Newman and how he races?

hidesert cowboy

Team Owner
I think it might be said that Newman may have cost Matt D the race last night. When the leader has to crash into you to get by with a handful of laps to go to get by, how much driver etiquette is that? Matt D, lost half his lead getting by him, which was about 8 10/ths of a second. No one else raced Matt or denny that way in the closing laps. Kurt busch got totally out of the way as did jimmy. Kurt was racing to stay on the lead lap as well. My question is why aren't drivers just sick of this? Newman has long been known as the most difficult guy to pass and this is pretty clear watching all the races. It seems like no one races him back that way. Are they afraid Newman is going to beat them up? I personally would not take it if I was a driver being raced that way.

I have the same questions, and his BS is so old that it's embarrassing.

Newman has long been known as the most difficult guy to pass and this is pretty clear watching all the races. It seems like no one races him back that way.
Sounds like something the drivers can settle between themselves on the track. As you noted, he's always driven that way and spreads it around equally, and all the other drivers know it.

As to why the other drivers put up with it, it could be asked why the other drivers don't drive that way too.

Newman has always raced in a consistent manner, plus every point matters for him. I was cheering for MattD but Newman was fighting to stay on the lead lap, any driver would do that. Newman tries the get the most out of his car just like every driver who is competing for a playoff spot on points.

Denny Hamlin got by Newman just fine it seems.
a number of things could be speculated. Newman was already a lap down when Hamlin passed him. Hamlin wasn't a threat to him making the playoff cut off like Win and your in Matt was. The thing I didn't like was that it wasn't pretty and obvious as hell. There are other ways to run hard without collisions. I haven't seen Newman race this hard since they called him Rocket Man. I've always considered him a wheel holder until this year. Don't know why but he is working hard at it this year.

a number of things could be speculated. Newman was already a lap down when Hamlin passed him. Hamlin wasn't a threat to him making the playoff cut off like Win and your in Matt was. The thing I didn't like was that it wasn't pretty and obvious as hell. There are other ways to run hard without collisions. I haven't seen Newman race this hard since they called him Rocket Man. I've always considered him a wheel holder until this year. Don't know why but he is working hard at it this year.

True, Newman is a lap down at that moment. I really don’t think Ryan decided to back off just cause the leader is ahead of him. That goes against so much of this narrative out there that “Newman is consistently hard to pass”... he seems to treat every car the same best I can tell.

But this is where I have to admit I’ve never been in a cup car door to door with him to really know.

I just think it’s weak to blame a guy for racing too hard. This driver has had this reputation for so many years now... what’s new? He races burrito too hard and the internet cannot handle it?

True, Newman is a lap down at that moment. I really don’t think Ryan decided to back off just cause the leader is ahead of him. That goes against so much of this narrative out there that “Newman is consistently hard to pass”... he seems to treat every car the same best I can tell.

But this is where I have to admit I’ve never been in a cup car door to door with him to really know.

I just think it’s weak to blame a guy for racing too hard. This driver has had this reputation for so many years now... what’s new? He races burrito too hard and the internet cannot handle it?
The booth made a big deal out of Kurt and Jimmie letting Hamlin go. Neither had anything to gain by racing hard like Newman did, Newman's season was threatened if Matt won. The other two, Kurt is in, Jimmie was multiple laps down. I would say the booth was showing a bit of bias as to what happened to Matt. Newman had it coming IMO reasons aside.

IMO I’m fine with Newman being a hard nosed racer while racing for position during a relevant point in the race.

Fighting the leader to not go a lap down with 30 to go? His race was over and he was not keeping himself alive for a win. If he wanted to save as many points as possible, he had the whole race to do so.

Stubborn move and the reason he hasn't been put on his ass for moves like that is because he’s keeping fairy tale characters out of his swamp.

IMO I’m fine with Newman being a hard nosed racer while racing for position during a relevant point in the race.

Fighting the leader to not go a lap down with 30 to go? His race was over and he was not keeping himself alive for a win. If he wanted to save as many points as possible, he had the whole race to do so.

Stubborn move and the reason he hasn't been put on his ass for moves like that is because he’s keeping fairy tale characters out of his swamp.
Inside the Top 10 late in the race still presents a lot of possibilities. If a yellow comes out late and he's the last guy on the lead lap of about 10 or so then he can afford to pit and see what happens on fresh tires. Even if there was not a particularly high amount of wear last night, he's starting in the fourth or fifth row with fresher stuff than everyone ahead of him.

And as others have mentioned already DiBenedetto was a potential bid stealer and would've made the playoff bubble a lot smaller with a win. Newman had plenty of reason to fight hard last night.

Experience.

Next time, Mr. DiB will give some thought to nudging Newman and driving by.
yep a good what if. If he would have set Newman up like Denny did to him and all that. I still think he would have came in second, Hamlin had everything in his favor, fresher tires and a faster car turning faster laps before the damage to the 95.

Newman is just hard to deal with when he has any reason to race hard. Especially as the leader when you're trying to avoid putting any damage on your car. He is at least consistently hard to deal with everyone. He pulled up in front of Hamlin too, from what I saw.

I see nothing wrong with a guy racing this way during the middle of the race, I see nothing wrong with racing this way when running for position in the top 10 in the closing laps. making a guy loose 8/10's and half their lead when they are running for their career, their first win, and the chance to stay in the sport is a douche move. Newman may make the top 16, but really so what he isn't going to be a threat to win anything, What he took from matt by racing that way was far more than he stood to gain. Frankly I hope drivers get sick of this and dump him over it.

It’s Bristol.

Yeah, but if you're about to go a lap down, and you run into the leader like that...it's a dick move.

You was in the thread the night before talking about people who were holding Kyle Busch up, so come on bro don't change your tune here.

Yeah, but if you're about to go a lap down, and you run into the leader like that...it's a dick move.

You was in the thread the night before talking about people who were holding Kyle Busch up, so come on bro don't change your tune here.
Beating and banging is going to happen at Bristol.
Nobody wants to go down a lap and nobody intentionally runs into the leader when they’re fighting to stay on the lead lap.

Beating and banging is going to happen at Bristol.
Nobody wants to go down a lap and nobody intentionally runs into the leader when they’re fighting to stay on the lead lap.

I mean, I agree when it comes to the leaders and people fighting for the lead or position anywhere else. But you got to be smarter about it, Newman wasn't smart about it and he never truly is. Fight as hard as you can without running into someone. It might be Bristol, but he does stuff like this everywhere.

I mean, I agree when it comes to the leaders and people fighting for the lead or position anywhere else. But you got to be smarter about it, Newman wasn't smart about it and he never truly is. Fight as hard as you can without running into someone. It might be Bristol, but he does stuff like this everywhere.
I see nothing wrong with his actions.
Racing deal; nothing intentional.

Newman has always raced in a consistent manner, plus every point matters for him. I was cheering for MattD but Newman was fighting to stay on the lead lap, any driver would do that. Newman tries the get the most out of his car just like every driver who is competing for a playoff spot on points.

If MattD wins that puts Newman on the bubble in 16 place in playoffs
Newman could have been thinking “another first time winner and I can be out of the playoffs”
And purposely held up MattD so Hamlin would win.

Some years ago he purposely took out Larson to advance in playoffs (screwed JG) finished second in points that year.

Maybe this was heads up racing by Newman....in the way with a purpose

This is the only reason why I can normalize it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I think it's best I keep much of my opinion on this matter to myself as it is a bit biased.

I will say that I agree with you guys saying that slamming into the leader is a bit ignorant, but like other people say, Ryan Newman has a reputation for being nowhere close to winning and fighting to stay on the lead lap. That's the only battles with the leaders that he gets.

Inside the Top 10 late in the race still presents a lot of possibilities. If a yellow comes out late and he's the last guy on the lead lap of about 10 or so then he can afford to pit and see what happens on fresh tires. Even if there was not a particularly high amount of wear last night, he's starting in the fourth or fifth row with fresher stuff than everyone ahead of him.

And as others have mentioned already DiBenedetto was a potential bid stealer and would've made the playoff bubble a lot smaller with a win. Newman had plenty of reason to fight hard last night.

Ding ding ding.

I will agree with that post as a guy who's became a Newman fan this year. So I am biased.

Caution comes out and he’s caught up to the next car in front of him with possibility of passing them and another point. PLUS keep another playoff spot open. That’s the racers mentality as it should be. Matt’s should have been to move him. Lesson learned hopefully. Can’t blame Newman when he’s trying to make playoffs.

Back
Top Bottom