no racin at the burg

• Thread starter johnnythunderhead
  • Start date
J

johnnythunderhead

no racin at the burg again this w/e/ will go to see mscs at putnamville, if there's a zero % chance of rain, if there's the slightest % chance, no way, been burned there before/ burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice shame on me! its the w/e end again and will no doubt rain anyways, so who's playin music out where?

no racin at the burg again this w/e/ will go to see mscs at putnamville, if there's a zero % chance of rain, if there's the slightest % chance, no way, been burned there before/ burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice shame on me! its the w/e end again and will no doubt rain anyways, so who's playin music out where?
No racing this weekend at Gas City either, or possibly the rest of the season. A big shame right there.

I'm always afraid to go out to the dirt tracks if there is more than a 0% chance of rain in the forecast... I have been at the track, a drizzle fell for about 15 minutes they call the show (WoO late models...), right after pulling out of the track drizzle stops, looks like a beautiful sunny day. I dont get it....
I was really impressed with 2 dirt tracks I went to in Wisconsin recently for WoO late model races. Shawano, WI , they had VERY HARD rain for about an hour or 90 min. They had a rain date (the next day) already scheduled, and I was sure they were just going to run the next day, but no, they go the whole show in that night.
Cedar Lake Speedway had rain 2 of 3 days, still got everything in no problem. The final day of the event was delayed about 90 min. Not bad, wish all dirt tracks were more like Shawano and Cedar Lake... I would make more of an effort to go to more dirt races if most tracks were like that. The rain didn't hurt the crowds either, the places were packed all 4 nights.

agreed toledo 47, it all depends on the track. Lawrenceburg will wait out a rain delay and run the track in and race if at all possible. but I was at Lincoln park speedway (putnamville) a couple years ago and it rained for ten minutes right after hot laps, it was a usac sprint speed week show and the grandstands were packed, with most folks camping there at the track or staying in local motels for the night, so no one was in any hurry to go any where and the track could have been ran in in less than an hour and the racing completed (as there was no more rain in the forecast and the promoter opted instead to cancel the show and pocket all the money. he refused to refund any money to anyone. the rain checks were valid for up to two weeks (but those were just regular shows) and were useless to travelers. I've been to a lot of race tracks over the years and this was the first track I've been to that refused to refund money (either in person there at the track, or in the mail, by sending you a check in return for your ticket stub/ including Eldora, lernerville and Williams grove just to name a few) I made up my mind never to go back to Lincoln park speedway if there was the slightest chance of rain, as I'm sure did many others. now the promoter wonders why his attendance is down, well its all a matter of commitment/ commitment to tying to get shows in and commitment to treating race teams and fans fairly. I wrote a scathing letter to Indiana open wheel forum about this situation (not realizing at the time that the guy who owned iow had a close relationship with that particular track and promoter and I got ripped up one side and down another and eventually got banned from iow for life for making constructive criticisms to area tracks. I won't go beyond that as I don't wish to speak ill of the dead (as the iow guy just died a couple weeks ago) but I've never been treated so poorly! that is bad news about gas city!

There's one track around here that I REFUSE to go to if there's a chance of rain because they just wank around when it comes to weather. PASS was there one race and it was listed as the first event on the schedule. So, the rain's about 30 minutes out, so the track moves their local divisions up and pushes the PASS race back. Sure enough, just as the PASS cars were rolling, the rain comes. To add insult to injury, the race was cancelled at the drop of a hat. It's not fair to the fans. They charge twice as much for a PASS ticket than they do for a local division. So, the fans paid twice as much to see a regular show and the PASS race was cancelled.

yep andy, some promoters do not merit any support whatsoever!

There's one track around here that I REFUSE to go to if there's a chance of rain because they just wank around when it comes to weather. PASS was there one race and it was listed as the first event on the schedule. So, the rain's about 30 minutes out, so the track moves their local divisions up and pushes the PASS race back. Sure enough, just as the PASS cars were rolling, the rain comes. To add insult to injury, the race was cancelled at the drop of a hat. It's not fair to the fans. They charge twice as much for a PASS ticket than they do for a local division. So, the fans paid twice as much to see a regular show and the PASS race was cancelled.

Thats one of the reasons i like going to bigger short track series like ARCA, K&N, Canadian Tire... At those events, it seems like the series is controlling the show, not the track. Usually when there is a weather issue, they will move the local class to the end of the show, or just cancel the local classes altogether. When there is a special at the track, the majority of the ticket purchasing customers are there for the special show. Gotta try to get it in no matter what.If the local class has to run their race too late, or not at all, whatever, make sure the majority of the fans get to see what they paid for. Especially since a lot of people do drive from long distances.
That story about PASS, thats a bunch of BS. I've almost experienced the same thing. Was at a WoO late model race in Bardstown KY. The A Main for the WoO was the final thing on the schedule (and they were running 2 or 3 local classes). The commentator mentioned it, and you could see it from the grandstands, weather was coming, VERY SOON (i could see lightning, not very far away at all). They kept on with their schedule, they did manage to get the WoO race in, but while I was in the parking lot leaving it started raining. They got lucky that night, can never understand why they would run the local stuff first rather than the touring series if there is weather on its way to the track....

Thats one of the reasons i like going to bigger short track series like ARCA, K&N, Canadian Tire... At those events, it seems like the series is controlling the show, not the track. Usually when there is a weather issue, they will move the local class to the end of the show, or just cancel the local classes altogether. When there is a special at the track, the majority of the ticket purchasing customers are there for the special show. Gotta try to get it in no matter what.If the local class has to run their race too late, or not at all, whatever, make sure the majority of the fans get to see what they paid for. Especially since a lot of people do drive from long distances.
That story about PASS, thats a bunch of BS. I've almost experienced the same thing. Was at a WoO late model race in Bardstown KY. The A Main for the WoO was the final thing on the schedule (and they were running 2 or 3 local classes). The commentator mentioned it, and you could see it from the grandstands, weather was coming, VERY SOON (i could see lightning, not very far away at all). They kept on with their schedule, they did manage to get the WoO race in, but while I was in the parking lot leaving it started raining. They got lucky that night, can never understand why they would run the local stuff first rather than the touring series if there is weather on its way to the track....

It's ridiculous when a track spends all day saying they'll race and then pulls the plug at the first raindrop that falls after 5pm or 7pm. That's happened to me way too many times. I know which tracks pull this and don't go and also know which tracks will either cancel early or make every attempt to get it in and I do go there. I also know why some of those tracks do what they do. I get the business side of things but I, personally, will never see how pissing fans and drivers off is good for business. Eventually, reputation will catch up with you.

It's ridiculous when a track spends all day saying they'll race and then pulls the plug at the first raindrop that falls after 5pm or 7pm. That's happened to me way too many times. I know which tracks pull this and don't go and also know which tracks will either cancel early or make every attempt to get it in and I do go there.
I pretty much have not had this problem with paved tracks, i mostly avoid the dirt stuff if there is even a slight chance of rain in the forecast...
People get burned too many times, so they don't bother to show up anymore... I'd be there every time if i thought they would actually make an effect to get the show in.
I think (excluding the giant stuff like NASCARs big 3, IndyCar, etc...) ARCA makes the best effort to get the show in. I will always go to their race no matter how bad the forecast is, they always make the effort.

I pretty much have not had this problem with paved tracks, i mostly avoid the dirt stuff if there is even a slight chance of rain in the forecast...
People get burned too many times, so they don't bother to show up anymore... I'd be there every time if i thought they would actually make an effect to get the show in.
I think (excluding the giant stuff like NASCARs big 3, IndyCar, etc...) ARCA makes the best effort to get the show in. I will always go to their race no matter how bad the forecast is, they always make the effort.

The Hampton Heat 200 didn't start until 11:30pm this year. They made every attempt and got the whole thing in. There are other tracks I've been to where I've sat through rain delays for hours but they made every attempt to get the show in. Those are tracks I go to.

back in the day, I don't think the ever allowed an ascoc ohio sprint speedweek show to rain out/ they'd wait it out, run in the track and run he race. there were an instance or two where the sun was coming up as the checkered flag fell. now that was commitment!

the only problem with pavement shows are: 1. there aren't many paved tracks near here and 2. while the burg and Eldora might have 40-50 sprint cars signed in, Winchester is lucky to have 18 if that

The Hampton Heat 200 didn't start until 11:30pm this year. They made every attempt and got the whole thing in. There are other tracks I've been to where I've sat through rain delays for hours but they made every attempt to get the show in. Those are tracks I go to.

I have only had 1 experience with Langley, but it was a good experience and they had a rain delay. Dried the track, didn't even bother with the national anthem (never seen that happen!) and ran the K&N race. Great track, would really like to get back there one of these days, just has not worked out.

the only problem with pavement shows are: 1. there aren't many paved tracks near here and 2. while the burg and Eldora might have 40-50 sprint cars signed in, Winchester is lucky to have 18 if that

Don't know about the local stuff (or the sprints) at Winchester, but if you like big stock car shows they have some good ones. ARCA goes there once a year, they have the Winchester 400, and i'm not sure, but I think they have another CRA Super Series race during the year as well/

I've seen the cra l m's following a usac sprint show there and no offence, but it was , well boring after watching the usac sprint cars rip around the high banks

I've seen the cra l m's following a usac sprint show there and no offence, but it was , well boring after watching the usac sprint cars rip around the high banks

I have never been to a CRA race but ARCA usually puts on a good show at Winchester IMO

the cra put on a good enough show, but the sprint cars are so wicked fast and exciting that they're just too tough an act to follow

dopplar map along with Lincoln parks rep for pulling the plug after a ten minute shower kept this boy at home, looks like they're about to get hammered

did not go n they got it in, heard brady short won with ballou 2nd

Typical dirt race with bad forecast today for me. At the USAC Silver Crown race at the mile dirt track at the Illinois State Fair (Springfield), rained for 30 min, they called it, race with a 2pm scheduled start time (they were actually gonna start it early at about 1:40 due to rain fears) and not a drop of rain at the fair until about 6 or 6:30. I don't understand who that benefitted to call it right away. I have seen the USAC race run there 1 time with rain problems, they did a great job getting the track together and ran the show. Wasn't much of a crowd there today(due to rain fears i'd imagine), the promoter probably thought it would be cheaper to refund tickets than payout the purse. They claim they will re-schedule, but I have heard that before with this race and it hasn't happened. I hoping they don't so I can just mail my tickets in for a refund. Don't want to drive 7+ hours just for the USAC, mostly came for tomorrow's ARCA race.

so did they hot lap or time trial? if so I'm surprised they refunded your money, they would have in pa. and ohio, but they would not have in Indiana. usac seems to enjoy shooting itself in the foot and I'm sure the promoter was breathing a sigh of relief if there wasn't much of a crowd.

well at least c j Leary's sprint car won a race tonight , even though he wasn't there to drive it, as they put chase stockon in the # 30 tonite and he won the dick gaines memorial at the burg. to bad c j wasn't able to race today in the champ car. this was the 3rd sprint car feach in a row the # 30 has won at the burg, they've really got it set up n flyin! it out ran joss Moffatt, daron clayton and Robert ballou, et al tonite.

Last edited by a moderator:
so did they hot lap or time trial? if so I'm surprised they refunded your money, they would have in pa. and ohio, but they would not have in Indiana. usac seems to enjoy shooting itself in the foot and I'm sure the promoter was breathing a sigh of relief if there wasn't much of a crowd.

They did practice and time trial. Tracy Hines on the pole. They were on track 1 lap away from green when it started raining. Rained for about 30min, then about 15 min after the rain stopped they cancelled it... no more rain for many hours, very annoying

yeah I understand, but 1 /2 our is quite awhile did It rain very hard? seems like the should have at least tried to run the track in, its a lack of credibility when they don't even try, and a reputation for poor credibility means people won't bother going to your events any more. the thing that irks me is they had at lest a 1/2 dozen or more great sprint car drivers who would have raced at the burg last night had it not been for that champ car race, oh well what can ya do?

yeah I understand, but 1 /2 our is quite awhile did It rain very hard? seems like the should have at least tried to run the track in, its a lack of credibility when they don't even try, and a reputation for poor credibility means people won't bother going to your events any more. the thing that irks me is they had at lest a 1/2 dozen or more great sprint car drivers who would have raced at the burg last night had it not been for that champ car race, oh well what can ya do?

It was raining pretty good, but I went one year 2007 i think?(the year Ricky Stenhouse Jr won at Springfield) and they re-did the track and it was great. They shortend the race to 75 laps but other than that there were no problems, good race. Oh well, thats the way it goes... They did get the ARCA race in, so the trip wasn't all for nothing...
I don't know if the drivers would have ran at Lawrenceburg anyway, there was a powri midget race at Macon IL that night (many of the Springfield drivers were there, although it got cancelled due to rain...) and there was a big race yesterday in Wisconsin as well.
Have you ever made it to the big mile tracks at Springfield or DuQuoin? Really cool events, its neat having the fair going on, the old covered grandstands at DuQuoin probably look the same as they did when they first had races there. Really great historical venues.

nope never been there, the only mile I've been to was the indy mile and that was just this year to see the champ cars.. it was good, but not near as good as the midgets or sprint cars a Eldora or the burg.

nope never been there, the only mile I've been to was the indy mile and that was just this year to see the champ cars.. it was good, but not near as good as the midgets or sprint cars a Eldora or the burg.

I highly recommend them. I have wanted to go to the Indy mile someday, but i'm not a huge USAC fan, don't wanna make the big trip for USAC only, i wish they would run ARCA with them there too. Hoping to check out the Syracuse mile in NY for USAC and the big block modifieds this year...

Back
Top Bottom