New Jersey F1

Ouch, and I thought $250 for Montreal GP years ago was expensive. The Circuit of Americas in Austin is expensive too apparently.

And yes, the ticket pricing and attendance is why you see track location changes every few years in the F1 circuit, I think the Korea track is also in jeopardy.

I know right? I have words to describe some of those posters but won't say it here. :p

I would've thought F1 would've waited to award the US a second date and seen how we support Austin after a couple years. I'm also not happy about Valencia being chopped in favor of the New Jersey race. They taking tips from Briton Smith???:confused::D

I would've thought F1 would've waited to award the US a second date and seen how we support Austin after a couple years. I'm also not happy about Valencia being chopped in favor of the New Jersey race. They taking tips from Briton Smith???:confused::D
As long as Bernie gets paid, he doesn't care who shows up to the race. Obviously, the check from the NY/NJ promoters cleared, so he doesn't care if America shows up to support an F1 race or not.

They're all dumb, Formula 1 should go to the Strip in Las Vegas, just call it the MGM Grand Prix Of Las Vegas, it'd be huge...

They're all dumb, Formula 1 should go to the Strip in Las Vegas, just call it the MGM Grand Prix Of Las Vegas, it'd be huge...

IndyCar and F1 have been trying to do that for 40 years. You can't get the city to close the Strip. They've tried various variations of the idea, including a race in the Caesars Palace parking lot and the Champ Car race in Downtown Vegas (near Fremont Street with the big canopy light show).

At risk of hijacking the thread (and, with apologies to the OP), might as well resurrect the pipe dream of a Formula 1 race at Road America.

I know that Elkhart Lake and the Kettle Moraine area is considered too 'rustic' for Bernie's Circus, but after seeing what has been done in Austin, it doesn't seem so far fetched. Yes the track would need some improvements, but not from-the-ground-up construction. Other funding could be used to upgrade local infrastructure and lodging, which would benefit the area year 'round. Wisconsin spends a lot of money promoting tourism already, and an F1 race would open America's Dairyland to a worldwide audience, making it worth the investment. RA has a beloved reputation among the North American racing royalty, which would mean a lot in terms of support behind the effort.

Considering how F1 economy seems to work, the only point in having a street course race in NY would be for a few politicians and other well connected participants to 'wet their beaks' at the expense of many who would have nothing to do with the event (pardon my cynicism :).

At risk of hijacking the thread (and, with apologies to the OP), might as well resurrect the pipe dream of a Formula 1 race at Road America.

I know that Elkhart Lake and the Kettle Moraine area is considered too 'rustic' for Bernie's Circus, but after seeing what has been done in Austin, it doesn't seem so far fetched. Yes the track would need some improvements, but not from-the-ground-up construction. Other funding could be used to upgrade local infrastructure and lodging, which would benefit the area year 'round. Wisconsin spends a lot of money promoting tourism already, and an F1 race would open America's Dairyland to a worldwide audience, making it worth the investment. RA has a beloved reputation among the North American racing royalty, which would mean a lot in terms of support behind the effort.

Considering how F1 economy seems to work, the only point in having a street course race in NY would be for a few politicians and other well connected participants to 'wet their beaks' at the expense of many who would have nothing to do with the event (pardon my cynicism :).
Yes, for the love of god, yes. This has been a long term fantasy / wet dream of mine for years. Road America is the best road course in North America, bar none. Yes, I'm biased. But, like you said, RA is already hallowed ground among American road racing. There are plenty of race car drivers who agree with me.

I'm sure Bernie would consider it too far away from any major city, but I think it would work. They raced at Watkins Glen for 20 something years, and RA is closer to Chicago than Watkins Glen is to any major city. Besides, nearby you have Herb Kohler's world-class golf course (and resort) at Whistling Straights, which already has hosted the PGA Championship multiple times. So the area could support a ritzy world-class event, in my opinion.

There's been a number of US tracks in F1 since the 70's, Phoenix, Long Beach and Detroit were ones to remember (I lived in Windsor at one point when they had races in Detroit which was right along the riverbank viewing Windsor in which you could hear the roaring racing cars standing along the river of Windsor). AFAIK Detroit was the only one that lasted longer than 3 years, Australia is the only other location in the F1 circuit to change locations frequently (Adelaide, Melborne, Brisbane).

Depending on how large the attendance is regardless of how expensive it is (this is New York we're talking about here, forget abouuuuut it), it'll probably stay in the schedule for a few years.

IndyCar and F1 have been trying to do that for 40 years. You can't get the city to close the Strip. They've tried various variations of the idea, including a race in the Caesars Palace parking lot and the Champ Car race in Downtown Vegas (near Fremont Street with the big canopy light show).
I used to go to Vegas annually and I know the city well now, that downtown area would have been awesome for a race and would generate a TON of money for Vegas holels.

Back
Top Bottom