Nascar TV Revenue

Team Penske

Team Owner
I was watching the news (here in Canada) and they were reporting on Apple's lack of sales for i pads and i phones. It seems they are changing their business practice to compete with Amazon and Netflix as well as other streaming Canadian Businesses. It looks like cable and satellite may become transmission methods of the past. That means Fox 1 and the NBC equivalent are doomed for failure regardless of their huge investment in Nascar. Not sure how other sports are going to handle this but the revenue loss would be bad for Nascar and tracks. It could mean that Nascar shrinks it's program to only include their own tracks leaving Smith out in the cold or he sell off his tracks.

I would like to know if anyone else has information on this subject.

I don't see cable going away. The idea of going a la carte was that you'd spend less subscribing solely to the channels or families of networks you want; instead, people are finding out that networks need to charge more for individual subscriptions or passes since they are no longer being subsidized by people who were paying them through big cable packages even if they weren't watching. That, and networks are cleverly figuring out ways to get people to pay for both cable and whatever streaming services they desire. Eventually, people are just going to go back to wanting cable.

I don't know what NBC's targets for NBCSN are, but they seemed to be filling the niche sports role pretty well. Underexposure in some respects might be of concern but I don't think they ever made becoming the next ESPN their goal as FOX have with FS1. FS1 is only taking off, BTW - lots of growth these past few years after a bumpy start.

Amazon might be the only big streaming service provider interested in spors. Netflix aren't about it, and Apple's presentation today seemed to focus more on the idea of making their own original content as well.

I was watching the news (here in Canada) and they were reporting on Apple's lack of sales for i pads and i phones. It seems they are changing their business practice to compete with Amazon and Netflix as well as other streaming Canadian Businesses. It looks like cable and satellite may become transmission methods of the past. That means Fox 1 and the NBC equivalent are doomed for failure regardless of their huge investment in Nascar. Not sure how other sports are going to handle this but the revenue loss would be bad for Nascar and tracks. It could mean that Nascar shrinks it's program to only include their own tracks leaving Smith out in the cold or he sell off his tracks.

How are they doomed to failure? If they move to streaming content they get paid just like if on satellite or Cable.

How are they doomed to failure? If they move to streaming content they get paid just like if on satellite or Cable.
Apparently you haven't been reading the Satellite and Cable Deathbed Thread.

I don't see Apple being a game changer in eliminating anything, especially Satellite or Cable. Apple is understandably going for another source of revenue in an already overpopulated market. They'll simply be yet another choice but far from the only one.

@FLRacingFan's a la carte idea..... Now there's a great idea. One that used to exist long ago in the satellite television world before DirecTV and Dish. Pay for what you want and watch rather than a plethora of meaningless channels.

The only reasons cable companies are still in households is due to people watching live events as well as paying for the ISP bundles.

If the government ever gets its hand out of the ISP pocket, cable TV providers will be in a world of hurt. The home internet industry is not competitive and this keeps standalone service crazy expensive. The bundles are more affordable for most people.

If wireless 5G ever takes off or if the government eases the restrictions on kickstarting and ISP, cable companies will have to adapt tremendously or risk going under before their next financial reports are released.

TV isn't going away like I think a lot of the streaming companies and lot of people have said.

NASCAR is doing quite well year to year with the Fox Sports Go & NBC Sports streaming numbers IIRC. But not nearly enough to make a huge dent into things currently.

If wireless 5G ever takes off or if the government eases the restrictions on kickstarting and ISP, cable companies will have to adapt tremendously or risk going under before their next financial reports are released.
It'd be awesome if they could get 4G to work everywhere first. Unless they erect a massive amount of towers in short order, many of us in the US would be without any option to use as an entertainment service. Heck, I've got to have an internet connection just to run my network extender for Verizon service.

True, Do you think he revenue for streaming will be anything close to what Fox and NBC pay now?

True, Do you think he revenue for streaming will be anything close to what Fox and NBC pay now?
I think it will be about the same, for now you still have cable and satellite along with the new streaming services so if it starts to lean heavier to the streaming( which it will) they will adjust pricing accordingly imo.

I think the biggest threat to NASCAR’s broadcast revenue is the deal(s) they have to sign when the current contract(s) expire. Some people are sure the rights fees will drop while others think things will remain the same.

I don't see cable going away. The idea of going a la carte was that you'd spend less subscribing solely to the channels or families of networks you want; instead, people are finding out that networks need to charge more for individual subscriptions or passes since they are no longer being subsidized by people who were paying them through big cable packages even if they weren't watching. That, and networks are cleverly figuring out ways to get people to pay for both cable and whatever streaming services they desire. Eventually, people are just going to go back to wanting cable.

I don't know what NBC's targets for NBCSN are, but they seemed to be filling the niche sports role pretty well. Underexposure in some respects might be of concern but I don't think they ever made becoming the next ESPN their goal as FOX have with FS1. FS1 is only taking off, BTW - lots of growth these past few years after a bumpy start.

Amazon might be the only big streaming service provider interested in spors. Netflix aren't about it, and Apple's presentation today seemed to focus more on the idea of making their own original content as well.
I don't either , and if fact, the ways things are going with all these streaming services coming online, I can see a new form of cable created but for streaming services. We are starting to see that content creators starting their own streaming services and I see this trend not stopping anytime soon, why license when you can just stream the content yourself.

I don't either , and if fact, the ways things are going with all these streaming services coming online, I can see a new form of cable created but for streaming services. We are starting to see that content creators starting their own streaming services and I see this trend not stopping anytime soon, why license when you can just stream the content yourself.
Nascar is starting their own foray into it by going thru Fans Choice TV for free of charge. Some of the lower level races will be broadcasted there. It could lead to an all Nascar channel, who knows. If they combined all of the racing series they own world wide, there is a lot of content to broadcast.

If NASCAR can squeeze out a similar broadcast deal as the last go round then the status quo will likely remain. If the broadcast dollars are going to drop in the next go round then it makes sense to try and go it alone. Of course they could buy time from TBN or something like it too!

I think the biggest threat to NASCAR’s broadcast revenue is the deal(s) they have to sign when the current contract(s) expire. Some people are sure the rights fees will drop while others think things will remain the same.
If NASCAR can squeeze out a similar broadcast deal as the last go round then the status quo will likely remain. If the broadcast dollars are going to drop in the next go round then it makes sense to try and go it alone. Of course they could buy time from TBN or something like it too!
I think the next rights deal will be for larger amounts than the current contracts.

Premium content and the broadcasters know it.

I think the next rights deal will be for larger amounts than the current contracts.

Premium content and the broadcasters know it.
comparing what is getting paid for cable sports content, it's hard not to believe that it will be so five, six years from now. What the networks paid and locked in looks like more of a better deal for the networks as time goes on. I sure don't hear any of the players grumbling..But if they do decide to do so, we got one or two here that can give them some pointers. :p

Back
Top Bottom