New ARCA Lady; Wingtips helps out

H

HardScrabble

Kim Crosby on-track for first start at Atlanta, by Amanda Brahler TOLEDO OH (3-1-03) A short time ago Kim Crosby took to the track in Atlanta to run some laps in testing before heading to the 1.54-mile venue in early March to attempt the race. Crosby says everything went pretty well in the test and added assistance from veteran driver Dave Marcis gave her a boost in the effort.

"It went really well," Crosby said. "I was very pleased with the way the car ran, the way it handled. Dave Marcis was there. He took the car out to run a couple test laps with it. He was real pleased with it. I can't say enough. He has been there, asked questions, answered questions. His whole team, his son Bob has been helping us out also. He acted as my crew chief on that day and did a really good job."
Entering the event, the Louisiana Junior High School Principal says the veteran guidance and support has eased any pressure and calmed her nerves.

"Having Mr. Marcis there is support that many new racers don't have. They know their stuff; I am very confident in what they do. They're training my crew chief that I've hired, who is Richard Stevens. They're talking to him almost on a daily basis and helping him out with the setup on the car so that when they are not there we will be able to step in and do what we need to do. Marcis' help has taken so much pressure off of me."

With Marcis sitting atop her pit box during the race weekend Crosby is hoping for some added success in her first ARCA RE/MAX Series attempt. "Both Mr. Marcis, Bob and Curtis are going to be there race day to oversee and give me advice on my first one."

Regarding her race at Atlanta, plans as of now have Golden Flake Snack Foods on board for two other events, possibly Nashville and Charlotte. After that, Crosby is looking for further backing down the line. "Hopefully we'll make three and if we can secure some other sponsorship, ICCI of Mississippi came on board recently and they have helped me out so hopefully I will be able to make more then three."

Crosby says if the three races go well and more funding follows, she would like to see herself full-time in the ARCA RE/MAX ranks. "I would really be interested in full-time ARCA. That's my goal by the end of the season, to be able to run a full season for 2004."

The interesting thing about Crosby, she is a junior high school principal. Being so gives her added support as all of her students flock to question her about her driving career. "I have 1,004 instant fans here at my school site," Crosby says.

As far as parental concern of the woman who likes to speed around at 150 mile an hour on the weekends and during the week, teach their children, Crosby says they are just as interested. "I do have a lot of parents that are interested and question how to get into it."

The good news for Crosby, she has a proud town behind her and added support many racers only dream about. "Everyone wants to be on my pit crew. We have quite a fan base here in Slidell. As a matter of fact, they day of the race, a local restaurant, Buffalo Wildwings, is going to show the race on their big screen TV."

So how does a woman go from teaching teenagers to racing at top speeds? Crosby began her career racing NHRA and IHRA dragsters before making the move to stocks. A move she says was an obvious one from her first experience behind the wheel. "I was invited to a driving school and went there and did real well, I felt so comfortable in the cars. I decided stock cars are where I want to be."

After taking that journey at the Buck Baker Driving School, Crosby found herself faced with an opportunity of a lifetime, one that has secured her desire to race and given her the much needed on-track experience. "The second day that I was there Mr. Baker, Buck Baker, he was still alive at the time, walked over to me and told me that he really liked the way I drove, I was really smooth and he asked me what I did for a living. He said, 'well, I want you to come work for me.' He started asking me to come up and be an instructor at different schools and I started getting seat time from there."

And there you have it. From a junior high school to a racecar, Kim Crosby sure is finding great success as of late. With the support of a town and the guidance of a veteran, Crosby is well on her way to becoming a regular in the ARCA garage area.

alright! Anther female driver in NASCAR ! Yahoo ! Lookout guys!

ARCA is not NASCAR!!
ARCA is its own series!!

It is great to see Dave still involved in the sport!! Does he still test IROC cars??

I hope things go great for her, and Dave. I miss Dave a bunch, what a classy guy.

I think he does still test IROC cars, I know he was on hand for the Daytona practices and races this year.

Kel

Dave is still very involved with the IROC testing program.

Dave will at some point most likely field a WC entry this season. Hear tell he's looking for a driver.

The car that Kim has for the ARCA series was bought from Dave.

ARCA has now the possibility of fielding four lady drivers, Crosby, Renshaw, Passmore, and Robinson.

NASCAR's three national series has only one female at present, Tina Gordon in the trucks.

Back
Top Bottom