Out with the old, in with the new

C

Captain Coyfish

For those saying nascar has no new blood get a load of this -- Larson and Annett will be going into cup in 2014, with Alligier and Dillon (and possibly Klingerman) joining them. That means 2-5 new drivers will be in cup in 2014 -- imagine the ROTY battle! But this comes at a price -- Ken Scharder and Mark Martin will retire, with Bobby Labonte and Dave Blaney (and possibly Jeff Burton) joining them, meaning 2-5 will be calling it quits for good.

I duno if this is a good thing or not.. I think it is.. the faces of NASCAR changing is good.. out with the old.. I think were about to see one hell of a ROTY battle between Larson and Dillon. Its gona be cool watching these young guys grow up through the sport. I know a lot of you guys already have seen this sort of thing happen back in the 90's and early 2000's but there is a lot of new young guys.. like 10 or more all under 25.. I think that will make for some great racing, tempers, immaturity, lack of experience.. etc.. I wonder how long until a drive for diversity driver is a cup champ...

Annett is only moving up because he has a sponsor. It sure isn't for results.

I’m looking forward to the Larson/Dillon matchup the most next year. Dillon holds an edge over Larson in head to head stats across all three major series. Here are the stats on how they’ve matched up to date…..

Cup
They’ve only went head to head once with Dillon finishing one position ahead of Larson. 22nd & 23rd.

Nationwide
They’ve faced each other a total of 33 times. Dillon finished ahead of Larson 21 of those 33 times with an average finish of 8.8 to Larson’s 13.8

Truck
Like Cup, they only went head to head once in the truck series finishing 1st and 2nd. Dillon came out on top. That was @ Eldora.

I’m looking forward to the Larson/Dillon matchup the most next year. Dillon holds an edge over Larson in head to head stats across all three major series. Here are the stats on how they’ve matched up to date…..

Cup
They’ve only went head to head once with Dillon finishing one position ahead of Larson. 22nd & 23rd.

Nationwide
They’ve faced each other a total of 33 times. Dillon finished ahead of Larson 21 of those 33 times with an average finish of 8.8 to Larson’s 13.8

Truck
Like Cup, they only went head to head once in the truck series finishing 1st and 2nd. Dillon came out on top. That was @ Eldora.
Hopefully Rookie Ricky starts performing too. As a Stenhouse fan I was a little underwhelmed by his performance this year though I'll chalk that up to a rookie season. Hoping for some wins next year.

Hopefully Rookie Ricky starts performing too. As a Stenhouse fan I was a little underwhelmed by his performance this year though I'll chalk that up to a rookie season. Hoping for some wins next year.
Get that kid out of a Ford and he'll shine.

I was was hoping for a better with the rookie of the year battle this year. The last good rookie battle I remember was Earnhardt/Kensith when they came up to Cup. I think there were a couple of rookies getting wins since then. I wonder how many years the next crop spent in Nationwide? Two years in the feeder series seems to be good. The open wheel drivers only did one season in Nationwide and it didn't work out for them.

Me too, wins two N'wide titles back to back, and never was a factor in cup all year, one top five. I thought he would at least lead a few races and have 4 or 5 top fives. I am curious to see what Dillon does with his one N'wide and truck title in comparison.

Jimmie only had one nationwide win and that was on strategy. Jeff must be able to see talent in bad equipment ;)

Jimmie's nation wide win also came after he had signed the deal with Hendrick, and HMS stepped in and helped his team that he was driving for.

Jeff Gordon's BGN stats before coming to cup:
3 seasons
62 races
3 wins
15 top 5s
25 top 10s
12 poles
1991 ROTY

got shot into cup in 1993 without a single BGN title and look at what he's done in cup. Johnson has an even shorter stat sheet. Sometime you just gotta give 'em a chance.

Jeff Gordon's BGN stats before coming to cup:
3 seasons
62 races
3 wins
15 top 5s
25 top 10s
12 poles
1991 ROTY

got shot into cup in 1993 without a single BGN title and look at what he's done in cup. Johnson has an even shorter stat sheet. Sometime you just gotta give 'em a chance.

true, but also look at the situation Gordon and Johnson stepped into when they moved to Cup. Larson is talented and may even rival that of a Gordon or Johnson, but his team doesn't even come close to where HMS was when Gordon and Johnson moved up. That definitely is the same for the other NNS guys moving up even Dillion.

Gordon and Johnson moved into a top-notch organization with great crew chiefs. Annett is not entering Cup with either one.

Kyle Larson can drive anything. Give him some time to get used to the Cup cars and he'll be a factor.

true, but also look at the situation Gordon and Johnson stepped into when they moved to Cup. Larson is talented and may even rival that of a Gordon or Johnson, but his team doesn't even come close to where HMS was when Gordon and Johnson moved up. That definitely is the same for the other NNS guys moving up even Dillion.

Gordon and Johnson moved into a top-notch organization with great crew chiefs. Annett is not entering Cup with either one.

Kyle Larson can drive anything. Give him some time to get used to the Cup cars and he'll be a factor.
You guy's remember it a lot different than I do and I paid a lot of attention because the new kid Rick chose to drive his car in 1992 replaced Richard Petty as my favorite driver because It was Richards last and Jeff's first cup race.

I think the ROTY will be a two horse race. Dillon and Larson driving abilities are pretty close, but the Childress team and equipment gives Dillon a good advantage. Allgaier in the 51 will be interesting to watch, rookie and a cup rookie owner. That would be a real long shot if they pulled off a ROTY title. Nascar should make up a trophy for rookie cup owner of the year if that happened.

I was was hoping for a better with the rookie of the year battle this year. The last good rookie battle I remember was Earnhardt/Kensith when they came up to Cup. I think there were a couple of rookies getting wins since then. I wonder how many years the next crop spent in Nationwide? Two years in the feeder series seems to be good. The open wheel drivers only did one season in Nationwide and it didn't work out for them.
Johnson and Newman had a way better rookie battle. IIRC, Johnson finished higher in the points but Newman won the rookie of the year because he had more wins.

Cup

Nationwide

Truck

Dillon's also got more experience and been in much better equipment than Larson. And that will hold true next year with Dillon in a championship contending car and Larson in a second-tier ride.

I'd be concerned if Dillon doesn't win ROTY.

You guy's remember it a lot different than I do and I paid a lot of attention because the new kid Rick chose to drive his car in 1992 replaced Richard Petty as my favorite driver because It was Richards last and Jeff's first cup race.

So are you saying Jeff didn't have top equipment and crew?

So are you saying Jeff didn't have top equipment and crew?
It was my understanding at the time and still is that Rick was third or fourth in the pecking order as far as quality of equipment and teams were concerned and had thoughts of closing up his shop. He has often said that he was not sure until about halfway through the 1993 season what the future of HMS would be.

For those saying nascar has no new blood get a load of this -- Larson and Annett will be going into cup in 2014, with Alligier and Dillon (and possibly Klingerman) joining them. That means 2-5 new drivers will be in cup in 2014 -- imagine the ROTY battle! But this comes at a price -- Ken Scharder and Mark Martin will retire, with Bobby Labonte and Dave Blaney (and possibly Jeff Burton) joining them, meaning 2-5 will be calling it quits for good.

while I enjoy the infusion of new blood, those you list as possibly leaving the sport: Ken Schrader, Bobby Labonte, Mark Martin, Jeff Burton, and Dave Blaney, have set the bar pretty high when it comes to the class and fan outreach they have brought to the sport.

as excited as I am to watch kyle larson and justin allgier, i'll still be looking to attend any racing event Ken Schrader is scheduled to appear.

I can't help thinking that there was a little bit of monkey see , monkey do , going on this year . There were a few great young drivers coming up, headed into various truck and Nationwide teams . One of the top Nascar teams , I forget who was first , decided to make a play to sign one , and the rest of the top teams said.. Me Too !. Some are signing guys that they literally have no use for yet . I think they could have waited a year or two and watched them develop.

I can't help thinking that there was a little bit of monkey see , monkey do , going on this year . There were a few great young drivers coming up, headed into various truck and Nationwide teams . One of the top Nascar teams , I forget who was first , decided to make a play to sign one , and the rest of the top teams said.. Me Too !. Some are signing guys that they literally have no use for yet . I think they could have waited a year or two and watched them develop.

I agree.

Back
Top Bottom