On Going - Songs You Like

J

Jameswnh

The recent music threads about what's dead and what isn't, what's just plain awful and what's great got an idea in my head. I've done something similar to this elsewhere, so a few here will recognize it, but it will be a little different. This will be a place, to put it simply, post what you like. That easy. There are no prescribed guidelines, there doesn't need to be any order, just whatever you think is good whenever you think of it can go right here. It can be videos, a list of 10, a list of 50, whatever. This is one that is intended for people to come back to when they have something in mind, so theoretically it could go on for a long time. Or it could be a dud, but I don't think we usually hesitate to let it be known what we like when given the chance.

Smash hits, one hit wonders, obscure artists, all of it can go here.

So, here's how I will start it, with links to the Youtube video for select songs. All I'm doing is thinking and letting them fly:

The Animals - House of the Rising Sun (1964)
Dobie Gray - Drift Away (1973)
Muddy Waters - I'm Ready (1978 Version)
ZZ Top - She Loves My Automobile (1979)
Hawkshaw Hawkins - Lonsome 7-7203 (1963)
The Black Crowes - Twice As Hard (1990)
Bob Dylan - Tangled Up In Blue (1975)
Taj Mahal - She Caught the Katy (1968) You might recognize this from the opening sequence of The Blues Brothers.
Billy Joel - Movin' Out (1977)
Creedence - Green River (1969)
BJ Thomas - (Hey, Won't You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song (1975)
Jon Tiven - River of No Return (1996) I believe this was recorded before the Jeff Healey version, but not released until '96.
ZZ Top - Waitin' For The Bus (1973)
Billy Currington - Good Directions (2005) I guess not all modern country stinks, but the ones I like are few and far between
Steve Winwood - Dirty City (ft. Eric Clapton) (2008)
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Refugee (1979)
Kenny Rogers - Lucille (1979)
Marty Robbins - Devil Woman (1962) I think one of the most under rated country songs there ever was
Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner (1977)
Bad Company - Rock & Roll Fantasy (1979)
Pink Floyd - On the Turning Away (1987)
Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin' (1973)
Supertramp - Take the Long Way Home (1979) Don't really like anything else by Supertramp, but I can't get enough of this one.
The Black Crowes - She Talks to Angels (1990)
The Statler Brothers - Atlanta Blue (1984)
The Statler Brothers - Bed of Rose's (1970)
Billy Walker - Cross the Brazos at Waco (1964) Another badly under rated tune.

So there's a good mix of things, and I'll likely be back for more? What say the rest of you?

Guess I'll plug in the wayback machine --- I'll go with groups rather than indiviual songs

Iron Butterfly-- who cannot be wowed by "Ina Gadda Da Vida"
Jimi Hendrix
Black Sabbath
AC/DC
Queen
Tangerine Dream
The Ventures

One particular song by Norman Greenbaum --"Spirit In the Sky"

And now for a bit of whimsy--
Beach Boys
Mamas and Papas
Kingston Trio

One of my all-time favorites....ever. I love this song, always will

Rush "Xanadu"

Another favorite, Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell. the world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. My first Sabbath album.

Just a couple that come to mind right now. Neat thread, I'm sure I'll add more.

One of my all-time favorites....ever. I love this song, always will

Rush "Xanadu"

Another favorite, Black Sabbath Heaven and Hell. the world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. My first Sabbath album.

Just a couple that come to mind right now. Neat thread, I'm sure I'll add more.

I love all of those old Rush songs!

Shame, Shame, Shame by Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Couldn't Stand The Weather by Stevie Ray Vaughan

Can't You See by the Marshall Tucker Band

It's funny because I don't really like much else they ever did, but that is just a great song. Heard It In A Love Song, was ok, but that's about it for their music for me.

1. Aerosmith
2.ACDC- Stiff Upper Lip
3. Trace Adkins- You're Gonna Miss This
4. Alice In Chains- Man In The Box
5. Apocalytica- I Don't Care
6. Collective Soul
7. Styx- Renegade
8. Garbage- Bleed Like Me
9. Martina McBride

Guess I'll plug in the wayback machine --- I'll go with groups rather than indiviual songs

Iron Butterfly-- who cannot be wowed by "Ina Gadda Da Vida"
Jimi Hendrix
Black Sabbath
AC/DC
Queen
Tangerine Dream
The Ventures

One particular song by Norman Greenbaum --"Spirit In the Sky"

And now for a bit of whimsy--
Beach Boys
Mamas and Papas
Kingston Trio

Wow you been in my vinyl collection?

Good stuff. I may have been Iron Maiden's biggest fan in high school. Stranger In A Strange Land has never been one of my favorites, but all of their stuff rocks. I'd have to say Hallowed Be Thy Name is my favorite, but Trooper and about 20 other songs are pretty close.

Queensryche---The Queen Of The Reich

One of the greatest metal songs ever recorded! The vocals on this are the closest thing to Bruce Dickenson of Iron Maiden I've ever heard. And just an awesome, violently driven song. I wanted to be a vocalist after hearing this song. It's kind of a cheesy video, but still an incredible song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0_THrxYs1w

Queensryche---The Queen Of The Reich

One of the greatest metal songs ever recorded! The vocals on this are the closest thing to Bruce Dickenson of Iron Maiden I've ever heard. And just an awesome, violently driven song. I wanted to be a vocalist after hearing this song. It's kind of a cheesy video, but still an incredible song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0_THrxYs1w

I've never been that big of a fan of Queensryche, but I've always found Tate's vocal to be almost identical to Dickenson's

Didn't hear this until today, but am absolutely in love with this stuff. Now I'm in search of more bluegrass.

Steep Canyon Rangers - Knob Creek

I learned how to do it by quoting one of the posts that had a video.

And so with that, here is one from a DVD that is absolutely beautiful...

the latest from Weird Al, a parody of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," of which he did not get permissions for.

the latest from Weird Al, a parody of Lady Gaga's "Born This Way," of which he did not get permissions for.

That was awesome. It made me look up the actual video. I've never seen one of her videos. I really can't stand that type of music, so I've really just tried to ignore her for the most part. That video was both disturbing and incredibly sexy. Her face is really kind of ugly, so I never really got the attraction to her, but she is incredibly hot in that video. A GREAT body dancing suggestively in a bra and panties has that effect, of course.

By the way, did I mention that she has a GREAT body?

That was awesome. It made me look up the actual video. I've never seen one of her videos. I really can't stand that type of music, so I've really just tried to ignore her for the most part. That video was both disturbing and incredibly sexy. Her face is really kind of ugly, so I never really got the attraction to her, but she is incredibly hot in that video. A GREAT body dancing suggestively in a bra and panties has that effect, of course.

By the way, did I mention that she has a GREAT body?

Funny you say that, I had to go look up the Gaga video to. Personally, I can't stand her voice, I think it's horrible. And yeah, that face is not exactly attractive, I just don't get the attraction either.

Although personally, I didn't find her hot in that video, body or not.

Funny you say that, I had to go look up the Gaga video to. Personally, I can't stand her voice, I think it's horrible. And yeah, that face is not exactly attractive, I just don't get the attraction either.

Although personally, I didn't find her hot in that video, body or not.

There is nothing hot about Lady Gaga.

hard to pick a janis joplin song as i like them all. nobody before or since had/has a voice like hers (bonnie raitt is close).

[youtube]-7JVxE2SYxo[/youtube]

This is quite possibly my favorite song ever

Life Without You by Stevie Ray Vaughan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAv5ZuuSxSI

stevie_ray_vaughan_1.jpg

Steep Canyon Rangers, along with Steve Martin, who happens to be a pretty good banjo picker.

Not really a song, but a medley of impersonations by Merle Haggard. This is one of my favorite country soundbites. Recorded in Philadelphia sometime around 1970. He nails Marty Robbins and Buck Owens.

[youtube]H-A58r6Mwq8[/youtube]

As far as music videos go -- I'm not a fan of her music but Lady Gaga's music videos are nothing short of pure genious. She goes waaaaaaaaaaay over the top with them.

Back
Top Bottom