Nascar Trivia

Who was the driver and what year?

Don't look it up!
4e58e874633fc0c101b6cbd4b6b434d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It's been 3 years since the last question, so I'll post a new one. I answered the last question anyway, lol.

Aside from his fluke Daytona 500 win, what other track did Derrike Cope win at in the Cup series?

It's been 3 years since the last question, so I'll post a new one. I answered the last question anyway, lol.

Aside from his fluke Daytona 500 win, what other track did Derrike Cope win at in the Cup series?

It wasn't a fluke. Yeah, maybe Earnhardt SHOULD have won it, but he didn't. Cope ran strong all day, was in the right place at the right time, and capitalized. And the fact that he won another race at a different track, the same year, proves it wasn't a fluke.

I doubt you meant it that way, but I see all kinds of comments (not on R-F) about how Cope sucked and had one lucky win his whole career, which is incorrect.

It wasn't a fluke. Yeah, maybe Earnhardt SHOULD have won it, but he didn't. Cope ran strong all day, was in the right place at the right time, and capitalized. And the fact that he won another race at a different track, the same year, proves it wasn't a fluke.

I doubt you meant it that way, but I see all kinds of comments (not on R-F) about how Cope sucked and had one lucky win his whole career, which is incorrect.
To me it was somewhat flukey in the sense that he never came close to winning another big event like that 500. Also, it took one of the craziest turn of events (flat tire on the last corner of the final lap) to pull it off.

I wasn't trying to disrespect Cope's accomplishment. He's a Daytona 500 winner, not a small feat.

@sdj had the correct answer to my question. Your turn to ask a question, if you desire.

Until Cope won the Dayton a 500, he only had five top ten finishes in 71 races. That year he made a respectable showing and thereafter, was little more than a footnote indicating he was the 1990 Daytona 500 winner. A difficult feat for any team but Cope never seemed to have what it takes to be a consistent competitor. He actually showed consistency in the Xfinity Series but even then was not stellar.

Cope did win at Dover the same year.
Cope lucked into the Daytona win and would have finished a respectable second had Earnhardt not cut down a tire. And had Cope not been the recipient of that unfortunate situation and finished second, who would have remembered? Those were the two highlights of his career and achievements very few ever attain. Not taking anything away from Cope but his record speaks for itself.

Back
Top Bottom