NHRA's Scott Kalitta Killed In Racing Accident

D

Digger

Left Lane: Tony Bartone Runs 6.062/34.55, Now #19; Best prior run: 9.197/91.63, Was #19
Right Lane: Scott Kalitta Runs 4.974/300.73, Now #13; Best prior run: 11.891/68.14, Was #20

4:21 p.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 89 degrees, relative humidity 30 percent, barometer 29.92 inches, adjusted altitude 2,524 feet, track temperature 129 degrees.

Bartone "blowed it up" earlier today and was down to one chance to qualify. Kalitta towed the chute last round, same situation. Mike Ashley is on the bump spot at 5.459.
This started off badly for Bartone and finished violently for Kalitta.
Bartone started losing traction, then dropped cylinders and shut it off.
Kalitta was on a good pass until there was a huge engine explosion as he neared the finish line. The explosion shredded the rear of the body, sending pieces high in the air. The car continued through the shutdown area at high speed, into the sand and through the net, still at high speed. We could not see what happened after that, but there was a big ball of flame well past the sand pit, near the trees at the far end of the property. Then came the long wait for information from the accident scene, bad or good. 5:04 p.m. Still no word on Kalitta's condition. Race officials announced that it will take at least another hour to repair the damage at the top end of the track and the remaining cars have headed back to the pits. We'll let you know when or if we get official word on Kalitta's condition or if racing action is ready to resume.

A driver was killed in a fiery crash during a drag race today at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, state police said.
US PRESSWIRE/Bob KozelNHRA funny car driver Scott Kalitta during qualifying for the Route 66 Nationals at Route 66 Raceway on June 6.

Witnesses said the driver, Scott Kalitta, was speeding at an estimated 300 mph during the National Hot Rod Association Super Nationals when the engine of his Toyota Solara exploded in a ball of flames.

"The driver was killed after he lost control of his vehicle," said Sgt. Julian Castellanos, a spokesman for the State Police.

He declined to confirm that Kalitta was the victim, saying his family had not yet been notified.

But spectators at the track watched as Kalitta's car exploded, hit a sand trap, then vaulted over a protective catch fence. A slow-moving ambulance took the driver away.

Kalitta, 46, of Palmetto, Fla., was a two-time Top Fuel champion (1994-95) had 18 career victories, 17 of them in the Top Fuel class.
Mark J. Rebilas/US PRESSWIRENHRA funny car driver Scott Kalitta during testing at the National Time Trials at Firebird International Raceway on Jan. 29.

He began his racing career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982.

His father, Connie Kalitta, the legendary driver/team owner known as "The Bounty Hunter," was his co-crew chief, along with Glenn Mikres. Kalitta's cousin, Doug Kalitta, compete sin the Top Fuel class.

Castellanos said that the event was being taped for ESPN, and police will review the tapes to determine what caused the accident.

Scott has died. :(

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/06/driver_killed_in_crash_at_old.html

Driver killed in crash at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park
by Susan Wade and Jeffery C. Mays/The Star-Ledger
Saturday June 21, 2008, 5:59 PM
A driver was killed in a fiery crash during a drag race today at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park, state police said.
I posted this on my site 20 minutes ago.

Forgot to come here and post. Sad day in racing. I was hoping it wasn't true when Steve told me, but sadly it is. :(

NHRA's Scott Kalitta killed in crash

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J. — Scott Kalitta died Saturday when his Funny Car crashed and burst into flames during qualifying for the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park.

State police confirmed that the 46-year-old Kalitta, a two-time Top Fuel champion who had 18 career victories, was killed in the accident.

Witnesses told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at an estimated speed of 300 mph when the crash occurred.

The Palmetto, Fla., resident started his career at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in 1982. His father, Connie Kalitta, was a longtime driver and team own

I just saw the crash footage. Wow, a horrific crash. He was obviously killed instantly. Sad day in motorsports.
It appeared that he may have been unconscious at the initial engine failure because it didn't appear that any attempt was made to slow the car down. I saw a camera boom rocking in the aftermath of the wreck, so I'm not sure if he hit the camera crane.

candle-1.gif

I saw the crash on ESPN2, just horrible, one of those images that will haunt you for a long time.

Very sad. They sent out condolences during the Rolex race and I came online to see what happened. :sad: Prayers for his family, friends and those in the racing world.

Unfortunately, I think some litigation may arise from this tragedy.
Clearly, there should have been safety upgrades made to this facility prior to this incident.
I'm not a fan of lawyers of unfounded lawsuits but sometimes it is necessary to bring forth a change.

Unfortunately, I think some litigation may arise from this tragedy.
Clearly, there should have been safety upgrades made to this facility prior to this incident.
I'm not a fan of lawyers of unfounded lawsuits but sometimes it is necessary to bring forth a change.

But, judging from the severity of the explosion, and the intensity of the fire, I doubt the short run-out had anything to do with Scott's death.

I doubt that "blame" can be assigned in this case. It just happened.

But, judging from the severity of the explosion, and the intensity of the fire, I doubt the short run-out had anything to do with Scott's death.

I doubt that "blame" can be assigned in this case. It just happened.

The racetrack could be found negligent do to the fact that there was no run-off area. A lawyer could argue that Scott may have lived had there been other safety measures in effect.

The racetrack could be found negligent do to the fact that there was no run-off area. A lawyer could argue that Scott may have lived had there been other safety measures in effect.
agreed.

a 2800 foot shutdown is sufficient. a 40 foot sandbox isn't, nor an unprotected concrete wall at the end. This is one case i believe the NHRA should consider the SAFER barrier, in addition to about 6 layers of water barrels.

Like Scelzi said........................everything went perfectly wrong.

R.I.P. Scott

Back
Top Bottom