Old country fans, I need help

Benevolent One

Team Owner
I can not find the name of a song and it is driving me nuts. I think it might be from the group Alabama. But I might be wrong on that. I remember some of the first stanza, but I can't remember far enough into the song to get the chorus, and therefore likely, the name of the dang song.

The song starts off

It was July hot crossed Georgia
on my way to Tennessee
I just got my diploma
so I sat out in search of me

Theres another part in there where they say

Got a gig down at the Bayou
played for tips and watered drinks

If any of you know the song I am thinking of, please share the name of it with me. I don't have much of my mind left, and I'm sure what is left could be put to better use than dwelling on this subject. So please, try to help me out here. Thanks.

You are welcome. Alabama is one of my favorite country groups.

No wonder I couldn't find the song. I was off by just enough words to make a search futile. Now that DaniceRules showed me the error of my ways, I looked up the right lyrics. Just in case anybody cares, here they are.

Tar Top
by Alabama

It was July hot across Georgia
On my way to Myrtle Beach
I just got my diploma
so I set out in search of me
The honeymoon was over
And Alabama was far away
From being little more
Than just a southern state

I got a gig down at the Bowery
I played for tips and watered drinks
Just a novice in a business
That's seldom what it seems

And where are you going Tar Top?
Where's J.C. and the Chosen Few?
I saw the Flash without T. Gentry
and B.V. left for Malibu

I was July hot and 30
Some years down the line
When the boys touched the nation
unaware at the time
I got to go to Texas
California, New York too
A farm boy who is thankful
To be standing in his shoes

But in the Bowery hangs the memories
Of dreams that still come true
Everytime I see the spotlights
I'm one of the Chosen Few

J.C., where's J.C. and the Chosen Few?
There's no Flash without T. Gentry
B.V. Where are you?

Where are you going Tar Top?
Which direction will you take?
What's this contrabanded Glamour
About the music that you make?

Isn't country enough?
Is it contemporary glamour?
No, it's us... just us.

one more time.

You are welcome. Alabama is one of my favorite country groups.

I didn't realize how much of their stuff I really liked until I checked them out on Rhapsody. I just put 22 of their songs in my library so I can listen to them any time I want.

Got anymore Country music mysteries, ask 83WYNNSOLDS, he is a old country music freak.

Old Country to me is Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams, Sonny James and a whole bunch more great singers.

Oh yeah, and my old buddy George Jones, the greatest of em' all.

Old Country to me is Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Williams, Sonny James and a whole bunch more great singers.

Oh yeah, and my old buddy George Jones, the greatest of em' all.

I can handle some of that older stuff. I always liked Conway Twitty, Johnny Paycheck, Merle Haggard and some of those guys.

Buck Owens was great too, although I didn't really get an appreciation for his music until Dwight Yoakam really spotlighted it for me. Yoakam is about as big a fan of Buck Owens as there ever was. He brought Buck's music to a different generation with some of his efforts. He redid Streets Of Bakersfield with Buck himself. That was a great video, by the way. He even did a whole album entitled Dwight Sings Buck, where he covered a bunch of Buck Owens songs. Up until he did that, I honestly thought of Buck Owens as the guy with the ugly red, white & blue guitar from Hee-Haw.

Back
Top Bottom