Not making friends

Bobw

Team Owner
jlo, started the kerfuffle in the Xfinity race, Lather rinse repeat he did it again last night to Kurt.
Both times he ended up with good finishes at the expense of others due to his erratic win at all costs screw everyone else type of driving.

No one will come out and say it but I think jlo might be in for some unintended, rubbin's racin' consequences.

jlo, started the kerfuffle in the Xfinity race, Lather rinse repeat he did it again last night to Kurt.
Both times he ended up with good finishes at the expense of others due to his erratic win at all costs screw everyone else type of driving.

No one will come out and say it but I think jlo might be in for some unintended, rubbin's racin' consequences.
Used to be you could count on it. Nowadays in politically correct Nascar? Who knows?

What do you want in racing? Everyone follow the leader and take what you can get?
Screw that, race for the win or the best position you can get.

BTW, you are assuming that JLo did this on purpose. Is every restrict race crash because someone did it on purpose or only when Team Penske cars do it?

After what happened to Kenseth last year everyone is probably afraid to retaliate against the golden loaf.

So McM can cause a wreck that wiped out half the field and it was just racing, but if a Penske car even comes close to someone then it is pure evil? With Busch I guess on the last lap you just sit there and do nothing because you can't win?

B-h0eI_CEAAHWQk.jpg

635931153746873507-c08-logano-21.jpg

In this format, Logano will have a REALLY hard time winning a championship unless he earns respect from other teams & drivers. Right now he has zero.

My point exactly as you can pound your chest about driving in Nascar not being a popularity contest and loving a win at all costs mentality but there are still 39 other cars on track you have to coexist with. It doesn't matter if the other drivers are right or wrong but if the perception is that JLo is taking liberties he may win a few battles but he will always lose the war.

"By the sword you did your work, and by the sword you die."

If a man that is as respected as much as Mr Penske is and who has forgot more about racing than any of us will ever know sees nothing wrong with how his drivers drive, it's good enough for me.
Like the article says, not an owner out there that wouldn't want those 2 in their cars.

You're operating under the assumption that what people say in press conferences & interviews is actually how they feel, and what they talk about behind closed doors. Many times it's not even close.

I'm sure of two things: 1) he truly likes having both drive for him. 2) How other drivers view Joey is worrisome to the organization, and more likely than not something they're talking to him about and trying to improve. Like you said...Mr Penske knows racing.

Kenseth got what he deserved for escalating a minor incident far more then it needed. He should of got a bigger suspension then he did
Maybe that's the problem . These new drivers don't know how to do the subtle tap then keep their darn yap shut instead of bragging about it on National tv.

If a man that is as respected as much as Mr Penske is and who has forgot more about racing than any of us will ever know sees nothing wrong with how his drivers drive, it's good enough for me.
Like the article says, not an owner out there that wouldn't want those 2 in their cars.
If Kurt would have done the same thing to Joey the captain would not have felt the same way!

If Kurt would have done the same thing to Joey the captain would not have felt the same way!
Joey tried to pass and improve his position. Kurt moved over and Joey let him wreck himself, didn't back off. At worst Joey wanted to pass the 41 and not help him beat the 2. But him being JLo he is now vilified for it.

You're operating under the assumption that what people say in press conferences & interviews is actually how they feel, and what they talk about behind closed doors. Many times it's not even close.

I'm sure of two things: 1) he truly likes having both drive for him. 2) How other drivers view Joey is worrisome to the organization, and more likely than not something they're talking to him about and trying to improve. Like you said...Mr Penske knows racing.

Nothing wrong with Jolo did by the rules. BUT his "drivers Karma" is not being increased. If he needs some good karma in the future, that cheque might bounce

There is what you say for public consumption and then there is what you really say when the cameras and recorders are off. If JLo wants an opportunity to win the champ lottery he will need to earn the respect of his competitors or things will happen on track to prevent it.

Kenseth got what he deserved for escalating a minor incident far more then it needed. He should of got a bigger suspension then he did

The biggest loser was JLo as Matt got a nice 2 week vacation but JLo got turfed from the lottery.

Joey tried to pass and improve his position. Kurt moved over and Joey let him wreck himself, didn't back off. At worst Joey wanted to pass the 41 and not help him beat the 2. But him being JLo he is now vilified for it.

It doesn't matter what you or I think of JLo's actions but what his fellow drivers think is paramount. If enough drivers think he isn't playing fair and square they will deal with him on track.

Am I right in thinking that you feel JLo can race drivers in a way they don't like and there won't be repercussions? Didn't last year show you that?
No that's not what I'm saying.. I'm saying he will win the war eventually.. if of course by war you mean championship. It'll happen.. probably more than once. He may not be popular but kid can drive.. and this is NASCAR not a Ms. America pageant.

It was much more than Matt that took joey out of contention last season.. or do we forget there was 2 more races in that round after Matt's demo derby? A blown tire at Texas took him out and he would have lined up behind the leader for the final run at Phoenix had it not rained. Sure Matt has to take some of the credit but it was things that have absolutely nothing to do with how the other drivers feel about him that took him out and he knows that as well as you all should. Not to mention he didn't win Homestead anyway lol so I mean either way he wasn't getting the 2015 cup.

Nothing wrong with Jolo did by the rules. BUT his "drivers Karma" is not being increased. If he needs some good karma in the future, that cheque might bounce
I think that's a big reason Kyle couldn't win a championship earlier in his career. He didn't give them any leeway during the regular season, so they didn't give him any leeway during the chase.

No that's not what I'm saying.. I'm saying he will win the war eventually.. if of course by war you mean championship. It'll happen.. probably more than once. He may not be popular but kid can drive.. and this is NASCAR not a Ms. America pageant.

With the championship lottery coming down to one race you never know who will prevail in the lottery and JLo could win multiple champs. IDK if JLo did anything wrong with Kenseth last year and I had shut the race off and deleted it before the latest dust up on Saturday. It doesn't matter if JLo is popular, looks like a dork or what the fans think of him. What does matter is what his fellow drivers think and if they don't respect him or don't feel like he is racing them fair and square they will retaliate. It doesn't even have to be true but even if the other drivers perceive him as a menace he will still be dealt with.

It doesn't matter what you or I think of JLo's actions but what his fellow drivers think is paramount. If enough drivers think he isn't playing fair and square they will deal with him on track.
You and these other drivers should consider this: Joey is young, he will be racing when those other guys who think they are privileged are gone. There are only a few at the top who consider themselves privileged and they better think twice because Joey and team mate can also make damn sure who DOESN'T win a championship.
The threat works both ways and let me remind you that Penske can out spend every owner in the garage. SHR is going Ford, who are there friends going to be? Right, if they want to run as good as Penske they better play nice.
Shove your empty threats.

While I am still a little salty at Joey for him taking Kurt out, I am not 100% sure that was his intention right now, and I am giving slice bread the benefit of the doubt on this and chalking it up to plate racing , but, I wont shed a tear if Kurt "accidentally" takes Joey out during the Chase

If NASCAR wants drivers to respect each other then NASCAR needs to respect the drivers and let the drivers determine the winner not NASCAR

You and these other drivers should consider this: Joey is young, he will be racing when those other guys who think they are privileged are gone. There are only a few at the top who consider themselves privileged and they better think twice because Joey and team mate can also make damn sure who DOESN'T win a championship.
The threat works both ways and let me remind you that Penske can out spend every owner in the garage. SHR is going Ford, who are there friends going to be? Right, if they want to run as good as Penske they better play nice.
Shove your empty threats.

I have done a brutal job of communicating on this thread as I can't seem to make my point. I have nothing against JLo or BKez and think they are a credit to their teams and the series overall and wish them nothing but good things. I agree with you that if any driver has it in for another driver they can take on track revenge however if a driver has the respect of the garage it is less likely that it will happen. If JLo or any driver gets a bad reputation amongst his peers things will likely not be as smooth for him with the other drivers. I don't think my statement is breaking new ground or in anyway controversial or even driver specific.

Villains are fundamental to the success of the sport.

That is something I will have to ponder as I agree that the WWE has to have good guys and villains but I am not sure about Nascar. I used to like the rivalry between Ford and GM but manufacturer fans are on the endangered species list today. There used to be a good rivalry between Dale and Rusty and Dale and Bill but even the driver rivalries don't seem to have much traction and last as long as a news cycle. IDK why that is.

I'm operating under the assumption Mr Penske doesn't play games on the track or in the media and says what the hell he means.

Back
Top Bottom