NFL’s Proposed National Anthem Rules - 15 Yards for Kneeling?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Didn't want to pollute the official NFL 2018-2019 Thread with this stuff. I just thought it's interesting that it could come to this.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/22/a...ties-home-team-stay-locker-room-roger-goodell

ATLANTA — On Tuesday, NFL owners put three hours aside for a privileged session to speak—amongst themselves and family members—about the most sensitive of topics.

One was how the league will handle players kneeling during the national anthem going forward. An idea being floated in the room goes like this: It would be up to the home team on whether both teams come out of the locker room for the anthem, and, should teams come out, 15-yard penalties could be assessed for kneeling.

The league is currently being sued by Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid, with the two unsigned free agents alleging that NFL teams colluded to keep them unemployed. Kaepernick was the first NFL player to kneel during the national anthem, to protest police brutality, starting a trend that swept across the league in 2016 and '17.

I mean let's be honest, unless it's 15 yards every single time the ball is kicked to you or something, then it's not going to really matter. Just a small 15 yard one at the start won't change anything IMO.

Discussions on national anthem policy to continue Wednesday ( ESPN )

Among the possibilities discussed, according to sources, were:
  • Allow each team to implement its own policy.

• Clear the field of all football personnel while the anthem is played.

• Instruct players who don't want to stand to remain in the locker room while the anthem is played.

• Impose penalties on teams and players who do not stand, including a 15-yard penalty and/or fines.

• Add contract language that requires players to stand.

• Leave the current policy in place.
I believe the last item listed - no change in policy - is the wisest choice. I'm frankly surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit (1st amendment) filed against the federal government, and there still could be one. The NFL should take care not to become an added defendant of convenience in a suit like that. JMO.

Discussions on national anthem policy to continue Wednesday ( ESPN )

Among the possibilities discussed, according to sources, were:
  • Allow each team to implement its own policy.

• Clear the field of all football personnel while the anthem is played.

• Instruct players who don't want to stand to remain in the locker room while the anthem is played.

• Impose penalties on teams and players who do not stand, including a 15-yard penalty and/or fines.

• Add contract language that requires players to stand.

• Leave the current policy in place.
I believe the last item listed - no change in policy - is the wisest choice. I'm frankly surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit (1st amendment) filed against the federal government, and there still could be one. The NFL should take care not to become an added defendant of convenience in a suit like that. JMO.
The last one is not a violation, the players play for a team, the owners are the ones who dictate the rules just like in any workplace environment.

They really need to find another outlet. I get it, but damn you’re pissing off a lot of people by doing this

I will say though they have no case for first amendment rights, I’d probably get canned if I did something like that at work especially with our veterans

team owners and player agents can get rid of most of it with a question before they are represented or employed. Most of them are only around for 3 or 4 years in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom