No mention of JD McDuffie?

97forever

Team Owner
10 years ago at this track.Thought the guys would mention it in passing at least.

Maybe this sport really has forgotten where it comes from.

Just kind of sad.

JD Mcduffie's story won't sell Sports Illustrated subscriptions and perfume ads.

However, you can bet that the name Earnhardt will be mentioned at every single race at Daytona for the rest of our lives.

Actually, 97 I have to disagree with you on this one. It's been 10 years........time as long past letting go. Any fan of JD McDuffie will remember.......EVERY time Nascar runs at Watkins Glen. If it were last year or maybe the year before then maybe you have a valid point (or gripe or whatever). JD will be remembered by his fans and people like me who saw that race for as long as they live, but we don't have to "celebrate" that sad and depressing event at specific intervals......one year, two year, five year, ten year, twenty-five year!! It's not like some joyous event that we should celebrate every chance we get. Anyone can say a little prayer for the McDuffie family each and every year (or whenever the desire strikes) that Nascar runs Watkins Glen......I know I think of him every year. We don't need the enthusiasm, joy and fun dampened by such remembrances. I'm a die hard Dale Earnhardt fan........expected the fanfare this last Daytona race about his parting and I'm sure there will be more next February too. But, after that I expect it to pass.........let it be.

Just my thoughts.

Originally posted by paul
JD Mcduffie's story won't sell Sports Illustrated subscriptions and perfume ads.

However, you can bet that the name Earnhardt will be mentioned at every single race at Daytona for the rest of our lives.

Sorry, Paul..........that was a cheap shot.

As far as I know it was 11 years ago, not that it matters. every time I see that inner loop I remember that day. If any good came out of it, it was the inner loop.

Well said, ADJ. I'll never forget watching that race. JD will not be forgotten by the long-time fan.

JD was mentioned by someone this weekend --- they gave his wreck and death as the reason the chicane was put in at the end of the backstretch.

And, yes, Paul, DE will probably be mentioned every time the cars run at Daytona. Simply because he was the best there was at that track. I have a feeling, though, in 10 years, it will just be mentioned, not dwelled upon.

The date was 8/11/91.

I though they would mention it only because of it being August 11, that doesn't happen every year.

No many of the fans will not forget, but most of the newer fans may never know. And in that lies the sorrow.

And ten years from now many will not remember....many not even know of Dale Earnhardt. But that is life........he will always be remembered by the people who think it's important. AND THERE LIES THE JOY!!

I few cars had #72 decals on the cars which was JD's number i belive. I barely rember that day but i do rember a little bit about it.
I was only 9 when it happened.

Back
Top Bottom