New Race Announcers?

DIDIT

Old School Fan
So, I was reading the ISC earnings comments and they talked about how NASCAR is showing an increase in the younger demographic range and that got me thinking about the race announcers. A quick Google search showed most male announcers, other than guest drivers, are over fifty years of age.

My question, does NASCAR and the networks need to bring in some younger talent for the race broadcast? I am not talking about pit road reporters, but in the booth broadcasters. I have no idea who, but it seems to me to connect with the younger demographic you need someone they can connect to. While I may not be excited about it, since I am an old fart, it might be good for the sport.

So, I was reading the ISC earnings comments and they talked about how NASCAR is showing an increase in the younger demographic range and that got me thinking about the race announcers. A quick Google search showed most male announcers, other than guest drivers, are over fifty years of age.

My question, does NASCAR and the networks need to bring in some younger talent for the race broadcast? I am not talking about pit road reporters, but in the booth broadcasters. I have no idea who, but it seems to me to connect with the younger demographic you need someone they can connect to. While I may not be excited about it, since I am an old fart, it might be good for the sport.
Long term it wouldn't hurt, they are already doing it in xfinity.

Who is available tho besides Tony Romo?

Long term it wouldn't hurt, they are already doing it in xfinity.

Who is available tho besides Tony Romo?
Paging Riki Rachtman...

No really, he's a big NASCAR fan and has done a NASCAR/racing themed radio show for years.

I never really understand the frustration over announcers. I look for a few things from announcers, the first being their voice. Do they have a decent enough voice that I am not annoyed by the simple sound. Second, their credibility, I know some people like Wally Dalenbach, but I never quite understood how we could take him serious when he was trying o tell a winning race team how to win when he himself was a back marker for years. Third, are they entertaining? I feel like we get that with the announcers currently in place. I also like the drivers being used in the booth during Xfinity races. I think Mike Joy has a good voice and his credibility is there due to the massive amount of time he has spent covering the sport. DW is entertainment. He says outlandish things, he is kind of like that out of control uncle at family get togethers that everyone watches closely. Gordon brings the credibility and actually cleans up the broadcast. He looks young, fresh and lively. The three together work for me. I also like the NBC guys as well. I laugh at NASCAR fans, we have the tendency to be like women, we all want the same things for the same reason (to make the sport better), but we will drag down anyone, anything and any idea that we are not 100% behind.

Imagine Gus Johnson as a NASCAR announcer. He was an extremely strong cult following and the younger generation would watch races just to hear him.

*Edit* Here's a vid of him in case some of you are unfamiliar with him. He's most famous for calling March madness and big NCAA Football games. He is currently calling games in the NBA for the Milwaukee Bucks.

Imagine Gus Johnson as a NASCAR announcer. He was an extremely strong cult following and the younger generation would watch races just to hear him.

*Edit* Here's a vid of him in case some of you are unfamiliar with him. He's most famous for calling March madness and big NCAA Football games. He is currently calling games in the NBA for the Milwaukee Bucks.

He's famous in my household for this call:

I like the Fox commentators, but I would like to see some "young blood" in the booth at the same time.

I'd love to see NBC go with Dave Burns, Carl Edwards and Steve Letarte as their trio. That'd get my vote.

I'd just like too see Ricky Craven get in the fox booth, but he is fantastic in his current role.

Gotta get somebody with a heavy Aussie accent ........ like infomercial dudes

housewives will just go bonkers and watch every race !!! the kids can watch the MMA ass beatings in their room

Too many commentators, too much talking, not enough quality audio of the cars.

Is it just me or has car audio quality gone down over the years? There's always some whistling sound and half the time the audio doesn't come from the car(s) the camera is showing.

We already have Nascar's version of Gus Johnson. His name is Rick Allen.

I don't think the age of the commentators is even the slightest bit relevant. Marv Albert might be the most popular NBA announcer and he's probably close to 80. No kids will start watching Nascar because they feel more connected to a young guy calling the race. However, I'm sure casual fans are turned off when they tune in only to hear DW yelling BOOGITY like a drunk hilljack and constantly flapping his gums every chance he gets

Is it just me or has car audio quality gone down over the years? There's always some whistling sound and half the time the audio doesn't come from the car(s) the camera is showing.

I've noticed that too. I'm not sure if it's only during the FOX broadcasts, but that whistling sound you're talking about rarely ever stops

I've noticed that too. I'm not sure if it's only during the FOX broadcasts, but that whistling sound you're talking about rarely ever stops
It stops when the cars slow down.

It's air molecules being moved out of the way / flowing over the cars. Light aircraft traveling at similar speeds make the same sound.

I don't think the age of the commentators is even the slightest bit relevant. Marv Albert might be the most popular NBA announcer and he's probably close to 80. No kids will start watching Nascar because they feel more connected to a young guy calling the race. However, I'm sure casual fans are turned off when they tune in only to hear DW yelling BOOGITY like a drunk hilljack and constantly flapping his gums every chance he gets

That is why I asked the question. I grew up listening to Howard Cosell, Pat Summerall and Chris Economaki and never gave thought about their age. But that was a different time and we viewed elders different than the current generation. It just seems to me that a younger connection these days might be good.

It stops when the cars slow down.

It's air molecules being moved out of the way / flowing over the cars. Light aircraft traveling at similar speeds make the same sound.
Its the fox mics in the broadcast booth picking up the air as the cars go by.

Gotta get somebody with a heavy Aussie accent ........ like infomercial dudes

housewives will just go bonkers and watch every race !!! the kids can watch the MMA ass beatings in their room

Ha, ha, I couldn't figure out for the longest time why all of a sudden my wife wanted to watch the ABC World News every evening until someone pointed out the obvious.

That's not his point. His point is that Gus Johnson's presence would draw viewers because of the cult following he has. I know people who would watch figure skating if Gus Johnson was on the call.

paul menard would be great,
he is full of stfu talent.

Mike Joy isn't bad. The Waltrips need to go for the past 5 years.

DW is entertainment. He says outlandish things, he is kind of like that out of control uncle at family get togethers that everyone watches closely. Gordon brings the credibility and actually cleans up the broadcast. He looks young, fresh and lively.
There is the problem, Jeff shouldn't have to be cleaning up after DW. Do the young people born after DW was somebody have to listen to him? Do they even want to?
The same goes with his brother, get him off TV, does anyone find his clown act funny? If you do quit smoking that crap. For myself, the booth is part of the racing but these days I couldn't care less. Jeff is good but he can't make up DW's clown act.

Back
Top Bottom