Old School Class

I think somebody cloned a mixture of Tony Stewart, Bill Elliott, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson and presto, Kyle Larson, Ryan Blaney and Chase Elliott appears. Those three among others should be a blast to watch for years and years to come.

Wow!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!! A kid that has some sense....... He just gained a load of respect from me...... I have been saying for years the burnouts were juvenile..... go out and destroy an engine and drivetrain for no reason....

Way to go Ryan...... you and the Wood Brothers are A-okay in my book!!!!!!

This is pretty much all I need anymore. Video from the final restart. No goofy stages, no fake yellows, just racing to the checkers.
Maybe shorter (3 lap) NASCAR races really is the answer.

Jr's philosophy, why do burnouts in a winnable car?

Use it for later, ie Amelia when he won in that car for two years.

I would be the same way, he's really an old soul for this generation. IMHO so is Keselowski and Logano, very old school esque drivers for a new generation.

Jr's philosophy, why do burnouts in a winnable car?

Use it for later, ie Amelia when he won in that car for two years.

I would be the same way, he's really an old soul for this generation. IMHO so is Keselowski and Logano, very old school esque drivers for a new generation.
If they are ''old school'' I wish they would take a lesson from Blaney and quit the burnouts..... I can't imagine seeing Sr., Mark Martin, Richard Petty, David Pearson, Harry Gant or any of those guys doing burnouts.... they had more respect for the car.... the team, the engine builders, the owner and the guys in the shop .

Hey Ryan thats cool n all but Kyle Larson had the greatest burnout of all time
nascar-cup-michigan-ii-2016-race-winner-kyle-larson-chip-ganassi-racing-chevrolet.jpg

To each their own. I get what Ryan is saying... the guys I got use to watching when I discovered the world of NASCAR would do the traditional victory lap type celebrations... it's classic. Things were different then compared to 2017 and all. Back in the day they literally needed to spare all the equipment possible and rebuild all that they could... in the modern times these race cars are so disposable to race teams... as bad as it might be to look at it that way, it's true. I heard a quote from a crew chief in recent years who said most of these race cars are good for 5 to 6 races tops, then it's time to move them out of rotation.

So while it might be reckless in some opinions to do burnouts, it's also a different time for some of these high profile race teams.

Some of the burnouts are to purposely destroy the car ( rear end) so that it passes post race inspection. ask kboosh how that works.
Blaney? 2 thumbs up for this kid, Class act.

I kinda cringe when Brad does it, since I'm not a fan of it. I wish he, like Blaney, would act like he's been there before unless it's a big win. I'm just not a fan of those that do things for attention. I like that he comes from a family that had to take care of their stuff and it carries over to driving for a group that probably could absorb abusing equipment but his mature and sensible enough to ask "why"?

I kinda cringe when Brad does it, since I'm not a fan of it. I wish he, like Blaney, would act like he's been there before unless it's a big win. I'm just not a fan of those that do things for attention. I like that he comes from a family that had to take care of their stuff and it carries over to driving for a group that probably could absorb abusing equipment but his mature and sensible enough to ask "why"?
I agree..... no respect for the equipment or the folks who paid for it.....

I kinda cringe when Brad does it, since I'm not a fan of it. I wish he, like Blaney, would act like he's been there before unless it's a big win. ...
This, but I'm not big on rehearsed touchdown celebrations either. I don't mind pointing in the direction the home run went, high-stepping into the end zone, or hot dogging a bit when you've taken that rebound the length of the court unimpeded. The attention is already on you anyway, and those don't slow things down or damage equipment.

It was Mark's best attribute PLUS he gave credit to his teams. So much so that when he won a No Bull Million he gave it to his team members AND I think he gave the winnings from his IROC titles to them as well. He said he wouldn't have been there without their efforts.

Blaney held true to his word.....Acted like he'd been there before with class. Woulda been cool if he could have given his team a ride to VL like he said in the article. I wondered if he would be able to do it without a penalty due to inspections?

To each their own. I get what Ryan is saying... the guys I got use to watching when I discovered the world of NASCAR would do the traditional victory lap type celebrations... it's classic. Things were different then compared to 2017 and all. Back in the day they literally needed to spare all the equipment possible and rebuild all that they could... in the modern times these race cars are so disposable to race teams... as bad as it might be to look at it that way, it's true. I heard a quote from a crew chief in recent years who said most of these race cars are good for 5 to 6 races tops, then it's time to move them out of rotation.

So while it might be reckless in some opinions to do burnouts, it's also a different time for some of these high profile race teams.

With sponsors getting harder to find, they might want to start sparing the equipment.

Blaney held true to his word.....Acted like he'd been there before with class. Woulda been cool if he could have given his team a ride to VL like he said in the article. I wondered if he would be able to do it without a penalty due to inspections?
He said he wanted to, but with no radio communication he couldn't get to them for the ride. Maybe next time.

I remember when Kulwicki did the radical Polish Victory lap...times have changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Blaney sets a return to the days of old without burnouts. Often thought the coolest thing I ever saw at the track was Alan Kulwicki doing what he called, "The Polish Victory Lap." Pure class!!

Here’s to the crazy ones.

The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers.

junior_lrg.jpg

The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

images

You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things.

images

They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

images

Last edited:
I believe it was a tribute to Alan that Rusty started doing that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Kinda sounds right....Rusty probably won the race at Bristol after Alan died and started it there. I remember him mentioning doing a Polish VL in memory of his buddy.

I remember Alan saying he did it to be non-conventional AND because he could see the fans and felt interaction with them after a win, which I'm sure is WAY cool.

Yeah I just checked it was Rusty.

junior_lrg.jpg

images

You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things.

images

They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.

Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

images

Forgot to include the misfit, rebel and troublemaker who got me into the sport initially:

rpm_g_stewartt_300.jpg

images

Tony%2BStewart%2BPortrait%2Bby%2BAndrew%2BBrusso.png

junior_lrg.jpg

images

images

images

I'm with you on all but one of those guys! The one who cried when Ryan whooped his arse on a restart a few years ago!
Just because Ryan has class doesn't mean he's going to roll over!
Ask Truex. Ask Earnhardt. Ask Busch.
You can drive your guts out with a "take no prisoners" attitude and still not be an A-hole at the end of the day.
Just sayin.

I am good with NO burnouts, was a DE fan mostly and he didn't do that.
Of course he would bend a fender for the win. The dumb a$$ moves are the back flip, snow angel, and the current dive with your face down and hope your chest doesn't collapse.

junior_lrg.jpg

images

images

images
Burp.

I believe it was a tribute to Alan that Rusty started doing that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right. Rusty just happened to win a bunch of races the year Kulwicki died, so he got to do his tribute quite a bit. Rusty and Alan both came up in ASA, I think they were pretty good friends.

I can sure appreciate a Polish Victory lap a lot more than a childish burnout that destroys equipment.......

I cringe every time I see a burnout for the same reason that you do. It is another reason I don't like plate racing because so much good stuff gets torn to pieces. I gather that you are like me in that there was no extra when growing up and you had to fix, finagle and repair and you don't forget that stuff and it changes the way you look at things.

Back
Top Bottom