Discussion: Good old days vs. new style racing

Slow the cars down and all of the aerodynamic effects will be reduced in magnitude by a factor relative to the reduction in velocity squared.

Science.
Good then lift them off the track , get rid of the splitter make them more stock and not spec and we will have better racing, you seem to think we all here don't understand your aero dribble...we do, we get it.

Good then lift them off the track , get rid of the splitter make them more stock and not spec and we will have better racing, you seem to think we all here don't understand your aero dribble...we do, we get it.
One or both of the first two changes without a race speed reduction will create more problems than are solved.

Factual science referred to in a derogatory manner? How odd.

One or both of the first two changes without a race speed reduction will create more problems than are solved.

Factual science referred to in a derogatory manner? How odd.
Duh...what have i been saying right along slow the cars down, they don't need to be going over 200mph, smaller engine less horsepower, been saying this for years, are you just being obtuse on purpose today? Seriously these cars don't need to go as fast as they are, more speed more aero push, it equates to lousy racing and has for about 10 years now.

I don't think going 200 MPH was the reason ANY of the people I worked for were involved in racing. They all just wanted to be part of the show, whether the show was at Kil-Kare and Berlin or Talladega.
It doesn’t matter where they were or what race speeds were registered. I made a very simple statement alluding to the fact that racers aspire to go faster.

If those folks weren’t trying to do that, I can only draw one conclusion.

Duh...what have i been saying right along slow the cars down, they don't need to be going over 200mph, smaller engine less horsepower, been saying this for years, are you just being obtuse on purpose today? Seriously these cars don't need to go as fast as they are, more speed more aero push, it equates to lousy racing and has for about 10 years now.

I think Aunty takes perverse pleasure in being obtuse. :) I think what some of are saying is, NASCAR has tried about 50 different ways to get better racing. Why not test a car with about 650 HP and 1985 aero numbers? Can't be any worse than everything else they have tried. Remember that you would STILL have the roof flaps, cowl flaps and right side window to help counteract any attempts at flight.

It doesn’t matter where they were or what race speeds were registered. I made a very simple statement alluding to the fact that racers aspire to go faster.

If those folks weren’t trying to do that, I can only draw one conclusion.
So tell us this, is going over 200mph advantageous to the quality of Cup racing as it stands today?

I think Aunty takes perverse pleasure in being obtuse. :) I think what some of are saying is, NASCAR has tried about 50 different ways to get better racing. Why not test a car with about 650 HP and 1985 aero numbers? Can't be any worse than everything else they have tried. Remember that you would STILL have the roof flaps, cowl flaps and right side window to help counteract any attempts at flight.
I've been advocating this now ever since we had pack 3 wide racing at Daytona. The racing was so much better when the cars were in the range of 185-190, and not glued to the track, sucked down by the splitter and side skirts.

It doesn’t matter where they were or what race speeds were registered. I made a very simple statement alluding to the fact that racers aspire to go faster .

Yes, and sanctioning bodies have the job of keeping it under control. Dial the speeds back 20 MPH. When the teams get 10 MPH of it back, cut something else. The trick is to be the fastest car, whether that is 225 or 165.

Why do you enjoy this type of racing? Why is pack racing at plate tracks a good thing when all it does is tare up 2/3 if the field in accidents?
We’re not discussing plate tracks. I don’t feel the need to explain why I enjoy the 200 mph racing we are discussing.

Why do you enjoy fishing?

I don’t know.

Some people don’t enjoy it. I and others do.

The very first Cup race I ever went to was the August 1983 race at Michigan. The pole speed was 165 MPH. I've seen dozens of races these since, and other than the 1985 IROC Harry Gant/Terry Labonte dual, that was STILL the best race I have seen there. Adding 40 MPH to the pole speed has done not ONE thing for the show, which is why I stopped going to races there quite some time ago.

The very first Cup race I ever went to was the August 1983 race at Michigan. The pole speed was 165 MPH. I've seen dozens of races these since, and other than the 1985 IROC Harry Gant/Terry Labonte dual, that was STILL the best race I have seen there. Adding 40 MPH to the pole speed has done not ONE thing for the show, which is why I stopped going to races there quite some time ago.
I agree again, going 218 into turn 1, does nothing for me. I'd rather watch good racing at 185, than the crap we have today.

I agree again, going 218 into turn 1, does nothing for me. I'd rather watch good racing at 185, than the crap we have today.

You need to buy more bandwidth and get on YouTube. Plenty of old style races for you guys that want to watch slower racing. It ain't happening today.

... but is the racing better now than it was 20-25 years ago in your opinion and why?
You just don’t get me at all.

I have never seen an auto race at the track, on television or from my own meager seat in the field that didn’t give me pleasure. Time goes by and things change in this and every other aspect of life. I adapt.

You just don’t get me at all.

I have never seen an auto race at the track, on television or from my own meager seat in the field that didn’t give me pleasure. Time goes by and things change in this and every other aspect of life. I adapt.
Yep I get it, but if the racing sucks, you just say oh well ...it's still racing and that's all that matters?

You need to buy more bandwidth and get on YouTube. Plenty of old style races for you guys that want to watch slower racing. It ain't happening today.
Dude....I watched many of those old races live, I don't need to watch them again to know the racing was better then than it is now. ;)

Some people don’t enjoy the current competition at Michigan and elsewhere. I do.

Some people like tofu. Not me.

Yep I get it, but if the racing sucks, you just say oh well ...it's still racing and that's all that matters?
Give it a rest. In my opinion, the racing does not suck and for that reason, I have no need to say “oh, well” or anything else.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

Give it a rest. In my opinion, the racing does not suck and for that reason, I have no need to say “oh, well” or anything else.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion.
Yep you too, but I will say this ...if the racing were so good, there wouldn't be sponors, fans, and tv viewers exiting in droves.

Come on, friends. Some of y'all are turning this into a private argument forum.
I seriously doubt that you are going to agree, or even agree to disagree.
Please consider taking the arguing off open forum --- either privately, or in The Podium.

Come on, friends. Some of y'all are turning this into a private argument forum.
I seriously doubt that you are going to agree, or even agree to disagree.
Please consider taking the arguing off open forum --- either privately, or in The Podium.
I thought this was a debate about the problems in Nascar? :idunno: this isn't podium material.

Maybe not. We could race top fuels and have 300mph cars. Gonna suck as for a race but hey they will be fast baby .

Sling shot, schmingshot we need to do anything that will pop that bubble drivers complain build in these new cars.
I guess your not familiar with the slingshot move of the early 90's. After all isn't this what most are clamoring for? By the way this car was called the "Twisted Sister". Do you know why?

I guess your not familiar with the slingshot move of the early 90's. After all isn't this what most are clamoring for? By the way this car was called the "Twisted Sister". Do you know why?

Hi, Pete, I know why. It was named after Dee Snider

Attachments

• 691ec6c3e67e59ee5949866bb135be19.jpg
    691ec6c3e67e59ee5949866bb135be19.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 113
Yes, and sanctioning bodies have the job of keeping it under control. Dial the speeds back 20 MPH. When the teams get 10 MPH of it back, cut something else. The trick is to be the fastest car, whether that is 225 or 165.
I don't think the fastest car wins Daytona anymore. It is more what couple of cars can team up to go faster than the others.
IMO it takes a very smart racer in the lead and the best pusher in a car that matches up with the lead car. I don't like super speedway racing and if truth be known the people that do really just want to see the big one a couple of times if possible.

Back
Top Bottom