NASCAR Pick 'Em 2019 - Phoenix #1

Discussion in 'NASCAR chat' started by pjmolo, Mar 4, 2019.

1. pjmolo

pjmolo Director of driver attitude adjustments . . .

The deadline for submittal of picks for the next race is Friday, March 8th, noon Eastern time.

2019 current standings - #3.jpg

FLRacingFan likes this.
  2. pjmolo

3. Elliott_Fan_9

Elliott_Fan_9 Formerly JJ_14

Thank you so much for doing this. I throughly appreciate it. I enjoy this game very much.

Turtle84, Team Penske, pjmolo and 4 others like this.
  4. Elliott_Fan_9

I've been really frustrated with my last two picks. I picked Stenhouse @ Atlanta & he starts on the front row. He had a super fast car, perhaps top 5. He has a speeding penalty & brings it 18th. I was pretty disgusted. Daniel Suarez finished in the top 10 that race.

The reason I bring up Suarez is because I picked Suarez last week. This past weekend, Stenhouse once again proved that those Roush cars are strong, as he managed a 6th place finish. Suarez was fast all day long but faded @ the end & finished 17th. I was disgusted once again.

If I invert those picks (Suarez @ Atlanta & Stenhouse @ Vegas), I'd be sitting #1 in the standings. 17th & 18th from those two guys could cost me the championship easily.

5. Johali

Johali Team Owner Contributor

Welcome to my world. :D

6. pjmolo

You ain't seen nuttin' yet.

There's still plenty of time for you to take home a couple of "Wipin' Up the Rear" awards. :D

7. Ashstrodamus

Ashstrodamus Team Owner

You ain't kidding. Byron and Bowman absolutely killed me late last year. I'm still dreading picking either one of those two.

Elliott_Fan_9 likes this.
  8. pjmolo

The 2019 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series continues its west coast swing at ISM Raceway in Phoenix with the running of the TicketGaurdian 500 this Sunday.

"A group" driver Kevin Harvick, who's had a top ten finish in 13 out of the last 14 races at this track (including 7 visits to Victory Lane), was not surprisingly the most popular pick, selected by five players.

William Byron was the second most popular pick, selected by four players.

The leader of the standings since almost the beginning of the season, @Head423, seems destined to lose that designation this week as he failed to submit a pick.

Finally, after the two of them submitted identical pick for two weeks in a row, @Turtle84 has apparently now prevented @FLRacingFan from hacking into his picks, saving game management from having to impose draconian measures of discipline.

dont-make-me-come-back-there.jpg
    Good luck to all and thanks for participating. :cheers:

#4 - Phoenix #1 picks.jpg

Fordracing7, REBS31, Turtle84 and 3 others like this.
  9. Brentford

Brentford Team Owner

@Head423 must not like runaways. Awfully nice of him to allow us to catch up so early in the season.

10. Turtle84

Turtle84 Team Owner

Ouch. I almost forgot too.

Immediate regrets not going Chase on an island!

No takers on my Curry propaganda either... dang it. I see a Houff tho, that's wild.

11. Mr Excitement

Mr Excitement Team Owner

[​IMG]

Turtle84, Elliott_Fan_9 and Snappy D like this.
  12. Head423

Head423 Crew Chief

I meant to submit Thursday night but forgot. Didn’t have any service today. Oh well I’ll play catch up for a few weeks.

13. Snappy D

Snappy D 2017 Pick Em Champion 2018 Bold Predictor

Nice Tony Soprano gif! Surprised only 3 of us went with the 88, the team usually does well here and Alex himself ran okay here last year, especially in the spring race. Ran well in 16 here as well filling in for Jr in the fall race. Hope he can do well here Sunday. Can’t believe so many picked Harvick so early

Mr Excitement and Elliott_Fan_9 like this.
  14. Elliott_Fan_9

That Michael McDowell pick @ Daytona could save your season & perhaps keep you in the championship hunt. Good luck!

Turtle84 likes this.
  15. Elliott_Fan_9

I went with Chris Buescher. He was pretty good a couple weeks ago @ Atlanta. He's a very underrated driver & his team has amped up their equipment.

- Starts P22, please get me a top 15 at least. Top 10 would be good (for both)...
    - Spring Phoenix finish: 29th
    - Fall Phoenix finish: 18th

This yr. he's got better equipment though.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  16. Turtle84

Turtle84 Team Owner

Started looking at the schedule, and came to the conclusion, what better place than Phoenix?

17. Elliott_Fan_9

Harvick is as safe of a choice as you're gonna get in this game at this track. We saw peeps pick Keselowski two weeks in a row & it paid dividends.

Turtle84 likes this.
  18. Johali

This game is whacky as hell and one of the hardest to beat that I've ever played and I've played a ton of racing games. There are too many variables to make "educated Guesses" that work out all of the time. That's one of the reasons that I love it and make my picks the way that I do. :D

[​IMG]

19. superchuck500

superchuck500 Crew Chief

Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with using an A driver early if you’re confident he will get the finish. A win, top three or top five finish counts as many points in March as in October.

I think it’s a slightly bigger risk early on though - as late in the season, the top playoff drivers tend to dominate those races and in the Spring there is more parity, it seems. But it’s never really a risk to run Harvick or Kyle at ISM.

Snappy D, Elliott_Fan_9 and Turtle84 like this.
  20. Team Penske

Team Penske Team Owner

I just hope Blaney lets me lead even if only for week.

21. Blaze

Blaze Midnight Rider

We are both looking good with that pick. I hope that lets me move up the standings a little bit.

Turtle84 and Elliott_Fan_9 like this.
  22. Elliott_Fan_9

Snappy D likes this.
  23. ChexOrWrex

ChexOrWrex Ya gotta wanna

It’s the new package

Turtle84 likes this.
  24. Snappy D

There’s two Phoenix races, id rather keep him for the fall race when it’s money time. If I can make it that far...

Turtle84 likes this.
  25. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

I'm just getting all the back markers out of the way.. by then I'll have a better idea of who is running well... might work.. probably not

:idunno:

Johali and Turtle84 like this.
  26. Snappy D

Good luck I tried that last year and was too far back when it was time to unleash the hounds. I think I finished top 20 or so. The key I found out was you have to get some value finishes for the jobber picks and then when it’s time to pick the A and higher B drivers they have to perform. I was a negative on both. I hope your strategy works for you.

Elliott_Fan_9 and Turtle84 like this.
  27. SlicedBread22

SlicedBread22 #TeamJL

Yeah I think you need top 20s with the B and C drivers and top 5s and 10s with A drivers to even be close.

28. Turtle84

Turtle84 Team Owner

lmao

Elliott_Fan_9 and ChexOrWrex like this.
  29. Turtle84

Turtle84 Team Owner

True true he's likely to make it that far in the playoffs. I have a certain other driver in mind for that one, hopefully he'll still be playoffing.

This game is tough. Love the strategy.

30. Johali

Yep. I've played this way since the second year of the game. 13th in 2018 and top 5 to 10 in the rest. And I'm happy with that.

31. pjmolo

earnhardt - first loser quote.jpg

So doesn't that make 5th place the 4th place loser ? :D

dirtfan, Elliott_Fan_9 and Johali like this.
  32. pjmolo

Love the strategy talk going on.

Dunno how much attention is paid to the "average points per race" stat that is listed every week but keep the champion's average in mind as somewhat of a goal for the season.

2014 - 15.6 - @FLRacingFan
    2015 - 14.3 - @Brentford
    2016 - 15.3 - @jpell15
    2017 - 15.2 - @Snappy D
    2018 - 13.9 - @Fordracing7
    2019 - ????

33. Johali

34. Johali

There fixed that for ya. :booya:

35. pjmolo

2019 - 6.2 - @Johali

And a 6.2 average points per race for the season is entirely doable provided that your picks average about a 4th or 5th place finish over the last 33 races. :D

Elliott_Fan_9 and Johali like this.
  36. Johali

:booya:

37. Elliott_Fan_9

I know who that driver is. ;)

Turtle84 and Johali like this.
  38. Johali

Chris Buescher? :confused::D

39. Elliott_Fan_9

No. I don't know what to write here. I'll say he's not a seasoned veteran.

40. Elliott_Fan_9

Thanks. I'm currently sitting @ 13.3. It's still very early, so technically everybody is mathematically within reach of first place. I didn't think I'd be sitting 4th at this stage of the season.

Turtle84 likes this.