"No, no, no"?

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
Labonte, General Mills to RCR?
By Bob Margolis, Yahoo! Sports
Apr 5, 2008

Richard Childress Racing will field a fourth car in 2009 with sponsorship from General Mills, and Yahoo! Sports has learned that Bobby Labonte, the 2000 Cup champion, will be the driver.

Labonte, who has spent the past two-plus seasons driving for Petty Enterprises, will drive the No. 33 car.

Yahoo! Sports originally reported in February this exact story – that Labonte would be the driver of a fourth RCR car, with sponsorship from General Mills. At that time, Richard Childress acknowledged that he would field a fourth car, but denied Labonte would be the driver.

“No, no, no,” Childress told Fox Sports.

But sources close to the negotiations continue to confirm to Yahoo! Sports that a deal between Childress and Labonte is done.

Rumors of Labonte’s move to Childress began at the start of the 2008 season when Labonte signed to drive the No. 21 Nationwide car for Childress. It is expected the majority of the No. 21 team, headed by crew chief Shane Wilson, will move up to work on the new Sprint Car team.

Petty Enterprises had hoped signing a past champion like Labonte would help return the organization to respectability. It hasn’t worked out that way.

Since joining Petty Enterprises, Labonte has scored just 11 top 10s and no wins in 78 races.

A move to Childress would be a shot in the arm for Labonte’s career. One only has to look at how the move to RCR has helped the career of current points leader Jeff Burton, who since joining RCR has won at least one race in each of the past three seasons after going winless the previous four driving for Jack Roush.

Petty Enterprises don't expect to lose Labonte: Petty Enterprises lost the sponsor of its famed # 43 car to Richard Childress Racing on Tuesday, but officials don't expect the driver to follow. STP was the sponsor of the #43 car that Richard Petty drove to 200 victories. Now with General Mills moving on, the car needs a sponsor again. Robbie Loomis, the vice president for racing operations at Petty Enterprises, said the organization is in the final stages of negotiating a deal that would keep 2000 Sprint Cup champion Bobby Labonte there for the remainder of his career. He said losing General Mills, the current sponsor of Labonte's car, will have no bearing on that. "I'm not worried about that at all," Loomis said of losing Labonte to RCR. "I feel as good about it as anything I've felt about in a long time." (ESPN.com)(4-5-2008) Comment here

god i hope i dont have to watch earl pearson drive with a cereal box on his dirt latemodel. you cant make that look cool no matter what you do.

he has a good sponsor with an awesome looking car lol no cereal box.

http://www.bobbylabontemotorsports.com/photos/2007/eb_1.jpg

eb_1.jpg

I will shocked if Labonte stays with PE after this season. With Kyle not making races and their performance issues in general, I don't see a lot of incentive to stay.

hopefully he will go elseware I hate to see a guy like Labonte having to deal with that crap. The dude is still fast I bet he could do wonders in a RCR car.

Back
Top Bottom