NHL star beats up cabbie over 20 cents in change.

Benevolent One

Team Owner
WOODRIDGE, Ill. -- Patrick Kane said he was "sincerely" sorry for his actions that led to his recent arrest following an altercation with a cab driver in Buffalo, N.Y.

It was the Chicago Blackhawks star's first public comments since he and his cousin were arrested Aug. 9. Because of ongoing legal proceedings, Kane said he could not comment on the specifics of what transpired that night.

Kane, 20, and James Kane, 21, allegedly punched Jan Radecki and took back money they gave him after the cab driver told them he didn't have 20 cents change to give them.

The Kanes were charged with second-degree robbery and fourth-degree criminal mischief and theft of services. They pleaded not guilty after spending more than two hours in jail. The case was presented to a grand jury in Erie County, N.Y., last Thursday, and the jury's recommendation, which could be either to bring charges, reduce charges or drop the charges, is expected Wednesday or Thursday.

"I cannot discuss the details," Kane said, but added, "I sincerely apologize."

Kane's statement lasted less than a minute and added no new details of what transpired in Buffalo, given the ongoing legal proceedings.

"It's time for me to move forward," Kane said. He did not take questions.

Kane said he knew everyone wanted to talk about the incident, but he could not discuss details because of pending legal proceedings.

Team USA general manager Brian Burke said the incident might have been a case of Kane being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I know when I was Patrick Kane's age, there are things I did that I wouldn't want to talk about up here. [What happened] does not affect my judgment of Patrick Kane [in terms of selection for the 2010 U.S. Olympic team]."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

time to move his butt in jail. move on my a$$. i get so sick and tired of pampered athletes, celebrities, politicians and your general a$$wipes buying or using their influence to stay out of jail when you average joe/jane gets thrown in jail.

Any one of us would have likely spent a few days in jail for something like this. That's not really why I posted this story though.

It just amazes me how these athletes make such poor choices. This kid was a centerpiece of the Blackhawks recent marketing campaigns. He is paid an indecent amount of money to play well and behave himself. Apparently, the millions of dollars he makes weren't enough for him to hold up his end of the deal.

20 cents? Seriously? It's hard to imagine what he might have done to the cabbie if it was a whole dollar. :eek2:

Back
Top Bottom