One to one with Olivier Panis

paul

Team Owner
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines02/0.../09/s10468.html

A clearly ecstatic Olivier Panis sat down with us at the Belgian Grand Prix just days after he revealed one of the biggest moves of his life.
Only four days prior to this interview, on Wednesday, Toyota announced to the world that the 36-year-old will take over the reins from Allan McNish and Mika Salo next season.

Panis was only too happy to talk about his new move, despite some lingering regrets at leaving behind BAR.

Q: How are you feeling about the announcement?
OP: I feel very happy. I am really happy about the new team because I really respect the team. The name of Toyota is massive around the world and this will be the first time I have had the opportunity to work with an outfit like this. I think it is also really impressive that the team is producing the chassis and the engine. I have been very aware about the progress they have been making this season. They have had some good qualifying sessions and races this season. They have been going well and so should be strong. Toyota seem to have stability now, so preparing for next season this winter is going to be very positive.

Q: Your knowledge and experience are the qualities they seem to be after...
OP: I am valued at the team because of the experience I have had. When I was at McLaren we did a fantastic job together. I helped the team to be a lot more successful. I have worked with Bridgestone since I started in 1997. I think Bridgestone trust me a lot. I am sure Bridgestone are happy that I have joined Toyota. I have also been able to compare my speed with David [Coulthard] and Jacques [Villeneuve]. For me it is a big honour that Toyota trust me to help develop the car and the team.

Q: When did it all start?
OP: Talks started some weeks ago. Keke Rosberg [his manager] started to speak to them and both parties were very interested. We finalised the contract on the Wednesday morning before the announcement was made. It came about quite quickly. They knew that they wanted a driver with experience and I was free.

Q: Were you completely a free agent then?
OP: David Richards wanted to keep me at BAR. He pushed me a lot to wait and see what happened and I did want to continue there because I had put so much time and effort into the team. But that was not possible, so when Toyota offered me the chance of a very good contract I said to David I didn't have a lot of time left. Anyway I was really happy about the Toyota deal. I signed because I am free and because we have a very good relationship, he understood what I had to do. Everyone knew I was free because of the options on the contract with BAR. I was not scared about my future. Everyone knows about my talent and my speed. I was sure something was going to happen.

Q: Does McLaren now envy Toyota for luring you away...
OP: I like Mike Slate( Kimi Raikkonen's engineer with whom Olivier used to work) because I have worked with him a lot. I have a lot of respect for McLaren.

Q: It is a big responsibility...what you are about to take on?
OP: I have an open mind to the new challenge. I am motivated. I know it will not be easy but I will be looking forward to it. I am ready for this because so far I have not proved myself fully in Formula One™. I want to win definitely and that is what's motivating me. I know my job. I need them and they need me also. We are a team. I don't feel pressured because I know where I am going.

Q: You are leaving Honda to go to Toyota, is it not a bit awkward?
OP: I have a lot of respect for Japanese people because they never give up lightly. Their mentality is good. I feel comfortable with them. I can joke with them even. I am very sad to leave because I have known them for so long. We have something together , respect and trust.

Q: Did you ever think sometime ago that you would be working for a manufacturer like Toyota?
OP: I never look back and think "oh my god, why" or whatever. When I broke my leg, I was doing so well in the Championship. I had proved a lot that year I don't regret anything. I work hard and you need to follow the challenge. When I see now where I am going, I think I am doing all right. I know it is not going to be easy at Toyota but I think it may be a bit more efficient at Toyota because they are doing the engine and gearbox in-house. The communication within the team is much more close. I know I will not have the best car but there is a degree of stability now, and we need to work hard on that. I am happy about that. It is of course a shame to leave Honda, but it is Formula One. I was a really happy man on Wednesday. It is the best opportunity for me.

Back
Top Bottom