New Book

TexasRaceLady

Plank Owner
Contributor
Looks like interesting reading. Jade Gurss writes very well.

Bnhif9yCQAEwJc6.jpg

Was that the "turbine" engine?...I remember my Dad was all upset about the turbine cars.

to be fair though...if they didn't run some sort of spec engine these days - and let em just go wild like the old days - they would be running 260 down the straightaways and the drivers would be getting killed like early (pre-roll cage) sprint car drivers.

Last edited:
Was that the "turbine" engine?...I remember my Dad was all upset about the turbine cars.

No, that was the Andy Granatelli's turbine car at the 1967 Indy 500. A multi-million dollar car wrecked by a $6 transmission bearing or something.

"The Beast" was at the 1994 Indy 500, when Penske and Illmor realized that the USAC rules sanction the Indy 500 allowed for a massive pushrod engine with more turbo pressure than the OHC engines were allowed. They showed up at the speedway in May with a big ole engine that could get a reported 1000 hp. You always hear those stories about Al Unser Jr and Paul Tracy having to test the cars at midnight at Michigan (which Penske owned at the time) because it was so hush hush and top secret. My dad and some friends were at the 500 that year and said that the Penske cars that year sounded like P-51 Mustangs.

I have the book too on my Kindle but been so busy with work haven't been able to crack the (proverbial) cover yet. :confused:

to be fair though...if they didn't run some sort of spec engine these days - and let em just go wild like the old days - they would be running 260 down the straightaways and the drivers would be getting killed like early (pre-roll cage) sprint car drivers.
The video shows how severe racing was. The drivers were whipped around like rag dolls.

I remember the Granatelli turbine, it dominated the race and I was thrilled because I was a fan of anything new. Then the Penske push rod engines dominated the race and I didn't like that. One explored new technology and the other exploited the rules. (I sent the new sports car series a note suggesting they allow a non paying, no points, unlimited class to try new ideas).

The video shows how severe racing was. The drivers were whipped around like rag dolls.

I remember at the D.Q. Southern Illinois State Fairgrounds race - 1 mile dirt track with a boating track inside (water) - A.J. Foyt was splashed with alcohol (the best fuel at the time) and he caught on fire in the car. Nobody could tell he was on fire since the fire was clear..he jumped out and dove into the pond to keep from burning alive. After that they added "additives" to make the fuel burn a color....so you could tell if the driver (or anybody else) was on fire.

Last edited:
OK - well that was the "local legend"...but maybe the truth was more like:

A.J. suffered burns and broke his leg and ankle the day after the Indianapolis 500 in 1972 at a dirt car race at DuQuoin, Ill. His car caught fire during a pitstop, started rolling and Foyt jumped out of his moving car only to be run over by it.

It was a deal where nobody knew he was on fire though :cool:...guess he actually didn't get to the pond.;)

My dad and some friends were at the 500 that year and said that the Penske cars that year sounded like P-51 Mustangs.
I was there, too, during practice and on Pole Day. I don't remember them sounding different; The Captain was too smart to let them loose in front of everyone. But those "in the know" were saying that they were sandbagging, lifting on the front stretch etc., but everyone knew what was going on.

I wish the rules were like that now. Think of what Red Bull might try!

Give Danica one of those cars and she coudl WIN !!

or come in second, third or fourth.

I was there, too, during practice and on Pole Day. I don't remember them sounding different; The Captain was too smart to let them loose in front of everyone. But those "in the know" were saying that they were sandbagging, lifting on the front stretch etc., but everyone knew what was going on.

Speaking of Red Bull... I starting reading Beast. Jade starts with a recap of dominating Indy 500 performances that ended in mechanical failure. Mario in 1987 in mentioned and who is named in the book as a Newman/Haas engineer in 87? Adrian Newey! I didn't know he had any US experience. Makes sense he is from that era of IndyCar.

You can't deny the role Indy car racing has played in racing history. F1 fans **** on IndyCar when Adrian Newey got his start there. NASCAR fans **** on IndyCar while when asked... Jimmie Johnson and Kevin Harvick say that Rick Mears was their favorite race car driver.

I remember A.J. saying in an interview that the only reason Mario Andretti didn't win more Indy 500s was that nobody could build a fast car that would stand up to his driving style for the whole race. He said that Mario just didn't have the discipline to "cruise" for the 1st half of the race and usually just wore his stuff out before the end of the race.

Of course that was just A.J. saying sh!t...he wasn't exactly the model of keeping a cool head either ;).

I remember A.J. saying in an interview that the only reason Mario Andretti didn't win more Indy 500s was that nobody could build a fast car that would stand up to his driving style for the whole race. He said that Mario just didn't have the discipline to "cruise" for the 1st half of the race and usually just wore his stuff out before the end of the race.

Of course that was just A.J. saying sh!t...he wasn't exactly the model of keeping a cool head either ;).
I think it was '87 when Mario was dominating and had a big lead and backed off and the reduced revs actually caused an engine imbalance. Crazy bad luck for that family at Indy.

The book explains why they were sandbagging so much during the month. Aside from just generally hiding what the engine was capable of from the competition, there was a clause in the USAC rulebook that allowed USAC to change the pounds of turbo boost at any time, for any reason. Tony George already had a stick up his ass because the British specialty shops Cosworth and Ilmor and their "CART engines" were dominating the 500, and Penske was afraid that if the full potential of Mercedes 500I was known, that USAC would drop the pounds of boost just before qualifying or just before the race, which would effectively end their race before it started.

It had been done before Roger & Ilmor did it in 1994. Doe's anyone remember the Menard Buick V6, Penske just did the same thing except with an 8 cylinder block instead of 6 & they built it to last the entire race. That was the main problem with the Menard V6, it couldn't go 500 miles. Drivers always either wrecked or the engine expired, matter of fact as far as I can remember the only time the engine ran the full 500 miles was with Al Unser in 1992 & Luyendyk in 1995. It was a super powerful motor though as shown by King Racings qualifying performance in 1992 puitting the 36 on pole at 232+ mph & that was the slower of the two team cars. I remember word & rumor in the garage at Indy in 94 was that yes, the Penske's were sandbagging because they didn't want to show all they had until qualifying & the race. Only a few times during the month were they allowed to open the engine up, usually it was Emmo & he was easily turning 250+ mph str8 speeds, he ran like 700 or so practice laps during the month. On race day I figured Tracy would wreck & it'd be Emmo 1st, then Al if they're engines didn't quit, almost nailed it. Granatelli's turbine led that 1967 race for like 172 laps before a rearend cv joint I think they said it was broke with 3 laps left. Mario sat on the pole & led just as many laps in 1987 before his engine expired with only a handful of laps left. Irony is that Al Sr won that race, 5 years later Mario's son would destroy the field in a similar fashion only to have the same fate & then Al Jr win that race. I personally like the thought of allowing teams to develop their own engines & chassis the way it was before "The Split". I mean that really seperates the men from the boys, to me it was what Indy was all about...

Back
Top Bottom