New member, with a learning curve :)

R

RebeccaM

Hello all! I did a google search and found you! And then I joined for a specific reason... lol

I am taking my family to the Brickyard 400 Friday practice and have no idea what to expect. It is our first time ever to any NASCAR event. I have a younger son (age 7) that we are slowly weaning in to going to races (I don't want to spend a large amount of money for him to not fully enjoy it, making it miserable for his parents as well) and figured this Friday practice would be a good first time event.

But I have no idea how any of it works lol I know my ticket says seating is first come first serve, so I am assuming we can sit anywhere? Also I've never been to the Indy track other than to visit the museum... So other than that, the grounds are a mystery to me! I'm from out of state, visiting up north next week, and not a lot of my family and friends are racing fanatics like we are (I know, I should disown the lot of them lol)

So, give me you best tricks, tips, and pointers... where to sit, watch, walk, eat, best bathroom? lol

Nice to "meet" you all and I look forward to your help! :D

I have been to IMS many, many times for open wheel, Nascar, training and trade shows and the place speaks loudly even when no one is around. For practice I would park in the infield instead of someone's front lawn or other outside parking. You will have your pick of seats as there are so many and practice doesn't usually generate a huge crowd. Where you sit is really a personal choice but I liked to start out near the Pagoda and then migrate down to one of the turns. Unfortunately IMS is such a big track the best you can really hope for is to see cars exiting one turn and then going down the straightaway before entering another. I think you will really enjoy yourself.

Welcome!

I'm with Skoal; sitting in one of the corners offers the best view as they approach on one straightaway and exit down the other. If you park in the infield, be sure to visit the track museum. There's very little related to NASCAR, but the evolution of open-wheeled race cars is amazing. They have at least one car from most of the years the track has been open, and it's fascinating to see how they changed.

If you don't want a miserable kid, spend $2 for some earplugs and bring sunscreen.

But my best recommendation for enjoying racing that week is to spend the 20th and 21st over at Lucas Oil Raceway, the paved 6/10th short track about 8 miles west of IMS, and watch some short track racing up close and personal.

http://lucasoilraceway.com/

Regardless, have a good time!

Thank you!!! I appreciate all the good advice!

We are wanting to hit up the Main Street hauler parade, so I was looking at parking at the Main Lot across from the track, to kind of "be in the center" of activities. Would it be better to park infield and then drive over to Main Street for the other activities?

Kiddo has a great set of ear protectors... we are out at our local dirt track on Saturdays lol And yes on sunscreen... lol

I would love to spend all weekend out there, but the trip itself is for a family visit (I live in Arkansas, family is up northern Indiana)... but my boy doesn't know anything about going to see the cars. He's been to the Speedway before - I took him last year and he kissed the bricks. He thinks that is what we are doing again this year. I've just never been on a race day, as long as I lived up there...

I'll have to stick around for sure... I appreciate all the help so far! Plus with the boy being such a fan himself, there will be that time we hit a race and I'm sure I'll need help then too :D

Welcome!

You should have fun at Indy but please don't judge attending races on that track. As mentioned above, view is very limited. Most of the other ovals you can see the whole thing in most seats. Indy you can't. But seeing the cars, feeling the noise, and experiencing the speed as they motor by should give you all a rush.

I've been to Indy one time, Nascars first race there, and I swore I'd never go back. Reason is I was spoiled by all the other tracks, especially the short ones. So please try another track if your experience isn't what you hoped. Short tracks are the best IMO. Have fun!

I know Indy has typically been one of the lower attendance events... so that's not an important factor for future races... it just happened to align with my trip up north and my boy is ready to start hitting the bigger races versus our dirt tracks. I've got Kansas and Texas as the 2 that are within decent driving distance... but the 2 I want to go to one day are Dega and Martinsville.

I know Indy has typically been one of the lower attendance events... so that's not an important factor for future races... it just happened to align with my trip up north and my boy is ready to start hitting the bigger races versus our dirt tracks. I've got Kansas and Texas as the 2 that are within decent driving distance... but the 2 I want to go to one day are Dega and Martinsville.
Good choices.

Judging by the profile picture, we've got another Mark Martin fan here.

I live in Arkansas, he is the "hometown boy"

My boy likes Kyle Busch (it was the m&m's that caught his eye) and Chase Elliott.

Since Tony Stewart retired, I have yet to really come up with that "one"... I do watch Elliott as well just out of curiosity since he has some big shoes to fill, not just from dad but with the 24.

I live in Arkansas, he is the "hometown boy"

My boy likes Kyle Busch (it was the m&m's that caught his eye) and Chase Elliott.

Since Tony Stewart retired, I have yet to really come up with that "one"... I do watch Elliott as well just out of curiosity since he has some big shoes to fill, not just from dad but with the 24.
LOL......... on the hometown boy........

check my screen name...... even though it says ''ky''...... (for Kentucky)...... I grew up in Arkansas... and still have martin6 after it....... always will........

We arrived safely from Arkansas to northern Indiana yesterday. Not to horrid of a drive, just long... The boy still knows nothing of the surprise visit to the track Friday, even when I purchased new hearing protection because I forgot his at home. :p

Thank you all for the helpful advice!!! We had a blast... we sat across from the pagoda for first practice and then went down to the garage area for second. I had one happy (but tired and hot) boy! Can't wait to be able to get him to a full weekend now!
20170721_130001.jpg

Welcome!

I'm with Skoal; sitting in one of the corners offers the best view as they approach on one straightaway and exit down the other. If you park in the infield, be sure to visit the track museum. There's very little related to NASCAR, but the evolution of open-wheeled race cars is amazing. They have at least one car from most of the years the track has been open, and it's fascinating to see how they changed.

If you don't want a miserable kid, spend $2 for some earplugs and bring sunscreen.

But my best recommendation for enjoying racing that week is to spend the 20th and 21st over at Lucas Oil Raceway, the paved 6/10th short track about 8 miles west of IMS, and watch some short track racing up close and personal.

http://lucasoilraceway.com/

Regardless, have a good time!

That Arca race was awesome last night

Back
Top Bottom