New Inspection Process Coming

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
NASCAR pre-race tech – New inspection technology
It’s never a good thing when the race winner is found to have an illegal part. Days after the race, the word ‘encumbered’ is blasted on our social feeds. But, what if NASCAR could catch that before the race?

That’s ideal and that’s the goal. NASCAR has some ideas. Meetings with the industry are in place to change the pre-race inspection process.

“We’re gunna have a new inspection technology that can really change how we inspect the cars [potentially] pre-race,” Steve O’Donnell told Sirius XM NASCAR Radio.

https://racingnews.co/2017/09/11/nascar-inspection-process/

Nate Ryan, NBC Sports:

NASCAR demonstrated a new inspection process to news media at its R&D Center this week that is intended to increase efficiency and potentially provide teams with more areas to work on the car.

The new system, which will be tested on non-playoff cars starting at Chicagoland Speedway through the final 10 races of the season, will use eight projectors and 17 cameras to scan cars, measuring anywhere from 200,000 to 700,000 points on a car with 3-D mapping to ensure a car conforms to specifications.

It’s intended to reduce the number of prerace inspection stations from five to three and reduce in half the amount of time required to pass through them (roughly more than 6 minutes when including a 90-second scan).

The system ideally could eliminate the need for prerace template grids and laser inspection stations, rendering the postrace measuring of bodies obsolete (though suspension elements similar to those that drew penalties this week still would be scrutinized).

If they just made the penalty strong enough they wouldn't have to do this. Just DQ the first violator like they do in every other form of motorsports and the teams would stop screwing around.

This is racing...they'll NEVER stop screwing around no matter how high the penalty is. Some guy at the local level around here opened up his sealed motor at the 4-cylinder level of competition (ie, $100 or so to win, $35 to start) and is now parked for the year. They NEVER quit trying to find an advantage.

This is racing...they'll NEVER stop screwing around no matter how high the penalty is. Some guy at the local level around here opened up his sealed motor at the 4-cylinder level of competition (ie, $100 or so to win, $35 to start) and is now parked for the year. They NEVER quit trying to find an advantage.
When your paying $35 to win $100 in a field of 16-20 cars and you have to cheat, your not really bringing a car to race anyway. Suspended for the year or so many races seems reasonable.

If they just made the penalty strong enough they wouldn't have to do this. Just DQ the first violator like they do in every other form of motorsports and the teams would stop screwing around.
I like that, fail inspection, load up and go home. Now the final tune up after practice is a different matter.

I always thought the idea of inspection was to find those things. They obviously aren't doing that, for some reason.

I always thought the idea of inspection was to find those things. They obviously aren't doing that, for some reason.

On a related note, it will be interesting to see if the stronger penalty for the swiveling rear ends stops it from happening like O'Donnell thinks it will. It has been going on for years. I doubt it.

If they fail inspection, let them know how they failed. If they fail a second time, send them home for the weekend.

Exactly.

There will always be cheaters that will try no matter what the process is.

NASCAR should just take away the win entirely when a team gets caught.

Letting these drivers keep wins after being found out with an illegal car is saying "well you cheated, your win in nullified and won't count but we'll let you keep it anyway."

Huge blemish. I would rather not have to deal with that then carrying around a win that I really didn't earned right.

Exactly.

There will always be cheaters that will try no matter what the process is.

NASCAR should just take away the win entirely when a team gets caught.

Letting these drivers keep wins after being found out with an illegal car is saying "well you cheated, your win in nullified and won't count but we'll let you keep it anyway."

Huge blemish. I would rather not have to deal with that then carrying around a win that I really didn't earned right.

Waiting till Tuesday to see who really won would get a bit tedious though ....... prolly piss off some more fans

Waiting till Tuesday to see who really won would get a bit tedious though ....... prolly piss off some more fans

Hence why they should DQ them right when they fail post inspection.

Right

And I agree with the a few of the talking heads on this subject, I dont recall word for word, but, NASCAR needs to figure this out and the winners car needs to be deemed either legal or illegal while still at the track post race.

And I agree that it's time NASCAR takes wins away , that is the only way you are gonna get the teams attention.

Hence why they should DQ them right when they fail post inspection.
Bingo, winning car goes through post race inspection at the track, if its deem illegal, boom, win taken away, all before anyone has had their morning coffee.

Right

And I agree with the a few of the talking heads on this subject, I dont recall word for word, but, NASCAR needs to figure this out and the winners car needs to be deemed either legal or illegal while still at the track post race.

And I agree that it's time NASCAR takes wins away , that is the only way you are gonna get the teams attention.

Do the inspecting pre race .......... if it races its legal. That may be difficult to actually do though

Do the inspecting pre race .......... if it races its legal. That may be difficult to actually do though

You meaning like literally pre race inspection as before the cars roll out onto pit road?

If the car won't pass the first inspection send it home. Next week it will pass. Then test all cars right after qualifying, if the car don't pass it doesn't race.
That will cut the crap. Why? because the sponsor will walk away from a team that doesn't make the races and you can be sure it will be in all contracts paying 15 million or more.

If the car won't pass the first inspection send it home. Next week it will pass. Then test all cars right after qualifying, if the car don't pass it doesn't race.
That will cut the crap. Why? because the sponsor will walk away from a team that doesn't make the races and you can be sure it will be in all contracts paying 15 million or more.

Both the encumbered wins were discovered during a tear down inspection .......... As far as I know. Pre race isn't cutting it

Yup, it's NASCAR's fault that they can't keep Pious Joe Gibbs from cheating... :rolleyes:

The fans will walk away, too.

That was one of the reason for the charters, to make sure the top teams are always in the race, so that would go against that.

No one needs to be sent home, just start taking wins and everything that goes with it away, that will get their attention real fast. The other thing they could do, which would be just like they did send them home would be not scoring them for the weekend, which would mean the would get no purse money, it would be like they were not there, but, the sponsors still get what they paid for.

The inspection process itself is obviously flawed so bring on changes.

Back
Top Bottom