Netflix Docu about Bubba Wallace

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Netflix states that “the series will take viewers behind the scenes of the 2021 NASCAR season through the eyes of the only Black driver at the top level of the sport, and will explore Wallace, 23XI Racing, and NASCAR’s efforts to advocate for inclusion and equality in racing and beyond.”

cheesepuffs

Smokes, let's go
Sunnyvale Trailer Park, Nova Scotia, Canada
The problem is that people are gonna watch this series and then see Bubba running 21st when they actually try to watch some races. Focusing on him is the same mistake they made when they gave Danica a disproportionate amount of attention. If you're gonna market one driver this hard then they better be contending for wins or else that new interest isn't going to stick

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
The problem is that people are gonna watch this series and then see Bubba running 21st when they actually try to watch some races. Focusing on him is the same mistake they made when they gave Danica a disproportionate amount of attention. If you're gonna market one driver this hard then they better be contending for wins or else that new interest isn't going to stick
While I understand the ROI companies like Netflix see with latching on to Bubba, I really hope he does find consistent speed soon. I like his personality, he’s a young guy, and has the opportunity to prove himself. I’m certain he would rather have sponsorship and team doors open up to him because of his talent rather than his skin color or social beliefs. There are other “minority” drivers in the sport today who have had more success than him, he’s just the popular one right now - for better or for worse.

I’ll be interested to see if this series is set to focus on his racing career and show a serious side of NASCAR, rather than making Wallace out to be a victim.

gnomesayin

Team Owner

The first season of Netflix's "Drive to Survive" focused on backmarker teams, and was a big hit with non-racing fans. I suspect they are trying to do something similar with this.

Revman

TRD
While I understand the ROI companies like Netflix see with latching on to Bubba, I really hope he does find consistent speed soon. I like his personality, he’s a young guy, and has the opportunity to prove himself. I’m certain he would rather have sponsorship and team doors open up to him because of his talent rather than his skin color or social beliefs. There are other “minority” drivers in the sport today who have had more success than him, he’s just the popular one right now - for better or for worse.

I’ll be interested to see if this series is set to focus on his racing career and show a serious side of NASCAR, rather than making Wallace out to be a victim.
I have questions....

Do you have a source to cite that "...team doors open up to him..." because of "...his skin color or social beliefs," or is that your opinion? I believe that Denny Hamlin who is part owner of 23IX said something quite different in referring to Bubba's talent.

If you had the chance, would you tell Bubba to his face that he is here because of his "skin color or social beliefs?"

Why did you put minority in quotes?

Would you refer to Chase Elliott as the "popular one" in reference to white drivers....or all drivers?

Racial equality is the serious side of NASCAR, and Bubba is a victim of 400 years of oppression. The organization is trying to be a small part in fixing that after having a long history of being part of the problem. I find that interesting and timely...good on Netflix.

I know what is coming, but I'm not letting this kind of thing go. Block me or ban me, but please spare me....just think. We have work to do, and this post is proof in my opinion.

Revman

TRD
I don't think NASCAR made a mistake with Danica, and I don't think they are making a mistake with Bubba. Hyping those drivers sends a message of opportunity and equality to those who have not had it. That's all this is about....opportunity. The rest is performance. Some with pan out, some won't. The story is in the opportunity, and that is not a mistake IMO.

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
Do you have a source to cite that "...team doors open up to him..." because of "...his skin color or social beliefs," or is that your opinion? I believe that Denny Hamlin who is part owner of 23IX said something quite different in referring to Bubba's talent.
I didn’t say that doors have opened because of his skin color or beliefs, I said I’m certain he’d rather have them because of his talent. Otherwise it’s an insult to his intelligence and work ethic. Bubba gets accused of only having his opportunities for menial and uncontrollable reasons and I hope the docu shows otherwise.

If you had the chance, would you tell Bubba to his face that he is here because of his "skin color or social beliefs?"

No, because that’s not what I would believe. I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Why did you put minority in quotes?
Because I find the term disparaging in the context that it’s used when talking about groups of people. Are they statistically in the minority when it comes to numbers? Yes. Are they less of a person, or smaller, as an individual? No. I find that defining people by what demographic they fall in to is counterproductive.

Would you refer to Chase Elliott as the "popular one" in reference to white drivers....or all drivers?
I refer to Chase Elliott as popular by fans. I don’t care about the race of drivers, that is something they are not in control of and skin color doesn’t define popularity. Bubba was popular enough to be voted in to the all star race a few seasons ago but unfortunately wrecked out in the Open.
Bubba is a victim of 400 years of oppression.
Bubba is one of the best race car drivers in the world and has huge opportunities in front of him. He’s not a victim of anything. He’s overcome doubters. He’s overcome mental health struggles. He’s overcome unnecessary vitriol. He has the same opportunity to succeed as the top drivers in the Cup series, which is a ton more than 90% of the rest of the field. He’s said that his theme for 2021 is “no excuses”. Don’t invite victimhood an as excuse for him.

Revman

TRD
Just to make sure I fully understood, I looked up the definition of victim and oppression.
I personally don't think I have enough information to agree or disagree and I wonder how you can make this statement as fact.
We have work to do.

ChexOrWrex

Ya gotta wanna
One of the biggest obstacles NASCAR has to overcome with the general sports fan is proving that these drivers and crew members are athletes as well as the technicalities of why a team may be running mid pack when they have the “same” equipment as their teammate(s) who are running for wins. When Bubba went on I Am Athlete, it was good exposure and a fun conversation to watch but you could tell none of those high profile NFL names did any research before inviting him. At one point Bubba was asked if a NASCAR race car was called an Indy Car. It was super cringy for a NASCAR fan and I’d assume that a sports fan not familiar with NASCAR didn’t learn much. I hope the Netflix series can highlight why NASCAR can be an engaging sport.

Danica was in commercials, on posters, etc... and for several years the network would have an out of the blue race update on Danica for no other reason other than that she was Danica. Her being in Cup certainly opened up many girl’s eyes to racing, but it was difficult to see so much promotion for a driver that struggled so mightily when other young drivers who had talent flew under the radar. If someone can’t enjoy NASCAR just because their same gender or skin color isn’t on the track, then that person probably isn’t looking to be entertained by the sport to begin with. One thing that I think hinders driver diversity (the garage is made up of people from all backgrounds) is the ability for people to get involved in high level racing. Not everyone has a local track but everyone has a high school with sports available. Racing isnt available in school, and nobody is going to college for free from auto racing. The development for almost every other sport is available to anyone in lower education. To be involved in racing, so many more factors go into it.

I hope to see many points like this brought to light in this series or others that might branch off from this.

Revman

TRD
I get my posts deleted for harmless comments but SJW's are free to post their drivel. Great.
At least keep these threads about racing.
Chin up. I saw it....and you are right, but we are working on it. We have work to do. Hope you enjoyed the race.

cheesepuffs

Smokes, let's go
I don't think NASCAR made a mistake with Danica, and I don't think they are making a mistake with Bubba. Hyping those drivers sends a message of opportunity and equality to those who have not had it. That's all this is about....opportunity. The rest is performance. Some with pan out, some won't. The story is in the opportunity, and that is not a mistake IMO.
Danica increased her opportunities not by succeeding on track but by posing semi-nude for men's magazines to boost her celebrity and turn that celebrity into a pitch to potential sponsors. How does that send a positive message of opportunity and equality to have one of the most popular racecar drivers put on a media pedestal for their ability to whore themselves out instead of for their talent behind the wheel?

Old Kid

Team Owner
Contributor
100% agree. I so look forward to the day when everyone feels they are treated the same.
Feelings shouldn't enter into it, only reality. Perception is not necessarily reality.
Good luck with that. There will ALWAYS be people that have some means to be a victim....always.
Victimology is big business these days.

hmmm298

Crew Chief
Danica increased her opportunities not by succeeding on track but by posing semi-nude for men's magazines to boost her celebrity and turn that celebrity into a pitch to potential sponsors. How does that send a positive message of opportunity and equality to have one of the most popular racecar drivers put on a media pedestal for their ability to whore themselves out instead of for their talent behind the wheel?
hey I'll take my shirt off and let them photo my fat *** for a million $ lololol
:XXROFL:

Revman

TRD
Lots in your post. I think the positivity of the opportunity is open for debate based on your position. I think NASCAR was more concerned with opportunity. They promoted the Danica they wanted to promote and left that other stuff to her. "Whoring" oneself is open to debate. I hear your point,

sdj

Just a race fan
In the woods (as much as possible) RM LogoType (4)
and Bubba is a victim of 400 years of oppression.

Dead Horse.gif

MAGICMILER

Chariho
Contributor
And here I was thinking that people on the race track were drivers, not labels, judged and rewarded on their performance.
Some of these posters have proven me wrong.

cheesepuffs

Smokes, let's go
And here I was thinking that people on the race track were drivers, not labels, judged and rewarded on their performance.
Some of these posters have proven me wrong.
Are you new to the sport? Judged and rewarded based purely on performance hasn't been a thing for a long time now outside of a few leftover veterans from a simpler time.

cheesepuffs

Smokes, let's go
Do you guys honestly think Bubba isn't being leveraged by the sport for reasons other than performance behind the wheel? He's being turned into the new Danica Patrick, who was also leveraged by the sport for reasons other than on track performance. I'm not saying it's unexpected or anything, but he didn't get this Netflix series because of his championship caliber drives every week.

Before people jump all over me I really like Bubba and have since he was in a KBM truck, mostly because I love that he shows real emotion and honesty instead of being a corporate robot for the media like most drivers are. And I think that's going to play out very well during the series regardless of why the series was picked up.

MAGICMILER

Chariho
Contributor
Are you new to the sport? Judged and rewarded based purely on performance hasn't been a thing for a long time now outside of a few leftover veterans from a simpler time.
Labeling humans. Nice. I do miss the Simpler times.
45 year fan, btw...

Ford 222

Team Owner
Lately them victims seem to be everyone triggered by anything Bubba.
How’s that? I don’t see anyone “triggered”? That term seems to be the new way to “debate” those whose opinion differs from ours?

aunty dive

Team Owner
Contributor
How’s that? I don’t see anyone “triggered”? That term seems to be the new way to “debate” those whose opinion differs from ours?
Passive-aggressive ... just like in the other threads.

3 threads for this. We get it ... Wallace is guilty of RWB.

Top Bottom