New IndyLights Chassis

KevinWI

Oldest Operating Motor Speedway In The World
http://www.racer.com/indycar/indy-l...ghts-new-chassis-being-readied-for-first-test

phpThumb.php

IndyLights and Dallara have unveiled the new chassis for 2015. It will be powered by an AER 4-cylinder turbo engine.

Per the article, the chassis for IndyLights hasn't changed since 2002 when the IRL took over IndyLights from CART management. The old chassis was very cheap (being 12 years old), but the article says that the antiquated technology has turned some potential teams away from competing in the series.

The prices are $235k for the chassis, plus $88k for an annual engine lease. Seems kind of steep to me. The chassis costs 1/3rd of the IndyCar Dallara chassis ($750k) for a series that has 0.0005% of the exposure of IndyCar. This ain't NASCAR Nationwide. But, it's a good looking car, probably should be a new chassis by now and the people in charge seem convinced it'll attract more series and fans so, good luck.

It also says that two IndyCar teams are in talks to join IndyLights next year. That would be neat. Offhand, I think Andretti and Sam Schmidt are the only two IndyCar teams that operate Lights teams. This series needs a complete feeder system from go-karts and sprints to IndyCar or they're going to lose even more good young American drivers to NASCAR.

Much better-looking than the current, ugly Lights car. Probably a helluva lot safer too. The Chase Austin incident earlier this year was scary.

Hopefully the new technology and the three-race IndyCar deal for Lights champions will bring car counts to more than ten...

What do you guys think about IndyCar trying to get a lights class into the Tudor IMSA races? With fields as small as they've been I think it'd be worth a shot. Better than watching eight cars at Iowa Speedway.

What do you guys think about IndyCar trying to get a lights class into the Tudor IMSA races? With fields as small as they've been I think it'd be worth a shot. Better than watching eight cars at Iowa Speedway.
I think it would be a good idea as a supporting race. But an open wheel class running with full bodied cars would be a bad idea.

Back
Top Bottom