Number change for the 88?

H

HardScrabble

News item from about a week ago.

Target Stores of Minneapolis has issued a call to all 1,100 stores nationwide to stop selling clothing printed with "eight eight" and "88," which stands for "Heil Hitler" because H is the eighth letter of the alphabet.

This was in response to comments indicating that Neo-Nazis were using the "88" as a signature.

Since then I have read several comments here and there indicating that UPS should/will/may be forced to/ etc. demand a change of the number on RYR car piloted by Dale Jarrett. Somewhat of hot topic in some arenas. Some folks are demanding that the car number be changed.

Haven't seen this discussed here, unless I missed it. Was wondering what the thoughts here were about the deal. Figured I'd ask here cause this reparte could roam off into parts unknown.

IMO, it's a "go away you annoy me" deal, but I may be more apolitical than most.

This is completely and utterly absurd. Next thing you know, we'll have religious groups demanding that Mark Martin change his number because it's the sign of the devil.

Political correctness to the nth degree. So damn sick of it. :headshake

Oh for the love of Cheese Whiz. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Buddy Baker ran the 88, does that make HIM a Nazi? 88 looks like BB, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. This is like the idiots who tried to say KISS stood for Kings In Satan's Service and all that crap. Well, anyone can do that, just watch:

Paul - Pedophile Advocating Unlawful Liasons

Does that make it true??

Ward - Witches And Revered Demons

Does that ake Ward Burton a witch?

NASCAR - National Alliance of Satanists, Child molesters, And Rapists

Ridiculous

UPS - UnProtected Sex???? Unified Pedophile Society????

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan

NASCAR - National Alliance of Satanists, Child molesters, And Rapists

Actually, I believe this one is accurate, Ward. :)

What it means to me is that Target will no longer be getting any of my business.

What next, will they pull out of their NASCAR sponsorship because there is a car out there with the "evil number du jour"? Good grief, whatever happened to common sense?

A NUMBER IS A NUMBER i could maybe see if it was 666 but they should of said soemthing a long time ago not now!!! :mad:

Ya know what, with all of these rumors floating around...I have had about enough. Heck if DJ's number is 68 or 78 or whatever, the fact still is that he is Dale Jarrett, and I highly doubt that he would lose any fans over a number change...

Maybe Jeff Burton should change his number too! After all if you turn the 99 upside doew it is 66.

REDICULOUS!!!!!!:(

Originally posted by Awesome_Bill
Ya know what, with all of these rumors floating around...I have had about enough.  Heck if DJ's number is 68 or 78 or whatever, the fact still is that he is Dale Jarrett, and I highly doubt that he would lose any fans over a number change...

That's not the point Awesome. Why should (or would) a company or anyone change just because there is a small minority (even less.......just one person) with some hairbrained connection to something that is "bad". It's nothing but political correctness.......someone or some group of people so afraid that they may offend someone and too lily livered to stand up for common sense. I have never heard of the connection......now Target is making a deal of it? Stupidity.........pure and simple.:(

I suppose we are to believe that none of Target's reaction could possibly have anything remotely to do with the fact that DJ's shirts might be OUTSELLING Spencer's in his own sponsor's store??

I also presume that Target will begin to hound the NFL, NCAA and any other sports governing body whose players wear a number 88 jersey.

I stopped shopping at Target years ago, when the only spokespersons they could find for their TV ads were Scott Hamilton (insert alternative lifestyle comment here) and Amy Grant, the biggest hypocrite alive.

:heehee: :calpping: Naw they wont change it. The number that Target removed look nothing like Jarrett's. I think it also hav something else with it. I think.

Back
Top Bottom