NASCAR Pick 'Em 2018

pjmolo

Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .
As we're now a little over a month until the first race of the 2018 NASCAR racing season, folks are beginning to sort out which of the various fantasy racing games that they intend to participate in.

The game that @Charlie Spencer is involved with looks to be a winner as it appears to be quite similar to the popular, and now discontinued, Yahoo Fantasy Auto Racing game.

https://racing-forums.com/threads/the-last-american-fantasy-racing-league.62061/

For something slightly different, the NASCAR Pick 'Em game has existed on this board for the past several years and will be continued into the 2018 racing season and, hopefully, beyond.

The basic premise of the game is actually quite simple.

Each week, each player picks a driver for that week's race. Points are awarded to each player based upon where his pick for that week finished.

1st place finish = 1 point . . . . 40th place finish = 40 points, with all finishes in between awarded appropriately.

The game's season championship is awarded to the player that has the fewest points after the 36th and final points race.

What makes the game challenging is that a player may pick a particular driver for one, and only one, race during the course of the season.

That's the short version as the official rules are explained below.

Among many comments previously made about the game, this one tends to stand out:
I do think it's, by far, the best and most strategic game on the boards.

You've got to take into account the season in its entirety to play and play well.

I'd urge anyone to take part in this game if possible if you're willing to put your NASCAR smarts on the line.

Competition's tough. Are you up for it?

OFFICIAL GAME RULES

1 - Each week, each player picks a driver for that week's race.

2 - Players' picks are to be made on the Racing-Forums.com board via a private "conversation".

a. Start by clicking on the "Inbox" tab to the right of your screen name in the upper right corner of the webpage. Then, click on "Start a New Conversation" and enter pjmolo as the conversation "participant".

b. The "Conversation Title" should read NASCAR Pick 'Em 2018. The message should then include the location of the race and the driver picked for that race. For example: Daytona - Martin Truex Jr.

c. Upon receipt of the pick, a response to the message will be made that confirms the pick for that race.

d.
When a player makes his pick for the next race, he should make it using the same conversation as his previous pick, thereby keeping the conversations in management's inbox to a minimum.

3 - All picks must be made by the Friday before race day, noon Eastern time. An initial pick may be changed provided the change is made prior to that week's deadline.

4 - After a player picks a driver, that player cannot pick that same driver again for the remainder of the season.

5 - After the noon Friday deadline, players' picks are official and will be made public by way of a post to the board prior to the beginning of that week's race. Race results and game standings will be posted in the same thread after each race.

- Only the 36 points paying races are included in the game, meaning races such the Clash, the Daytona Duels, and the All-Star Race are not included.

7 - For each race, players will be awarded the number of points equal to the finishing position of their pick for that race, based upon NASCAR's official race results.

8 - The game's champion will be determined by the player with the fewest amount of points after the 36th and final points race. In the event of a season points tie, the game's champion will be awarded to the player with the most "1st place" picks, then the most "2nd place" picks, etc. until a champion is decided.

- If a player fails to make a timely pick for a given race, his pick for that week will be recorded as "NO PICK". If a player picks a driver that does not start the race or picks a driver that was previously used, it will not count as a "NO PICK."

10 - A player will be dropped from the game following his failure to make a pick for separate four races.

11 - If a player does not make a pick, picks a driver that does not start the race, or picks a driver that was previously used, the player will be awarded points equal to the number of drivers that started that race, plus one.

12 - Keeping in mind that a player will be dropped from the game after making a "NO PICK" for four races, the deadline to begin participating in the game has been established as the fourth race of the season. Any player that doesn't make a pick in any or all of the first three races will be awarded points for those races as specified by Rule #11.

13 - There is no restriction as to the number of players allowed to participate in the game. Because there is no restriction as to the number of players, there is no need to officially register. Beginning with the Daytona 500, but at least by the fourth race of the season, simply make a pick each week to be included.

- Any attempt to initiate a playoff points reset at any point during the season will cause the game to self-destruct immediately.

A belated awarding of the Champion's Plaque to @Snappy D, the winner of the 2017 Pick "Em game.

champion's plaque.jpg

I'm in, now to tell myself for a month lets come up with a plan and then procede to pull names out of my rear until September

I'm in as usual. And sticking to my plan, or am I? :D

I’m in....I won the inaugural season! And I think came in 3rd last year.

I am still OUT. Gastro Drs. orders. But I do recommend this game especially for all new to the forum this year.
All you have to do is make one driver pick per race, but that driver pick is it for the year. So spread
your picks out carefully according to driver ranking. Now since there is no Yahoo nascar, there is no
driver ranking system to refer to. That may present a few challenges or just look up
PJ's spread sheet from last year and start with that.
PJ spread sheets are really cool and keep you well informed during the season.
It will be fun to see how everyone does. Last season had a wild ending !

I hope to be IN again this year, but the sponsorship environment is tough, and we need additional fat cats partners to put the LewTheShoe Racing Mercury (to be announced) back on the track this year. But the amazing guys and gals back at the shop are burning the midnight oil to be ready!

I hope to be IN again this year, but the sponsorship environment is tough, and we need additional fat cats partners to put the LewTheShoe Racing Mercury (to be announced) back on the track this year. But the amazing guys and gals back at the shop are burning the midnight oil to be ready!
Have you inquired within the criminal community?

A belated awarding of the Champion's Plaque to @Snappy D, the winner of the 2017 Pick "Em game.

View attachment 31942
Cool plaque ha ha. Mark me down....I'll be in to defend my title, and to borrow a phrase "To Be The Man, You have To Beat The Man!" Joking aside, its a fun time and even better yet since this thread is a thing....racing isnt too far away.

The count is about 16 so far but there's plenty of time for more players to get on board.

I've found that about two dozen players is a manageable number of players to keep track of and easily fit onto a spreadsheet but if more than that are looking to play, that's fine by me.

What with the Yahoo game being gone, when filling out the picks-to-date spreadsheet I won't be able to use the Yahoo "A-B-C" grouping of drivers to classify a driver's relative strength as I did last year.

Right now I'm thinking of classifying drivers using the Yahoo grouping from last year with a few tweaks based upon the results from 2017. In any event, it's an arbitrary classification that is intended to assist players in picking drivers and not something required by the rules.

Also, for what it's worth, I intend to try my hand at the game this year. In an attempt at some degree of fairness, I'll make my pick prior to seeing what picks other players have made for a particular race.

Finally, a correction to the typo made in listing the game's rules.

10 - A player will be dropped from the game following his failure to make a pick for four races.

and so it goes . . .

The count is about 16 so far but there's plenty of time for more players to get on board.

I've found that about two dozen players is a manageable number of players to keep track of and easily fit onto a spreadsheet but if more than that are looking to play, that's fine by me.

What with the Yahoo game being gone, when filling out the picks-to-date spreadsheet I won't be able to use the Yahoo "A-B-C" grouping of drivers to classify a driver's relative strength as I did last year.

Right now I'm thinking of classifying drivers using the Yahoo grouping from last year with a few tweaks based upon the results from 2017. In any event, it's an arbitrary classification that is intended to assist players in picking drivers and not something required by the rules.

Also, for what it's worth, I intend to try my hand at the game this year. In an attempt at some degree of fairness, I'll make my pick prior to seeing what picks other players have made for a particular race.

Finally, a correction to the typo made in listing the game's rules.

10 - A player will be dropped from the game following his failure to make a pick for four races.

and so it goes . . .
You da man. Don't forget who started kissing ass first this year.

Close enough to Daytona...better make sure I'm IN this game if we get too many participants.

My first full season upcoming on this board, and I would be glad to participate. Please count me in.

I'm in, but have a feeling that I will miss the deadline several times :idunno:

If your going to be unavailable I believe that @pjmolo will let you put them in ahead of time. You can ask.

Along with the spreadsheets showing who's picked who to date, I'll try to issue pick reminders to the dead-beats as a way of keeping the game interesting with as many full-time participants as possible.

And yes, you can submit driver picks for future races if you'd like. Just keep your picks to the near future and send advance picks in a separate, race location titled message so I don't open it until after I've made my pick for that race.

My first full season upcoming on this board, and I would be glad to participate. Please count me in.

Anyone else coming upon their first full year on the board like him and me? We could have a little rookie of the year duel.

Although some feel there's as much luck to this game as skill, it'll be interesting to see how the returning players fare against the newbies. I'm pretty sure that last year's winner, @Snappy D, won the championship in his rookie year.

Along with the spreadsheets showing who's picked who to date, I'll try to issue pick reminders to the dead-beats as a way of keeping the game interesting with as many full-time participants as possible.

And yes, you can submit driver picks for future races if you'd like. Just keep your picks to the near future and send advance picks in a separate, race location titled message so I don't open it until after I've made my pick for that race.

Although some feel there's as much luck to this game as skill, it'll be interesting to see how the returning players fare against the newbies. I'm pretty sure that last year's winner, @Snappy D, won the championship in his rookie year.
I'm already putting my game plan together. It's too technical to wait until just before Daytona to get started. :confused:

player18.gif

I'm already putting my game plan together. It's too technical to wait until just before Daytona to get started. :confused:

player18.gif

I'd say the mug of beer is the primary component of the plan with the dart board being secondary. :D

Back
Top Bottom