NOOOO

P

pettyfan4life

The oldest tradition in NASCAR is going away.

The Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway, a mainstay on the Winston Cup schedule since 1950, will not be back in 2004, an anonymous source told ESPN.com.

Instead, NASCAR is moving its annual Labor Day weekend race to the California Speedway and is considering making it a night race. It's not known whether the Southern 500 title will accompany the race to Fontana, Calif.

"This could be the beginning of some fairly substantial changes in the Winston Cup schedules and there could be some big surprises down the road," said the source, who is close to the NASCAR family.

An official announcement is expected in the near future.

"This isn't the first time we've heard that but we haven't met with NASCAR to sign our sanctions for 2004 so right now we don't have any specific dates," said Kathy Mock, director of public relations at Darlington.

"I'm confident we'll have two dates in 2004 but right now we just don't know."

Asked what it would mean if Darlington no longer hosted the Southern 500, Mock replied: "It would be tremendously disappointing to lose the Mountain Dew Southern 500, especially considering we're about to host it for the 54th time.

"But we don't want to worry about that because the schedule hasn't been determined yet."

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter denied the report.

"Not to my knowledge," said Hunter, a former general manager at Darlington who now runs NASCAR's public relations office. "I think I would know if that was going to happen and I don't see that happening."

Bill Miller, general manager of California Speedway, said no sanction agreements with NASCAR for 2004 had been signed but admitted adding a date to its spring race was certainly acceptable.

"The reality is we have made no bones since this facility was built that we wanted a second date," said Miller, whose track seats 110,000 and draws another 15,000 in infield general admission for Winston Cup races.

He also acknowledged California could accomodate a night race in '04.

"We have gone to the county of San Bernardino and we are now permitted to put in lights and have the ability to run races at night," Miller said.

Darlington, site of many of stock car racing's greatest moments and known as the track "Too Tough to Tame," will continue to have two Cup races -- its usual spring show in April and a new date in November.

The loser in this transaction is North Carolina Speedway in Rockingham, which will forfeit its November race and turn it over to Darlington. The Rock will keep its spring race.

"We have no official word on realignment at this time," said Christie King, public relations director for North Carolina Speedway.

While this transaction affects three tracks, all are owned by the International Speedway Corporation and it had long been rumored that ISC wanted another race in the Los Angeles market.

Originally posted by PettyBenson4510@May 16 2003, 10:45 PM
Darlington is saying that is is just a rumor!
:dual9mm: Thats Bull, I get tired of "I'ts a rumor" stuff that we are always fed. Just like drivers getting fired, and 1 week later the driver is fired, I know thay have to wait for a press release, but come on, if it's true, don't deny it, just say NO COMMENT at this time. PettyBenson, anger not directed at you :lilangel:

I wondered how long it would take for someone to try and spread that rumor on this board.

First thing; read where this first appeared. ESPN has been trying to spread all sorts of rumors since they lost the TV rights.

Second thing; notice the name of the reporter who wrote the article. Robin Miller has for years hated NASCAR; since he got fired from his job as motorsports reporter at the Indianapolis Star and hired by ESPN as a racing expert, he is now a huge fan of NASCAR.
Remember, one of the reasons for his being fired was something to do with fabricating rumors from "unknown inside sources".

Third thing; officials at Darlington have denied any knowledge of so much as any discussion of losing the Labor Day date. Isn't that the only date which that track sells out?

Fourth thing; Jim Hunter of NASCAR has said that he knows nothing at all about any move of the Southern 500, that this rumor is the first that he's heard of it.

Geez, all this stuff was reported yesterday, and still some folks feel the need to continue spreading unfounded rumors and stirring the big old brown pot.
Let's wait and see what changes when the new schedule comes out later this year.

Well hell, if your going to get all pissed at me for tryin to help inform the board and this crap i dont see why I should bother

I can very well understand why you all are mad that this race might be taken away...

but the sport IS growing, and more and more people around the United States Of America are tuning in every race to see the NASCAR action we all love! If the racing turns out to be better there, then that improves the situation. The fact is that the races have to move around a little bit more, and this is a starting point, I would like to see this race stay as well, but to the people in California who love racing and sell out all the seats, well, they deserve another race... :)
:salute:

I've done a bit of checking on this.
Darlington holds on the order of 65,000 fans, maybe a couple thousand more in the infield?

California has seats for something around 110,000 with room for several thousand more in the infield.

California sells out its races. Even the Southern 500 has not been a sell out since 1998.

From a business standpoint, considering your stockholders, which venue do you take your racing dates to? Remember that ISC is a publicly owned company and does have stockholders which the Officers and Board of Directors have to answer to.

Tradition has never paid any bills. NASCAR has never been run on tradition. Never! NASCAR was initially founded and its entire reason for being, has always been for the simple reason of making money. That is usually the only reason any business is founded and it certainly is the only reason any business can continue to exist.

Pettyfan, no one is getting all pissed about anybody trying to inform the members of the forum. It's simply that you're a day late with your rummors and it's obvious that you failed to verify the information which you were posting.

Let's wait until NASCAR releases the 2004 schedule before we all start whining and crying about what is happening at which tracks. At this point even NASCAR is probably not sure of all the details. They've got ideas, I'm sure, but I would doubt that anything is cast in stone just yet.

Why post anything that is just a rumor? You can speculate and post something that you might want to happen, but as far as unsubstantiated rumors....i say let me see the schedule in black and white then i'll comment. Rumors are just that, rumors and we won't know what the schedule for next year is until it is released.

Originally posted by Mopardh9@May 17 2003, 12:59 PM
Why post anything that is just a rumor? You can speculate and post something that you might want to happen, but as far as unsubstantiated rumors....i say let me see the schedule in black and white then i'll comment. Rumors are just that, rumors and we won't know what the schedule for next year is until it is released.
Rumors are what gets people talking about certain subjects, I think, even if it's a rumor, i'ts good to get peoples opinion.

Back
Top Bottom