Night Race at Bristol Motor Speedway Pre-Race Thread

StandOnIt

Farm Truck
1726525342866.png

37 Cup cars for Bristol. 15-Grala 16-Allmendinger 66-Bilicki

1726525419327.jpeg

I remember the race where Terry Labonte was wrecked by Earnhardt on the last lap and he still won. In another Bristol race, Earnhardt wrecked Labonte on the last lap again and Earnhardt won the race. I think it was the only time Earnhardt was loudly booed.

I remember the race where Terry Labonte was wrecked by Earnhardt on the last lap and he still won. In another Bristol race, Earnhardt wrecked Labonte on the last lap again and Earnhardt won the race. I think it was the only time Earnhardt was loudly booed.

Two iconic races at such an iconic track. Remember them both like it was yesterday....

Goodyear Fast Facts — Bristol

NASCAR Cup Series — Race No. 29 – 500 laps / 266.5 miles
Bristol Motor Speedway (0.533-mile oval) – Bristol, Tenn.
Fast Facts for September 20-21, 2024

Tire: Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Speedway Radials

Set limits: Cup: 2 sets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 11 sets for the race(10 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)

Tire Codes: Left-side — D-5170; Right-side — D-5206

Tire Circumference: Left-side — 2,254 mm (88.74 in.); Right-side — 2,276 mm (89.61 in.)

Minimum Recommended Inflation:
left Front — 16 psi; Left Rear — 18 psi;
Right Front — 46 psi; Right Rear — 44 psi

Storyline – Goodyear returns to Bristol on spring tire set-up; tire management will be key: The spring NASCAR Cup Series race at Bristol Motor Speedway was a revelation. While running the same tire set-up as the previous fall’s race, the track did not take rubber and tires continued to wear heavily throughout March’s 500-lap race.

Goodyear followed up that event with a test at Bristol on July 16-17 to understand what led to the high wear. Six teams participated in that test, those of drivers Chase Briscoe, Chris Buescher, Austin Dillon, Justin Haley, Corey Lajoie and John Hunter Nemechek. With mid-summer temperatures higher than what they were at the race in March, there was a possibility that the track would take rubber more easily at the test, but that did not happen.

With that, the remaining variable versus the September 2023 race that featured the same tire set-up and a track that took rubber was the track preparation and choice of traction compound. In September 2023 the track was prepared with PJ1, while it was prepared with resin earlier this year. That change proved to be the chief factor in what we saw this March. Since the response to that race was so positive, It was decided that we go back this week with the same set-up and track conditions. Now that teams better know what to expect, tire management will be the key for drivers.

Tires will wear, but those that manage their rubber best will surely gain later in a run and pass drivers whose tires have been run harder and fallen off more.

“After all the work the sport’s stakeholders have put in on the Next Gen car and the short track package, the spring race at Bristol will go down as a day that really moved the needle,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “We have always said at Goodyear that we want to bring set-ups with the most grip possible while having a set of tires go a full fuel run. When we had the high wear race at Bristol in March, and saw the response from all involved, it really opened up the possibilities of what we could do. The bottom line is . . . tire wear is good for racing.

Drivers like that tire management is a factor and that they play a bigger part in the race, it’s a challenge for teams to come up with a well balanced car set-up and fans get treated to more passing on the track.”

Notes – Third straight Bristol Cup race on this tire set-up: Being on 18-inch bead diameter tires, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the Xfinity and Craftsman Truck Series at Bristol this week . . . this tire set-up debuted on the Cup cars at Bristol in September 2023 . . . while this right-side tire code is unique to Bristol, Cup teams ran this left-side code at Dover in April . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars do not run inner liners in any of their tires.

Wet Weather Tires – Goodyear bringing wet weather tires to Bristol for first time: Goodyear will bring its 18-inch wet weather radial tires to Bristol for the NASCAR Cup cars, should NASCAR determine that conditions warrant . . . Cup teams will have a maximum of 4 sets of wet weather tires for the event . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran the wet weather tire in competition at Chicago in July, and last ran it on a short track at New Hampshire in June . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.

Goodyear followed up that event with a test at Bristol on July 16-17 to understand what led to the high wear. Six teams participated in that test, those of drivers Chase Briscoe, Chris Buescher, Austin Dillon, Justin Haley, Corey Lajoie and John Hunter Nemechek. With mid-summer temperatures higher than what they were at the race in March, there was a possibility that the track would take rubber more easily at the test, but that did not happen.

While September, at night , is usually cooler, this will be an important exercise in tire management ...

While September, at night , is usually cooler, this will be an important exercise in tire management ...
Goodyear is at the expert level in word salads.

I was one of them BOOING from the grandstands in turn one.!
I was actually in the pits after the race. I was THIS close to Brook Gordon while he was being interviewed between haulers. Beautiful butt.....

Was sooo hoping I'd get to see Terry kick Earnhardt's butt.....too much class.

I hate this race is going on at the same time as the Tennessee-Oklahoma football game. It will cut into viewership and attendance.
My Mountaineers are set for the a$$ beating at noon so I should be home in time.....

it's one OF THE races on the calendar each year, 1 of 1. If you ever wanted to go to a race, pick this one. It's truly an amazing experience, there's NOTHING out there like Bristol. Stay in Johnson City, TN the track is about 20 min away and have fun.
Just did a quick google search of hotel rooms and man are they gouging people $700 to over a grand a night

Just did a quick google search of hotel rooms and man are they gouging people $700 to over a grand a night
yeah I got gauged probably, I knew it going in. Just saved extra money along the way to pay for it, I never worry about that kind of stuff when there's bucket list items to be checked off. Prices arnt for the faint of heart during race weekends at some of these towns close in or around the track.

^^Wytheville VA.^^ for us. Relatives are there, but we have stayed in Wytheville hotels , just because we get back so late from our Waffle House visit after the race..

My Mountaineers are set for the a$$ beating at noon so I should be home in time.....
Nice. I really don't follow football either, but didn't know there were any Mountaineers fans here. Don't forget the couch. :D

Back
Top Bottom