New Qualifying Procedure at Sonoma in 2003?

A

Awesome_Bill

NASCAR officials are close to approving the European qualifying system for next summer's race at Sonoma (Infineno Raceway). That's when the track is opened to all drivers for a 30-minute period, with each man's fastest lap in that period determining his qualifying spot.(Winston Salem Journal). Well, that sounds boring.(8-10-2002)

Didn't they do that for a CTS race at Portland a while back?

I don't really care for it. I like the traditional style.

I think it would be great. have you ever watched an f-1 qualifing round. some hang back in the pits until the last minute and then go for the fast lap. they only hope that a slow running car won't be in their way. doing it for a 30 minute period wouldn't work though. they need to do it over 2 days with longer periods. and the fastest wins the pole.

Originally posted by racer8
I think it would be great. have you ever watched an f-1 qualifing round. some hang back in the pits until the last minute and then go for the fast lap. they only hope that a slow running car won't be in their way. doing it for a 30 minute period wouldn't work though. they need to do it over 2 days with longer periods. and the fastest wins the pole.

sounds like you might be lookin for a couplea races insteada one:p why not:p

Thats what it would be. a couple of races. the big difference is the F-1 races are pretty well done on the first lap or first pit stop.

That would be cool but 30 minutes isn't that long for 43 cars. They should make it an hour session like in CART.

they did European qualifying for the last two Busch races at the Glen- both the drivers and fans loved it......

An enticing idea...I think I like it!

Almost wish they'd do it all the time.

Would not like to see it personally.

Too many cars for one thing.

Another is if ya do it that way it takes some pressure that I consider part of qualifying off the teams. If they miss the setup they come in adjust and try again. If the drivers misses a mark or a shift or whatever, he tries again. To me qualifying is and should be give it your best shot, you got one roll of the dice.

I like to watch qualifying. If you use this system and have a one hour session for example. Depending on track conditions half of that time is spent watching the grass grow as the teams wait for the track to cool off or whatever.

I think it said 1/2 hour session you don't have time too wait
in fact you'd only have maybe 2 chances on the track

A half hour session would probably get everyone out at once for sure!

Would probably make for a lot of cars starting at the back of the field as they drag out the back-up cars for the race too.:D

Back
Top Bottom