Newman; Busch leading the pack

H

HardScrabble

Over the past 6 races, two new generation drivers are showing their stuff. Two crafty veterans are hot on their heels. The much maligned Mr. Harvick rounds out the top five.

The top 25 point leaders over the last 6 races:

Position ----- Driver ----- Points ----- Current WC Standing
1 ----- Ryan Newman ----- 870 ----- 12
2 ----- Kurt Busch ----- 841 ----- 5
3 ----- Dale Jarrett ----- 821 ----- 11
4 ----- Mark Martin ----- 821 ----- 2
5 ----- Kevin Harvick ----- 806 ----- 26
6 ----- Ricky Rudd ----- 797 ----- 6
7 ----- Bill Elliott ----- 781 ----- 9
8 ----- Jeff Green ----- 751 ----- 20
9 ----- Jimmie Johnson ----- 732 ----- 3
10 ----- Elliott Sadler ----- 716 ----- 18
11 ----- Sterling Marlin ----- 715 ----- 1
12 ----- Terry Labonte ----- 715 ----- 17
13 ----- Tony Stewart ----- 703 ----- 7
14 ----- Michael Waltrip ----- 701 ----- 15
15 ----- Rusty Wallace ----- 694 ----- 8
16 ----- Jeff Gordon ----- 692 ----- 4
17 ----- Robby Gordon ----- 651 ----- 25
18 ----- Bobby Labonte ----- 645 ----- 19
19 ----- Matt Kenseth ----- 641 ----- 10
20 ----- Ricky Craven ----- 633 ----- 14
21 ----- Dale Earnhardt Jr. ----- 620 ----- 16
22 ----- John Andretti ----- 603 ----- 29
23 ----- Dave Blaney ----- 583 ----- 21
24 ----- Kyle Petty ----- 570 ----- 22
25 ----- Ward Burton ----- ---- 24

OMG, if Ward keeps up the decent finishes, he might just get paid at the end of the season. Gotta crack that top 20 to get any $$ from the points fund. Or at least it was that way the last time I heard.

I believe it is the top 25 now. But your point is valid, a finish outside the top 25 gets the driver a handshake and a thanks for showing up....:)

[Good to have ya,'back' HS]

Interesting.Things begin to shift a little,and a few surprises.JJ may not have the roty in the bag,Busch may not be out of the running for the title...and Harvick may stick around a while.Notice that J.Gordon has 'slumped'a little more...strange.
Who could have seen these things coming??What a sport!

It's good to see Newman's team get the engine problem they had earlier taken care of. Just shows how hard these teams work, going from multiple engine failures at the beginning of the season to building a bullett-proof engine turning 9500 rpm's at Pocono.

The ROTY race is far from over, since you throw out half of the races anyway the race is practically just beginning.

MM remains strong in the hunt for his title, but Kurt and JJ are not losing any ground to the leader either.

The WC race is open to several drivers, but someone will have to get on a roll to take it from Sterling. Contenders get close then seem to fall back, and Marlin continues to get just what he needs.

I agree.In honesty I thought Sterling would have slipped back to about 4th-5th by this point.He seems determined to surprise us all![or most of us,anyway]

And what about Matt??With 'Gordonian'luck[lol]he could have easily won about 5 races by now-but now he begins to fade a little!

Oh well.I for one think this is a great season.All the brands are pretty equal,several drivers seem very determined.Great season!

Sterling has got plenty of races to slide on Back. The glen will do some assisting in that. As for Matt, yeah he could have one the last 5 races with Gordon luck, but with Gordon luck the entire field could win lol. This season and every other is who has had the best luck and as you can see sterling is having it.

I still think Tony will make a push for the title. He always does much better in the second half. Watkins Glen could tell us alot about the outcome of the title chase. Tony and Gordon most likely will have a chance to cut into the lead on a road course.

Back
Top Bottom