NASCAR split

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
It's probably been talked about here before, but that was before my time, so I'm bringing this up for conversation. You think NASCAR will ever split into two separate series ala CART and IRL? I could be something like the old AFL going up against the NFL. I think that Bruton Smith would welcome a split if he could get the better drivers to come play with him, but in reality, I don't think he believes it would work. Especially not in today's economy. There are too many teams that are being threaten with closing doors because of lack of sponsor money. If there were a second series, the money would dry up quicker than you can say NA$CAR. Even the new TRAC series doesn't look like it will open when they thought, if it will at all. Top notch stock car racing has become so very expensive that it probably won't survive it's current make up. Just in the last five years, we've seen multi car teams grow and independents fall by the wayside. However, I would dearly love to see NASCAR split up into two separate divisions that work towards a common championship. How it would work, I don't know. But it would surely be a hoot.

I'm not real sure buck.......if you are talking about a "split" like IRL and CART then I think it would be a disaster for "newer" series.........NASCAR, for the foreseeable future is almost invincible. But, if you are talking about spin offs that compliment the stock car racing venue, then yeah!! I would love to see that..........that is actually what I was hoping TRAC would be.:)

DEW, I was talking more about a complete split, sort of like ARCA vs. NASCAR. It would be something totally out of the hands of NASCAR and if they were to compete for a championship, they would have to have the same rules. Now that would be hard to do since NASCAR seems to make a new rule daily. :) A few years back, some local tracks were a bit peaved at NASCAR and tried to start a new series, I believe it was the ARA or American Racing Association. The track at Hickory went along with it and it lasted only one year I believe. Now, they are back with NASCAR in the Weekly Racing Series. NASCAR does have the clout with the local tracks, but they have a take it or leave it attitude that I just don't care for. If the IRL is getting as exciting as people claim it is, and if NASCAR stays as boring as it has become, I look for fans to start migrating. If they do, and it would be slowly at first, I don't think NASCAR will do anything about it.

Okay..........I see what you are saying. Honest answer to your question......I don't see it happening.:) Why would a series of racing that is on the top of the heap make any effort at all to compete with a new series? And being a private company, they can pick and choose what they will and will not do........now if the fans do migrate to another series I don't think they would migrate to a series that is in direct competition with the one they are leaving. That's just a mindset that I think NASCAR fans have.......if they make the break from NASCAR they would make a clean break. IRL or CART would be my guess.:)

The only way this would happen, and I believe you're right, it won't, but if it did, it would have to be something like Smitty starting it on his own, using big bucks to woo any big team into his lair. Of course, any team that would go would be out for good of NASCAR. Blacklisted would be the word there. Anyway, if Smitty were to do this, he would have to have a lot of backing from a lot of high buck sources. And they wouldn't do it unless they were sure it would work. Too big of a risk unless there are guarentees from somone big, i.e. an Earnhardt or Gordon or something like that.

Not very likely to happen in the future, NASCAR is way to strong right now and is growing.

Doubt it will ever happen. Any attempt to do so simply won't last, because the loyalties are with NASCAR.

I don't know if I would say the loyalties are with NASCAR, but that NASCAR never forgets. When the drivers decided not to run Taladega because it was too fast. NASCAR said, go ahead and boycott, we'll find other drivers. They did and the rest is history. The name of this game is money and the teams, drivers and owners will go where the money is. If, and that's a big if, anyone can get enough money to compete with NASCAR, someone will go. Mark my word. If it starts to become successful, others will follow. Probably not the upper echelon, but middle and lower teams will. Just remember and say over and over again, MONEY!

I think what you may see---in the Not to far distance future--is "TWO" Races on the Same Day---at different Tracks.... One being the Standard--"Points" Race we are accustom to watching and the Other being a "MONEY RACE"--- with Big Bucks for the Winner.... Example---- Darlington-weekend... Points race pays--- $1 million dollar purse... Same weekend at Charlotte--- at 400 Mile----Race---with 8-10 Million on the Line...

NOW---where would the Loyalty go..??? and besides--- PAY FOR VIEW--on TBS----Huh..??? <G>

Only reason I bring this up---is because back when I Raced---Tracks used to Put on Big Shows for Holiday weekend Races--and Offer BIG Money for the Best Drivers and Cars to Show Up... I got "Tow Money--Food--Lodgeing"--and a Guarantee amount--to Come to the BIG Money Race--and Miss My Local Points Races...

Don't be a bit surprised--if you don't see this in the next 5 years....!

Back
Top Bottom