Ok, going to chance this one again.

A

adjfan4ever

I got so many nice/good responses to the first question I asked, I'm going to make a comment and see what you all think. Once again, it goes to the race in Michigan. (Note, it takes me a week to come up with these) Non racing fan in the family and we have to share TV time and VCR time. LOL
Anyway, I've watched the race-the tape-interviews-race programs and the one good thing is DJ keeps winning. ROFL I think I'll keep this tape for the lean times. I'm sure there will be some. Ok, to the statement. When I think of racing, I think of doing your best, doing what you have to do to win or finish well (best you can at any rate). Also, when I think of race car drivers, and think of good ones I think of the stories that are told by old or new about what a driver went thru to finish the race in whatever position. To me that's what makes racing interesting and makes the history in the long run. JMO So, with that in mind, I think maybe they should have spent more time on what Jeff Burton was doing/going thru to get his car to finish at all much less in 4th place and what Bill Elliott ended up going thru. The glossed over some of it with Jeff but with Bill there was some coverage when he was in the top 10 or so and shifting and driving one handed and passing cars but when he dropped to 43rd, not much more was said other than he had problems and the man actually brought that car, problems and all up to I think it was 22nd place which means he continued to struggle with a not so cool car, continued to pass cars and finished better than half the field. It's like the weekend at Watkins Glenn, Ryan Newman with no power steering. Now I can only guess what that's like as I"ve lost power steering on my own car but that's what stories, history and great/good race car drivers are made of. IMO

ADJFAN,Maybe they are tryng to get more people to use there new pay per view in car program.Past that I have always questioned coverage of certain drivers.You might as well beat your head on a wall vs wanting them to change.If it isn't a popular driver you aren't gonna get very much coverage unless one of the heros hit your driver.:(

Good point. Maybe you should copy/paste it in an email to NBC. Doubt it'll do much good though.

Every network that has televised racing has had its biases. Some were more subtle than others, but they are always there. Some reasons may even have some validity. If, for instance, a certain driver is more media accesible before a race and after a race, he is liable to get more of the little featurettes on him, and the announcers, directors, camermen etc will be a bit predisposed to follow his progress, as they have the copy on him to use along with it. I know one of the networks got in some hot H2O with NASCAR over a policy they wanted to use stating that they only gave primary coverage to cars whose sponsors also advertised on the network. That didn't fly, but I bet it still happens to some degree.

Announcers are human, and have their favorites as well. Sometimes it's a blood tie, like Ned Jarret and Jaws. Benny Parsons was instrumental in helping Bill Elliott in his NASCAR infancy, so he had a little bias toward Bill. Dick Berggren thought Dale Earnhardt hung the moon. About the best I ever heard as far as bias goes was Bob Jenkins.

Good post though. I agree with your thoughts and would like to see more race coverage and less antics, fewer gadgets like the little bubble balloons, and all that. MRN does a much better job of full field coverage. Turn the TV on, mute it, and listen to the radio. Less chance that BOTH will eb in commercial at the same time too.

Thanks for the thoughts, just found it interesting with all that was going on it wasn't stressed more the hard work those two did to stay or get to where they were.

TN, thanks for the advice--maybe I will do just that. Have been meaning to try MRN anyway and just never have done it. I procrastinate too much--that's my middle name I think. LOL

pb, speaking of the pay per view--they offered that here for free one weekend and I totally forgot about it until I got reading the reviews. Made me so dang mad!!! I'd really wanted to try it since it was free. Might be worth the price if I could guarantee being home all the time for the races like I have this year. Well, almost all of them--think I've been away for two but got to watch them anyway. Oh well, guess now I'll never know or just have to take a chance.

Thanks again you two.

I like to run both MRN and the tv audio at the same time with the tv audio adjusted to the high side treble, and the radio adjusted to boost the bass.

I generally have a radio tuned in to MRN here at the computer if I want to chat with you guys or maybe do IRC. During qualifying I have the computer fixed to a live timing link. Every now and then a local ham radio scanner station will re-adjust their scanners to hit the driver radios (for free) and that is really cool too. It will be a cold day in South Africa before I PAY for public information on the net so Racecast is out of the question.

At least once in every fans life they should imo listen to a race without viewing it on tv.

ADJ, I pre-date TV coverage of all the races. I remember when you got the Daytona 500, one at Talledega, maybe one at Michigan on tape delay, and another one somewhere through the season on TV...AND THAT WAS IT!!!! MRN was a staple around our house on Sundays. I get a better mental picture what's going on if I just listen to them and chuck the TV coverage. But I think you'll want a TV for Bristol...

Are some of you folks able to get MRN on regular transistor radios where you are? My computer's in a different room from my television, so it would be awfully inconvenient to listen to MRN while watching the race.

Unless I blasted it so loud that all of Queens heard it.
aktion028.gif

yea, there is an mrn affiliate list somewhere....when I find it I'll post it under another thread.....also have a yahooradio link to station that carries MRN despite nascar and TSI's efforts to shut them down.

It's a must to have the TV & computer in the same room for me.
I paid for racecast!
I have the TV & computer lined up so it's like looking in the mirror to see the other!

I haven't been able to deal with the delay from racecast to listen to MRN & watch TV

:p :p

DEF, are you implying that you didn't like the second "N" in Glenn??? And to think I was born and raised in NY around the area myself. LOL

Call me an old fogey, I guess. I never even thought about internet radio.

I can pick up MRN on 3 different FM stations around here, and haven't explored AM. Then again, this ain't New York either. I just mute the TV and turn on the stereo. You know, stereo, that thing people used before MP3 players...:p

Lud·dite [lú dt ] (plural Lud·dites) noun

1. opponent of new technology: somebody who opposes technological or industrial innovation

2. HISTORY 19thC protester against technology: a worker involved in protests in Britain in the 1810s against new factory methods of production and in favor of traditional methods of work

[Early 19th century. Origin uncertain: according to tradition, named for Ned Ludd , an 18th-century farm worker in Leicestershire, England, who destroyed two stocking frames in a fit of rage.]

Lud·dite adjective
Lud·dism [lú dìzzm ] noun

Oh, OK. I thought it was a cult or something. Maybe some bizarre encampment dedicated to Ricky Ludd, a famous procrastinator...

Naw, I just never thought about internet radio. I got a music collection that takes up most of a room, so radio bores me. When I want music, I play it. In fact, MRN is about 90% of my radio listening. So I have no need for net radio, thus never thought about it for this application. I is just simple country folk, y'know.

TN, I'm sure glad you asked what that was!!! ROFL I would have hated to go dig out the dictionary!

I usually go with the radio/stereo myself TN. I'm old enough that I forget about the new fangled opportunities the computer gives us. Until someone mentions it. Also, when mentioning coming from NY, don't get the wrong impression-I said small town, I meant small town. Everyone looks alike, thinks alike and has a heck of a good time. ROFL Not a thing wrong with that, as a matter of fact, as I've gotten older and moved around I appreciate the simple life we had more and more. I have a brother who lives in TN and he just absolutely loves it. I do love the names of the towns you throw in your posts every now and again though. Suppose that would go with Ketchum, Hoboken and Pecktown. LOL

Oh, we got some great names for places around here. I live not too far from Buzzard's Roost, Cobbler's Nob, Poor Valley, Polecat Knob, Devil's Nose, and Bybee. Plus we got a Bucksnort, Fly, and my personal favorite, Bugscuffle.

That's one of the reasons I got so interested in Appalachian history years ago, the colorful language. We don't just call someone buck-toothed, we say, "(S)he could eat a punkin through a barn crack." Makes the conversation more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom