to be a "back burner" and when I do finally use him I'll be happy to see him finish in the top 20.

Kasey Kahne has been one of the most difficult drivers for me to get a handle on this year.

Like many, I like to refer to previous performances when trying to decide when to use each driver. But Kahne becomes a problem child due to the fact that he was with a top tier organization (Hendrick Motorsports) for the previous six years.

Now that he's with a second (or possibly even third) rate, single team organization, how much credence can be put into his past performances ?

During the first 15 races this year, Kahne has failed to finish as well as he did last year in every race but two (Texas and Charlotte) and has yet to finish in the top ten. I too consider him to be a "back burner" and when I do finally use him I'll be happy to see him finish in the top 20.

I'd say close to zero. It's like Kurt Busch going from Penske to Phoenix Racing. Well, maybe not as harsh but you get the point.

He has been hard to use in fantasy leagues for a years imo. Too inconsistent to pick him with any confidence.

Welp KK would have been a great pick had the 95 team not acted like amateurs on pit road with a speeding ticket and an uncontrolled tire on the last pit stop. Pretty disappointed with a p 20 when they had a good car and were in contention for a great finish.

Had Suarez, who went into the final lap 10th, tried to pass Bowman for ninth and somehow screwed up to finish 15th. Can’t even get a top 10. Yikes!

Congrats to @Clutch who takes this week's "Highest Finishing Pick" award with his selection of Clint Bowyer, the 3rd place finisher of the Toyota/Savemart 350 at Sonoma Raceway.

@Clutch continues on a torrid move towards the top, now having picked a top ten finisher in six out of the last seven races. During that time he's moved from 23rd to 2nd place and is now within striking distance of first place.

Congrats are also in order for @SlicedBread22, @Conover, and @jws926 who each moved up three spots in the standings.

Meanwhile, at the other end of the performance spectrum, @DanicaFreak, @DC76, and @Mopardh9 were each presented with the "Wiping Up the Rear" award as their pick of A.J. Allmendinger screwed the pooch on the 33rd lap of the race when he apparently tried to shift from second to third by way of first gear, which resulted in the engine being . . . .

done blowed up.jpg

And although his lead over second place was reduced from 37 to 36 points, @Blake Hylton continues as the game's leader for the seventh consecutive race.

Finally, @Stewart Fan was removed from the game after having not made a pick for four consecutive races, .

16-2018 Pick 'Em Results - Sonoma.jpg

Last edited:
In the last 10 races at Sonoma KK has 1 win a top 5 and 4 top tens and has finished out of the top 20 once. That's a pretty good record if ask me and why I picked him. I listened to him today at the track on the scanner and it sounds like they have a decent car.

My exact reasoning as well. His was one of very few names that stuck out at me for his finishes at Sonoma the last few years. It was worth a shot.

I'm thinking I've reached my best ranking of the entire season today. I have no A list drivers left and I have had luck go my way.
Still it was a good run after 2 No-picks races and a 3rd where I picked Hamlin for the 2nd time!! So 3 give aways.

Back
Top Bottom