NBC coverage still TERRIBLE

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
as I watched the race, there was this odd light blue car running in 3rd or 4th place. I must have watched 10 minutes before I finally figured out this was trevor bayne! The guy doesn't normally run that far upfront even on a road course but the announcers never mentioned him. The NBC coverage really seems fixated on a certain aspect of the race rather than the entire race as a whole. They don't cover repairs on pit road well. I know everyone likes parker but the pit reporting isn't very good either.

The other thing there is not excuse for is the camera work isn't good either. The moving overhead shots were great but they had really fast whip arounds where the camera swung wildly into position. The other problem was they moved the race to USA network so olympic mens basketball could be watched. I had to do some searching to even find the USA network and reset my DVR. I think your casual fan would not be so dedicated to look for and seek out the race. This is all something nascar should have done a better job at negotiating in the TV deal they signed. It sounds crazy that the deal they took involved more money but less viewers to the races. I also don't think the trio in the booth is that good. rick, gets too excited and steve and jeff are kinda boring. man I miss the fox team.

I am going to be honest, I really dont care if the not so dedicated fans didnt seek out the race on Sunday, thats part why NASCAR is in the state is in, trying to cater to the casual's , so they can just bugger on down the road for all I care.

But USA is in more homes than NBC S/N or FS1/2 , so in that case, it was good for NASCAR being on that cable channel for one race.

. The other problem was they moved the race to USA network so olympic mens basketball could be watched. I had to do some searching to even find the USA network and reset my DVR.

Seriously? :XXROFL:

USA is the most watched cable television network. And has been for 10 years and counting.

I am going to be honest, I really dont care if the not so dedicated fans didnt seek out the race on Sunday, thats part why NASCAR is in the state is in, trying to cater to the casual's , so they can just bugger on down the road for all I care.

But USA is in more homes than NBC S/N or FS1/2 , so in that case, it was good for NASCAR being on that cable channel for one race.

I don't think Nascar caters to casual fans as I believe there are not many like me left. I think overwhelmingly the remaining Nascar fans are die hards who are committed to the series regardless of what transpires. Yes there are things the die hards don't care for but they have the ability to overlook those things and not let them bother them.

I don't think Nascar caters to casual fans as I believe there are not many like me left. I think overwhelmingly the remaining Nascar fans are die hards who are committed to the series regardless of what transpires. Yes there are things the die hards don't care for but they have the ability to overlook those things and not let them bother them.
Maybe you are right, maybe not, its hard to tell at times just who NASCAR is targeting sometimes, some could say they are targeting the stick and ball sports fans with the Game 7 Championship style playoff system , some could say NASCAR is targeting the fans with the attention spans of gnats with using the caution clock because they cant sit through green flag runs longer than 10 laps.

Seriously? :XXROFL:

USA is the most watched cable television network. And has been for 10 years and counting.

The last stats I read are about a year old and show USA network in about 95 million homes and NBCS in about 85 million. I figured USA would be a lot further ahead but both FS1 (85 million as well) NBCS are doing quite well. ESPN is in 93 million homes so IDK why the ratings have fallen as much as they have from when ESPN carried Nascar.

Only NASCAR fans would complain about a race being moved from NBCSN, which they've complained about not getting, to USA, which they get.
I know right!!

You and me both know, next year, there are going to be complaining about not getting FS1/2 and how FOX sucks.

I can't imagine taking 10 minutes to comprehend that the light blue 6 car was being driven by Trevor Bayne.

Perhaps if the young lad was able to somehow lead a lap or two every 20 races or so, the on-air commentators would have something to work with.

Maybe you are right, maybe not, its hard to tell at times just who NASCAR is targeting sometimes, some could say they are targeting the stick and ball sports fans with the Game 7 Championship style playoff system , some could say NASCAR is targeting the fans with the attention spans of gnats with using the caution clock because they cant sit through green flag runs longer than 10 laps.

I think it is safe to say that whatever audience Nascar is targeting they are missing the mark there is no growth in the fan base.

I think it is safe to say that whatever audience Nascar is targeting they are missing the mark there is no growth in the fan base.
I think that is safe to say as well, While I am not a NASCAR defender, I sometimes fill sorry for them, NASCAR fans just love to bitch about everything.

Only NASCAR fans would complain about a race being moved from NBCSN, which they've complained about not getting, to USA, which they get.
But Andrew ... a channel search had to be undertaken. A DVR, somehow programmed to record the event on NBCSN, had to be reset.

If you're able, try to imagine the stress ... the mental anguish.

I know right!!

You and me both know, next year, there are going to be complaining about not getting FS1/2 and how FOX sucks.

FOX works well for me as I like Mike Joy and was surprised at how good Jeff Gordon was in the booth Larry Mc doesn't bother me either. I either try and ignore DW or just remember what a great racer he was. I only watch the broadcast and FF if Michael or other people chime in.

For me NBC sucked last year and sucks again this year as the play by play guy (3 WIDE, SIDEWAYS) is a complete doofus and the other 2 talk too much about nothing.

I think that is safe to say as well, While I am not a NASCAR defender, I sometimes fill sorry for them, NASCAR fans just love to bitch about everything.

I know what you mean as if I am listening to a football program the people calling in aren't complaining about the broadcasts sucking or complaining about the commissioner or others in the head office. I don't know if that sort of thing is just the nature of racing and the fans or fans of stick and ball sports are more easy going and easy to please.

I think NBC's overall coverage is gpod (excluding commercials), but their announcers are more awful than....well, awful. I'll take DW any day over the NBC trio.

But Andrew ... a channel search had to be undertaken. A DVR, somehow programmed to record the event on NBCSN, had to be reset.

Funny, my DVR records NASCAR regardless of what channel it's on. And I know DIRECTV does the same thing.

They said countless times during the Pocono broadcast and during the week on NASCAR.com that the Watkins Glen race was on USA.

I record all the races manually so I need to check and see what network is broadcasting the race and what time and day it will be on. I do understand that it could be confusing and represent an issue for some especially if the person is older and not the least bit technologically inclined. Remember.....VCR's blinked at 12:00 in many homes as people did not know how to set them.

Andy, we all thought NBC was going to be great this year. We were all wrong. They've not been even close to great. It's ok to admit we were wrong and change our minds. No use defending something which is clearly indefensible.

I think NBC's overall coverage is gpod (excluding commercials), but their announcers are more awful than....well, awful. I'll take DW any day over the NBC trio.

I don't care for many of the camera angles each network uses but it doesn't seem to be a hot button issue with others. If I had any say in the matter all 3 in the NBC booth would be canned even though I have no idea who I would replace them with.

FOX works well for me as I like Mike Joy and was surprised at how good Jeff Gordon was in the booth Larry Mc doesn't bother me either. I either try and ignore DW or just remember what a great racer he was. I only watch the broadcast and FF if Michael or other people chime in.

For me NBC sucked last year and sucks again this year as the play by play guy (3 WIDE, SIDEWAYS) is a complete doofus and the other 2 talk too much about nothing.
I like FOX , but a lot times DW and MW are a little too much, I too was very surprised just how well Jeff did, and look forward to next year, as I always do , and at the same time, I like NBC, I think the booth does an ok job, I am not a fan of Rick at all, outside of that, I have no real issues with NBC.

Andy, we all thought NBC was going to be great this year. We were all wrong. They've not been even close to great. It's ok to admit we were wrong and change our minds. No use defending something which is clearly indefensible.
You know what, NBC was great last year, and this year, they are not reaching the bar they set last year , something feels off, so I am probably the second biggest supporter of NBC here, and I can admit that.

NBC doesn't air the entire race from on board cameras so that's still an improvement to me. And I'd be fine with Jeff Burton being replaced. Like Steve Letarte though.

And like I said in another thread, watch the Truck races on FS1 and you'll see how bad those broadcasts are now without Rick Allen.

NBC doesn't air the entire race from on board cameras so that's still an improvement to me. And I'd be fine with Jeff Burton being replaced. Like Steve Letarte though.

And like I said in another thread, watch the Truck races on FS1 and you'll see how bad those broadcasts are now without Rick Allen.
Agreed, I think Jeff needs to go, and its my opinion that they are underusing Steve.

Yes, the truck coverage is pretty horrid with out Rick, and thats saying something.

Agreed, I think Jeff needs to go, and its my opinion that they are underusing Steve.

Yes, the truck coverage is pretty horrid with out Rick, and thats saying something.

Both networks have done a fine job this year and I think that's why people are hating on NBC, because Fox's coverage wasn't horrid. Fox still does a terrible job with using on board cameras and tight shots way too much, the graphics are still horrendous and Darrell Waltrip is still annoying. But the addition of Jeff Gordon in the booth and going back to using the traditional NASCAR on Fox theme were two very welcome changes that enhanced the coverage greatly.

The other thing to consider, the races on Fox (Daytona 500, Atlanta, Phoenix, Martinsville, Bristol, Sonoma) were just better races than the **** NBC has been stuck with. The summer stretch is just very, very bland and TV coverage can't fix that.

Both networks have done a fine job this year and I think that's why people are hating on NBC, because Fox's coverage wasn't horrid. Fox still does a terrible job with using on board cameras and tight shots way too much, the graphics are still horrendous and Darrell Waltrip is still annoying. But the addition of Jeff Gordon in the booth and going back to using the traditional NASCAR on Fox theme were two very welcome changes that enhanced the coverage greatly.

The other thing to consider, the races on Fox (Daytona 500, Atlanta, Phoenix, Martinsville, Bristol, Sonoma) were just better races than the sh!t NBC has been stuck with. The summer stretch is just very, very bland and TV coverage can't fix that.
Yes, I think you are right, they didnt have a lot to complain about with FOX this year( but I do recall a lot complaining about commercials during FOX's portion) and I am soooooo happy they finally dropped the Football theme and brought back the NOF theme, I love that freaking theme. Overall, FOX was better this year from last year, I think Jeff coming helped a lot, more so with him being fresh out of the race car. Yes, I hate their graphic's package, NBC's graphics package blows theirs outa the water any day of the week, and more on Sunday, its provides useful information.

Yes, I think you are right, they didnt have a lot to complain about with FOX this year( but I do recall a lot complaining about commercials during FOX's portion) and I am soooooo happy they finally dropped the Football theme and brought back the NOF theme, I love that freaking theme. Overall, FOX was better this year from last year, I think Jeff coming helped a lot, more so with him being fresh out of the race car. Yes, I hate their graphic's package, NBC's graphics package blows theirs outa the water any day of the week, and more on Sunday, its provides useful information.

Daytona wasn't a good race. Didn't see Kentucky so don't know about it. New Hampshire is New Hampshire. Indianapolis hasn't been a good race in, well, ever. Pocono was aided by rain. Watkins Glen was just a cluster**** crashfest.

TV coverage can't fix that. The teams have figured out the new package and put aero right back in it. Races are as bad as last year right now. If not worse.

Daytona wasn't a good race. Didn't see Kentucky so don't know about it. New Hampshire is New Hampshire. Indianapolis hasn't been a good race in, well, ever. Pocono was aided by rain. Watkins Glen was just a cluster**** crashfest.

TV coverage can't fix that. The teams have figured out the new package and put aero right back in it. Races are as bad as last year right now. If not worse.
Oh darn, I was totally going to address your second part of the post, about summer stretch races, so I am going to do that now.

Yes, the summer stretch races are not the best for on track action in most cases , so that doenst leave NBC a lot to work with, so you have a valid point there, and now that we are heading into Bristol with the summer six pack outa the way lol( TNT reference) , and heading back to some tracks that could produce more exciting racing, I think NBC is going to get in their groove that they had last year.

Yes, the summer stretch races are not the best for on track action in most cases , so that doenst leave NBC a lot to work with, so you have a valid point there, and now that we are heading into Bristol with the summer six pack outa the way lol( TNT reference) , and heading back to some tracks that could produce more exciting racing, I think NBC is going to get in their groove that they had last year.

Bristol isn't very great either. #MakeBristolGreatAgain

I noticed the camera work is really bad this year. Lots of times it jerks in one direction or randomly zooms in quickly on no particular object.

Back
Top Bottom