Now, I'm excited...

Man the prestige is roaring into this era of NASCAR. Them Richard Pettys and dale earnhardts got nothin on this hot plate...

I'm a big fan of having the regular season remain relevant through the playoffs. There could be various ways to do that, but this is what we have now, and we didn't have it last year. This year is a lot better because regular season excellence will be rewarded in the playoffs, rather than being wiped out and forgotten.

I also like that the stage points provide a mechanism by which the best teams can pull a real gap over the mid-field runners. When the points scale stretches from first place to last place in a near-linear fashion, that inevitably under-rewards the winners and props up the mid-field. That is what Nascar has done for many decades, and I have always hated that. Again, there could be other ways to accomplish it, but this is what we have. I'll take it gladly, compared to what we had before. Just my $0.02.

I'm a big fan of having the regular season remain relevant through the playoffs. There could be various ways to do that, but this is what we have now, and we didn't have it last year. This year is a lot better because regular season excellence will be rewarded in the playoffs, rather than being wiped out and forgotten.

I also like that the stage points provide a mechanism by which the best teams can pull a real gap over the mid-field runners. When the points scale stretches from first place to last place in a near-linear fashion, that inevitably under-rewards the winners and props up the mid-field. That is what Nascar has done for many decades, and I have always hated that. Again, there could be other ways to accomplish it, but this is what we have. I'll take it gladly, compared to what we had before. Just my $0.02.

Agreed

Yeah, while I'm not a fan of the idea of a playoff system in this sport, they did manage to make the regular season finally mean something. I'll be interested to see how this all plays out during the final ten.

Yeah, while I'm not a fan of the idea of a playoff system in this sport, they did manage to make the regular season finally mean something. I'll be interested to see how this all plays out during the final ten.
I mentioned in the Sonoma thread that Brian France's must be getting scared that Truex will secure enough stage points to guarantee advancement all the way to Homestead.

I mentioned in the Sonoma thread that Brian France's must be getting scared that Truex will secure enough stage points to guarantee advancement all the way to Homestead.
I don't see that as a bad thing. Maybe his fellow competitors will take note and realize the importance of wining those stages? Truex, not BF.

I don't see that as a bad thing. Maybe his fellow competitors will take note and realize the importance of wining those stages? Truex, not BF.
I see it as a good thing too, from the competition aspect, from a regular season performance aspect, and because anything that makes BZF question his decisions can't be all bad. Now if he'd just start doing it proactively instead of in hindsight...

I see it as a good thing too, from the competition aspect, from a regular season performance aspect, and because anything that makes BZF question his decisions can't be all bad. Now if he'd just start doing it proactively instead of in hindsight...

I don't understand the point system but good for MT for playing by the rules in place and taking advantage of them. For me it isn't about who wins the third quarter or the second period but who has the most points/goals as time expires or in Nascar's case the car that crosses the finish line first signifying the end of the race.

I don't understand the point system but good for MT for playing by the rules in place and taking advantage of them. For me it isn't about who wins the third quarter or the second period but who has the most points/goals as time expires or in Nascar's case the car that crosses the finish line first signifying the end of the race.
In this case, a car can win the stages, get a good finish overall and outscore the race winner. Then down the road in the chase he has enough points over the others that, should he get knocked out of a race he could still advance.

In this case, a car can win the stages, get a good finish overall and outscore the race winner. Then down the road in the chase he has enough points over the others that, should he get knocked out of a race he could still advance.

I bet that will go over really well if it happens.

I don't have a problem with how Martin is taking advantage of the rules, but your comments make me think you don't quite understand what he's doing.

Basically, he's getting more points per race than the race winners are receiving. He's doing it winning a stage (or two) and finishing well. It's the equivalent of hockey awarding two points for leading each of the first two periods but still only three for winning the match and only one for the tie.

It's the opposite of who has the most goals / crosses the line first.

I don't have a problem with how Martin is taking advantage of the rules, but your comments make me think you don't quite understand what he's doing.

Basically, he's getting more points per race than the race winners are receiving. He's doing it winning a stage (or two) and finishing well. It's the equivalent of hockey awarding two points for leading each of the first two periods but still only three for winning the match and only one for the tie.

It's the opposite of who has the most goals / crosses the line first.

I just meant that it was good for Martin that he was exploiting the rules to his advantage as every other driver has the same opportunity to do so. As far as accumulating more points than the race winner....well....that is just crazy and akin to having the fastest car not sit on the pole. I had read on here that a stage winner could accumulate more points than the race winner but didn't know it had been done. With respect to me and the Nascar point system I think the less I know the better.

Shame on you...click bait.

You have to read the article.

" 2017 TOTAL STAGE POINTS
RANK
DRIVER TEAM STAGE POINTS STAGE WINS
1. Martin Truex Jr. Furniture Row Racing 215 11
2. Kyle Larson Chip Ganassi Racing 201 3
3. Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Racing 150 4
4. Brad Keselowski Team Penske 135 2
5. Kevin Harvick Stewart-Haas Racing 132 3
6. Ryan Blaney Wood Brothers Racing 115 3
7. Chase Elliott Hendrick Motorsports 112 2
8. Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Motorsports 110 1
9. Denny Hamlin Joe Gibbs Racing 92 2
10. Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Racing 90 1
11. Jamie McMurray Chip Ganassi Racing 84 0
12. Joey Logano Team Penske 77 1
13. Erik Jones Furniture Row Racing 56 0
14. Clint Bowyer Stewart-Haas Racing 43 0
15. Kurt Busch Stewart-Haas Racing 41 0
16. Ryan Newman Richard Childress Racing 29 0
17. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Hendrick Motorsports 26 0
18. Kasey Kahne Hendrick Motorsports 20 0
19. Austin Dillon Richard Childress Racing 19 0
20. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Roush Fenway Racing 17 0
21. AJ Allmendinger JTG Daugherty Racing 16 0
22. Trevor Bayne Roush Fenway Racing 15 0
23. Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Racing 10 0
t-24. Paul Menard Richard Childress Racing 4 0
t-24. Daniel Suarez Joe Gibbs Racing 4 0
26. Ty Dillon Germain Racing 2 0"

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/06/18/2017-monster-energy-nascar-cup-series-stage-points-2/

You have to read the article.

" 2017 TOTAL STAGE POINTS
RANK
DRIVER TEAM STAGE POINTS STAGE WINS
1. Martin Truex Jr. Furniture Row Racing 215 11
2. Kyle Larson Chip Ganassi Racing 201 3
3. Kyle Busch Joe Gibbs Racing 150 4
4. Brad Keselowski Team Penske 135 2
5. Kevin Harvick Stewart-Haas Racing 132 3
6. Ryan Blaney Wood Brothers Racing 115 3
7. Chase Elliott Hendrick Motorsports 112 2
8. Jimmie Johnson Hendrick Motorsports 110 1
9. Denny Hamlin Joe Gibbs Racing 92 2
10. Matt Kenseth Joe Gibbs Racing 90 1
11. Jamie McMurray Chip Ganassi Racing 84 0
12. Joey Logano Team Penske 77 1
13. Erik Jones Furniture Row Racing 56 0
14. Clint Bowyer Stewart-Haas Racing 43 0
15. Kurt Busch Stewart-Haas Racing 41 0
16. Ryan Newman Richard Childress Racing 29 0
17. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Hendrick Motorsports 26 0
18. Kasey Kahne Hendrick Motorsports 20 0
19. Austin Dillon Richard Childress Racing 19 0
20. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. Roush Fenway Racing 17 0
21. AJ Allmendinger JTG Daugherty Racing 16 0
22. Trevor Bayne Roush Fenway Racing 15 0
23. Danica Patrick Stewart-Haas Racing 10 0
t-24. Paul Menard Richard Childress Racing 4 0
t-24. Daniel Suarez Joe Gibbs Racing 4 0
26. Ty Dillon Germain Racing 2 0"

http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/06/18/2017-monster-energy-nascar-cup-series-stage-points-2/

I did read the article and I do not see anything about a "Stage Champion. Do you work for CNN? :)

I did read the article and I do not see anything about a "Stage Champion. Do you work for CNN? :)

Just my point. Here are the standings...
Starting with Number 1!

There will be a trophy.

My daddy taught me life was all about winning. Not stages, not points, not prettiest paint job.

Just my point. Here are the standings...
Starting with Number 1!

There will be a trophy.

My daddy taught me life was all about winning. Not stages, not points, not prettiest paint job.
you sure you don't have it twisted and instead are talking about the regular season points winner? That was something most of the fans thought should be awarded to the driver who had the most points in the regular season before going into the playoffs?

Its turning into a video game. 1 point for every car a driver passes, 2 points for passing a past champion, 3 points for passing last weeks race winner, 4 points for passing last year's winner of the current race, 5 points for passing the pole car, lose 5 points for passing a female driver, lose 2 points for passing NASCAR's most popular driver, get 1 point for passing Digger, lose 5 points for running over Digger, lose 5 points for causing a caution, get 10 points for causing a caution when Kyle B is the race leader....

Gotta stop - im out of commas.

I bet that will go over really well if it happens.
I like that the best cars do well. I remember the year Brad K was winning it all and gets taken out of the chase by a back marker. With those extra points he would have survived. Same goes for Kenseth taking out Joey AND Jeff taking out Bowyer which let JJ win the championship.
Those are the things that real race fans get pissed at enough to quit.

Its turning into a video game. 1 point for every car a driver passes, 2 points for passing a past champion, 3 points for passing last weeks race winner, 4 points for passing last year's winner of the current race, 5 points for passing the pole car, lose 5 points for passing a female driver, lose 2 points for passing NASCAR's most popular driver, get 1 point for passing Digger, lose 5 points for running over Digger, lose 5 points for causing a caution, get 10 points for causing a caution when Kyle B is the race leader....

Gotta stop - im out of commas.
But none of that happens. Interesting you took the time to type all of that out..

Martin truex jr could end up being the new king of NASCAR. Get him a cowboy hat and a throne ready.

Martin truex jr could end up being the new king of NASCAR. Get him a cowboy hat and a throne ready.
200.gif

I like that the best cars do well. I remember the year Brad K was winning it all and gets taken out of the chase by a back marker. With those extra points he would have survived. Same goes for Kenseth taking out Joey AND Jeff taking out Bowyer which let JJ win the championship.
Those are the things that real race fans get pissed at enough to quit.
That kind of stuff has happened in the past. Davey Allison had the championship wrapped up but got caught up in an incident which set the stage for Ellitiot and Kulwicki to race for the Cup.

That kind of stuff has happened in the past. Davey Allison had the championship wrapped up but got caught up in an incident which set the stage for Ellitiot and Kulwicki to race for the Cup.

Actually Bill Elliott had the championship well in hand and should of had it wrapped up prior to Atlanta.

No fail. Davey had a 30 point lead heading into the final race that season. He was well within reach of his first and only championship. It was his to lose.

Yes fail. Bill Elliott had a 164 point lead over Alan Kulwicki and a 134 point lead over Davey Allison with 7 races to go. With 2 races to go Bill had a 70 point lead over Davey and and an 85 point lead over Alan so Allison and Kulwicki should never have even been in it to begin with. I think the world of Bill Elliott but the fact is that the #9 team blew it big time in 1992.

Back
Top Bottom