Op-Ed: Living on the road

This comes from a writer in the NHRA world, but i can only imagine how much worse it is with NASCAR's 38 week schedule versus NHRA's 24 week.

I'm sure @Spotter22 has some input on the topic alongside @Nitro Dude .

http://www.e3xtreme.net/2019-editor...-amp-the-article-that-could-destroy-my-career
I cant speak for everyone on the road but as much as we traveled together we learned a lot about each other and pretty much were open and honest when we talked about life about outside of racing. Back when I first started you didnt have Human Resources and Insurance that would help with mental health issues as most teams do today but like the writer of the article said many problems were solved with Alcohol and sometimes drugs. The alcohol abuse wasnt always related to mental health issues, it was just "life on the road". You get to town, eat and then find a bar and drink and bench race until its time to get a few hours sleep before you head to the track, some guys never made it to bed. That type of behavior wouldnt be tolerated today. I think the writer is exorcising some demons and the article is good therapy and I hope his recovery is going well and he will overcome this. One things for sure, it aint for everybody but personally I had the time of my life.

I cant speak for everyone on the road but as much as we traveled together we learned a lot about each other and pretty much were open and honest when we talked about life about outside of racing. Back when I first started you didnt have Human Resources and Insurance that would help with mental health issues as most teams do today but like the writer of the article said many problems were solved with Alcohol and sometimes drugs. The alcohol abuse wasnt always related to mental health issues, it was just "life on the road". You get to town, eat and then find a bar and drink and bench race until its time to get a few hours sleep before you head to the track, some guys never made it to bed. That type of behavior wouldnt be tolerated today. I think the writer is exorcising some demons and the article is good therapy and I hope his recovery is going well and he will overcome this. One things for sure, it aint for everybody but personally I had the time of my life.

No strip bars? It was a priorty for any two day events we attended back in the day. We always stayed in Greensboro for the Martinsville race, and Atlanta for the "Atlanta" or even the Talladega race for that very reason.

No strip bars? It was a priorty for any two day events we attended back in the day. We always stayed in Greensboro for the Martinsville race, and Atlanta for the "Atlanta" or even the Talladega race for that very reason.
lol, well their might have been one or two and I'll even go a little further, some frequented certain massage parlors in certain cities.

Back
Top Bottom