New track drying system ready for Daytona (if necessary)

F1 makes me laugh. The "biggest sport" on earth has guys with brooms and the such to clean up the debris on the track. And they run in the rain.

NASCAR is sooooooooooo much smarter. And Im not being a fool here either.

Brooms? Broken carbon fiber? Really?

If you pulled a jet truck out and blew that off, then the fans would be amazed.

I have to say that F1 races bore me......yes they are fast... no question... yes they handle... no question....yes the engineering and tech is first class... and also the pit chicks are hot.... but the racing........just lacks.

There is more lead changes at Daytona than a entire F1 season (note... unverified fact however that's how it seems).

I just can not get enough of Nascar and the banging and bumping and just how messy cars can loof after a race

So it's basically a propane truck filled with air from an air compressor probably driven by a V8 to reach 400psi, then allowed out through small orifices to blow the track dry like the exit of a vortex car wash, and the water is then sucked up.

I gotta see this contraption.

If it works half as well as Del Worsham's margarita mixer, I'll be slightly impressed.

Some drivers used to complain that the use of jet fuel made the track greasy.

Every track should have a dome over it. :)

The last time it rained while I was at MIS I was looking around trying to imagine the logistical and engineering challenges of doming the facility. After about a minute I nearly had a stroke. Even Bristol, Martinsville and Richmond would be way too big to dome.

I just can not get enough of Nascar and the banging and bumping and just how messy cars can loof after a race

I watched a little German touring series, and they have more banging and bumping than nascar does. I hope nascar gets back to that.

So it's basically a propane truck filled with air from an air compressor probably driven by a V8 to reach 400psi, then allowed out through small orifices to blow the track dry like the exit of a vortex car wash, and the water is then sucked up.

I gotta see this contraption.

Sounds great until they start blowing off layers of asphalt and obliterating track lines.

If it works half as well as Del Worsham's margarita mixer, I'll be slightly impressed.

It has had a few malfunctions also. It kicked the rods out at a party in Southern Ca a few years ago and set it's self on fire. But now it's got a new engine in it and it is in Michigan for a party at Kalitta Motorsports. Here is a video of the fire.

Jimmie Buffett has been using a big ass outboard motor to make free margaritas on stage for over 30 years.

I will bet that Jimmie Buffett can run his a lot cheaper too.;)
"FINS TO THE LEFT! FINS TO THE RIGHT!" For several years I has a personalized plate "PIRAT40"

There is more lead changes at Daytona than a entire F1 season (note... unverified fact however that's how it seems).
I try to watch F1 a couple of times each season. I just can't figure out who I'm looking at. You can't see the numbers on the cars, and the scoring ticker doesn't reference them anyway. It's like the sanctioning body expects you to have memorized each driver's sponsor / car colors in advance. Even then you can't tell which team car is which. Combine my inability to identify who's who with the relatively fewer position changes, and it quickly transitions to nap time.

I have always questioned the wisdom of having the field pass the jet blowers on the inside while they are blowing debris from the outside wall towards the infield. That makes no sense to me. The cars are forced to run thru all of the sh!t that is being blown off the track.

As for the post jet-dryer slickness, the kerosene used in the jet engines does have an oily quality to it - which is expelled as exhaust. It's that oily exhaust that evaporates the water and leaves an oily film.

Has anyone ever parked outdoors at an airport? The oily resudue that coats your car is the same residue that ends up on the racing surface.

I'm listening to Brian France right now on SiriusXM NASCAR radio. He just said that a track like Martinsville can be dried in 15 minutes with this new system. :eek: I have to say though, I'm not quite sure if that new track drying device includes the aid of the hot air that Brian seems to be spewing right now. If so, 15 minutes sounds about 10 minutes too long.

I'm listening to Brian France right now on SiriusXM NASCAR radio. He just said that a track like Martinsville can be dried in 15 minutes with this new system. :eek: I have to say though, I'm not quite sure if that new track drying device includes the aid of the hot air that Brian seems to be spewing right now. If so, 15 minutes sounds about 10 minutes too long.
Im wondering if the new FOX contract came with a "must have" clause for a quicker solution to drying the track.

When this was announced I bet Allan Bestwick about crapped his pants.

Maybe they should have the race on Monday night. Remember how the night sky was lit by the jet fuel. Aaaaaah the memories.

NASCAR will have 24 new track dryers at Daytona. Won't hit 30-min drying goal in Feb but getting there.

24? Are you kidding me? 30 minutes? Absolutely freaking awesome!

Another story on the new track drying efforts can be read here.

Back
Top Bottom