Northern Lights

They were unusually bright a few months ago but they are predicted to be even more unusually bright this time. They are one of my favorite night sky phenomenon to see.

There's even a possibility that the solar flare is strong enough to affect radio communications and power grid. Apparently it won't be serious though.

Here's some maps of where you can see the lights.

"https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/o...visible-thanks-to-the-solar-flare/ar-BB1mbbmi"

>>Where the northern lights will be visible thanks to the solar flare...​

...Amid its period of peak activity, the sun is launching electromagnetic bombs at Earth, and all you can think of is gazing up at the northern lights? Good. You have your priorities in order, because nothing bad is likely to happen despite the recent solar flare eruptions. Here's how to enjoy the show:

According to NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center a "Geomagnetic Storm Watch" is in effect for Saturday, May 11. That means unless you normally wake up at about 1:00 a.m., staying up Friday, May 10 will be the best to way to see the local results of the sun's recent strong flares. On the night of May 11 and early morning of May 12, aurora conditions will be less favorable.

1715379173494.jpeg

1715379219010.gif

<<

I had friends in the area that posted it, but we couldn't see it from here.

I was camping last night just an hour 20 south of Auckland as I am again tonight and took a couple of pics of the sky with my S23 Ultra. I thought I was doing something wrong so I gave up.
20240511_185130.jpg
20240511_184927.jpg

Back
Top Bottom