"Pardon The Interruption" Targets NASCAR

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
Gives me another reason not to watch this show.

From The Daly Planet

There are two schools of thought at ESPN where NASCAR is concerned. One group of employees enjoys the sport as part of the motorsports landscape, while another group is firmly convinced that NASCAR is completely fixed from top to bottom. It was this way when I worked at ESPN back in the 1980's and it is that way now.

Stick and ball sports are played out in the open. You make the catch against the wall for the final out. You intercept the ball and run for a touchdown. You shoot the puck into the net, putt the golf ball into the hole and it all seems so simple.

The dark voodoo of NASCAR perplexes those not exposed to motorsports as just another form of real sport. The reason ESPN has Tim Brewer on telecasts telling us wheels are round and fuel makes cars go is because the network believes that viewers need that basic level of assistance. In other words, people who watch this stuff are idiots.

Over the past four seasons, there have been many hilarious moments when the need to discuss NASCAR-related content fell to ESPN on-air employees with no clue. SportsCenter announcers rush through brief highlights so they can return to real sports, ESPNEWS anchors have that deer in the headlights look when a NASCAR interview surfaces. Names are mangled, details are wrong and the sport suffers.

The most bizarre graveyard for NASCAR on ESPN has been the weekday show called Pardon the Interruption. Originating from Washington DC, the show features two hosts discussing sports stories of the day with a time limit on each discussion.

Tuesday, fulltime host Tony Kornheiser was paired with Dan LeBatard, a substitute host and writer for the Miami Herald newspaper. In the picture above Kornheiser is on the left and LeBatard on the right. The fourth topic on the show rundown was Dale Earnhardt Jr. and his Daytona 500 pole run.

Here is the conversation on the program that ran on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNEWS only days before ESPN will start NASCAR racing coverage and FOX will telecast the Daytona 500:

LeBatard: Since we are already questioning college football's integrity, why don't you start investigating NASCAR's too, Mr. Restrictor Plate.

This is the 10th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death, (TV) ratings are down since. Two hundred thousand fans will hold up three fingers in his honor at the Daytona 500 on Sunday. It just so happens that his son, Dale Earnhart Jr., has the pole position for that race. You believe the fix is in, don't you?

Kornheiser: Well, it's a great America moment isn't it when Dale Earnhardt Jr. at Daytona can have the pole position...a guy who has not won a race in his last 93 starts.

There are people in and around the NASCAR world, not just drivers but people who cover the sport as well, who are winking at this one. Who are wondering if this wasn't a set-up because it's the pole position, it's not winning the race.

It's just getting on the pole, having the lead and bringing the viewers in. Dale Earnhardt Jr. is the most popular driver for the last seven or eight years and he can't win a race. This is a good set-up moment, is it not?

LeBatard: But is it a great American moment or is it professional wrestling? If you're going to lob this accusation out there...and look, I've heard the comments where people say you let something go on the car and give a guy a certain advantage. I can't deny that Junior winning would be good for NASCAR.

Kornheiser: Everytime he runs if he wins it's good for NASCAR because he is the most popular guy out there and they want to get the ratings back up. I think the suggestion here, someone I talked to who covered auto racing for a lot of years, said she believed there was a 60% chance that Junior qualified with a car not quite up to code and people looked the other way.

There are no points involved, the other drivers don't get hurt and running three good laps is not the same as running 500 miles. Everybody in NASCAR is going to feel good about this.

Needless to say, even thought Kornheiser's comments lasted less than two minutes, the damage done was pretty thorough. What Kornheiser did was dredge up an issue that has plagued the sport for years. That is integrity.

Last season, Denny Hamlin was fined fifty thousand dollars for commenting on a late caution flag in one race. All Hamlin did was say he expected it and it did not bother him. The hint that NASCAR put out a caution to close up the field for a better finish lightened his wallet.

Kornheiser chose to ignore almost all the reality surrounding Junior's qualifying run in order to make his point. He chose to not reach out to NASCAR for a comment or help with an understanding of the situation. More than that, he did not take a moment to speak with Rusty Wallace, Dale Jarrett or Andy Petree.

The allegation that the NFL fixed a coin toss to give the home team a favorable starting position would cause outrage. The suggestion that Major League Baseball allowed a corked bat for a slumping hitter to get better results would get a phone call from the league.

What NASCAR chooses to do with this should be interesting, especially because ESPN has a scheduled preseason press conference with all the NASCAR reporters in the Daytona Infield Media Center at 11:30AM on Wednesday.

It will be VP of Motorsports Rich Feinberg along with Marty Reid, Dale Jarrett and Andy Petree talking about the network's approach to NASCAR this season. Perhaps the two analysts will be asked about one of ESPN's top rated programs alleging that Junior was placed on the pole to help with slumping TV ratings.

It is ESPN that televises the final seventeen Sprint Cup Series races, including the entire Chase for the Championship. Any negative fan reaction during the off-season is a direct result of ESPN's efforts down the stretch.

Kornheiser was once suspended for remarking on the retro 80's fashion sense of a certain female ESPN anchor. In this case, he simply alleges that one of the top professional sports in North America orchestrated the pole position for the biggest Sprint Cup Series race of the season.

You need another example? The double yellow line rule. Dale JR passes below the yellow line and it's ok because "he's already in the act of passing." Denny Hamlin does the EXACT SAME PASS and gets penalized.

Sadly, NASCAR has lost their credibility

Dale Jarrett on Kornhesier comments: "It pisses me off."

ESPN VP Motorsports Rich Feinberg adds that Tony Kornheiser's opinion doesn't represent ESPN's opinions.

I can't stand Korn man, but I'll have to side with him on this one, it is rather "suspicous" to me that something like this happens. Just like when Jr won the 400 in July 2001, things that make you go......hmmmmm!?

I can't stand Korn man, but I'll have to side with him on this one, it is rather "suspicous" to me that something like this happens. Just like when Jr won the 400 in July 2001, things that make you go......hmmmmm!?

And just think of the skill that it took for NASCAR not only to rig that in Jr's favor but for Jr to edge out Jeff Gordon by 0.032 seconds. :eek: Amazing!

And just think of the skill that it took for NASCAR not only to rig that in Jr's favor but for Jr to edge out Jeff Gordon by 0.032 seconds. :eek: Amazing!

Yeh it was, but it happened didn't it? Really conviently too, not saying that there is proof of any of this, but hell Jr has been languishing in the dull area for awhile and all of sudden he has this emergence into the forefront just because it is the 10th aniv. of his Dads' death? Could be circumstances, but i find it strange and so do a lot of others.

Yeh it was, but it happened didn't it? Really conviently too, not saying that there is proof of any of this, but hell Jr has been languishing in the dull area for awhile and all of sudden he has this emergence into the forefront just because it is the 10th aniv. of his Dads' death? Could be circumstances, but i find it strange and so do a lot of others.

How is winning the pole suddenly being in the forefront? I mean hell, it's not like the Hendrick care as a whole havent always qualified well at Daytona.

It's just the pole!

Wow this is really something else. Just because he gets the pole it's fixed? His HMS partner starts 2nd did he get help from Nascar as well? What will be next? Did Bobby Labonte let Steve Park win at Rockingham in 01? Did Jeff Gordon let Kevin Harvick win at Atlanta in 01 as well? it's Qualifying at a plate track, ANYONE can get the pole there.......

I can understand the suspicion over the 400, but even then, I don't think NASCAR had any hand in it. If there was anything working in Junior's favor, I think it's more likely the other drivers. I think maybe they weren't exactly giving 100% when he was moving to the front because they were aware of the storybook implications, and I've taken heavy fire in the past for just suggesting that much. I criticize NASCAR for their use of mystery yellows, and their meddling in the points system, but I really don't think they've attempted to "fix" outcomes the way this Kornheiser fellow is suggesting.

I certainly don't think a pole is anything to get worked up about. Junior was on the front row last year, and Hendrick cars are no strangers to the front of the field at plate tracks. It's not like you'd have been laughed at for picking Junior to take the pole.

NASCAR did this to themselves. Endless tinkering with the rules destroys their credibility.

total agreement !

but come on folks do you honestly think the outcome is fixed.
if that were so Jr would be a Champion at least twice by know and if you believe they "look the other way" when it comes to jr, look back to BMS in the spring. I was there, jr had a car that could win that day running top 5 but nascar said he was speeding on pit road, to the back he went. wouldn't they have ignored that if the "fix" was in.
face it folks as long as jr is driving there is going to be as many people out there trying to discredit him as there are people defending him.

NASCAR did this to themselves. Endless tinkering with the rules destroys their credibility.
It amazes me that you and I can be so much in agreement on NA__AR and so far apart in other areas.

Many sports change their rules according to the environment. True, there may not be as many as what you see with NASCAR but what sport has as many variables? I think what ruins it's credibility are people like Kornheiser that make a blanket statements like what he did yesterday. He bases his thoughts on an unnamed reporter that is 60% sure Jr's. car was not quite up to code. :confused: Translated..... He's 60% sure that NASCAR is looking the other way when it comes to Earnhardt. What the heck kind of statement is that? Complete BS.

You need another example? The double yellow line rule. Dale JR passes below the yellow line and it's ok because "he's already in the act of passing." Denny Hamlin does the EXACT SAME PASS and gets penalized.

Sadly, NASCAR has lost their credibility

Yep. The yellow line seems to go either way.

It went one way with Dale Earnhardt Jr. in 2003 and in a Truck race a few years later. Then in Regan Smith's case, the rule went another way.

The NFL made one change last year during the season (helmet to helmet contact). NASCAR seems to make a change every week.

A rule that is selectively enforced as well.

Hell, I watched a game where the Baltimore Ratbirds (sorry, I meant Ravens :eek:) got away with TWO helmet-to-helmet hits against the Steelers, and then a couple weeks later, a Jaguars player was called for helmet-to-helmet against Jason Campbell (QB-Oakland) when Campbell was fair play and there was not actually any contact with anyone's helmet.

Wow this is really something else. Just because he gets the pole it's fixed? His HMS partner starts 2nd did he get help from Nascar as well? What will be next? Did Bobby Labonte let Steve Park win at Rockingham in 01? Did Jeff Gordon let Kevin Harvick win at Atlanta in 01 as well? it's Qualifying at a plate track, ANYONE can get the pole there.......

Ok ...ok but just saying watch all this blow up if he wins, the conspiracy theorists will be out in droves.

I guess i worded my previous post wrong, but that was the general Idea i was trying to convey.

Well he just wrecked so...

Anyone that watches that show is a fool. Kornheiser is a no-nothing blow hard.

They had JJ on today, he invited him to a race so he "doesn't sound like an idiot".

well it's moot point now. Now we need to start with the Hendrick does everything for Jimmie conspiracies. Did Chad tell Jimmie to let up and wreck Jr.? Just like he told Steve Letarte to give Jeff two tires last year, while Jimmie took four? Just like the 48 stole the 24's pit crew, which in turn won them their championship? Does Rick Hendrick go to the team meetings and say "you guys know the routine, we let Jimmie win" Let the conspirators discuss :confused:

So what do they think of IndyCar and F1? Those series rigged too? NA$CAR will start to look more like F1 once they go to fuel injection. NA$CAR will be able to have engineers watching monitors telling the drivers everything that the cars are doing.

I think ESPN thinks NA$CAR fans are he same people that think wrestling is real.

So what do they think of IndyCar and F1? Those series rigged too? NA$CAR will start to look more like F1 once they go to fuel injection. NA$CAR will be able to have engineers watching monitors telling the drivers everything that the cars are doing.

I think ESPN thinks NA$CAR fans are he same people that think wrestling is real.

Never heard them mention F1 on the show Indy only during the Indy 500 and if it has something to do with Danica

Man, Daytona hasn't even been run yet and it's already starting to look like the year of passive-aggressiveness here on good ole raing-froums.

Should be a good one :beerbang:

Tony Kornheiser is a moron and shock jock at best. He is a four year old Howard Stern.

Or Richard Pettys last race at Daytona and he captures pole until Sterlin Marlin who didn't get them memo blasted Petty to outside pole.

"Stick and ball sports are played out in the open. You make the catch against the wall for the final out. You intercept the ball and run for a touchdown. You shoot the puck into the net, putt the golf ball into the hole and it all seems so simple."

Really. How many plays in s&b sports have been debated to death over the years despite multiple replay angles? Does anyone really believe that the NFL doesn't give favorable calls to Tom Brady? The NBA to Kobe Bryant, and other sports to its cash cows?

As for fixing, I really have a hard time believing that Fortune 500 companies such as Lowe's or Anheuser Busch would spend the kind of money that it takes to run a 'Cup team these days without having their legal team find out whether or not something might blow up in their face and harm their corporate image.

I wouldn't take anything ESPN says about NASCAR to heart, 90% of them just know Basketball and that's it. If it's not Basketball, Football or Baseball then they have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. With the exception of Barry Melrose and Matthew Barnaby, the "reporters" at ESPN also believe that fighting has no place in hockey which translates to that they have no idea what the are talking about because they don't know the sport. Same with NASCAR, or any other form of racing for that matter, they are ignorant on the subject so they just blurt out ridiculous crap and the viewers that don't know the sport either buy into it. I hate ESPN anyway so F 'em.

When Jr wins the 500, watch Korn man gloat about it, of course this is all great for Nascar and that is the whole point. I just love stirring the pot here, all you guys are so sensitive....ha!;)

So far 4 pages of banter....And no one brings up the point regarding NASCRAP's reluctance to provide LIVE REAL TIME PIT ROAD SPEED TELEMETRY to the broadcast networks and us the fans. It's the ONLY thing left in the arsenal to penalize a driver they have it in for. They will always be lacking in credibility till they FINALLY give in...IMO......:cool:

So far 4 pages of banter....And no one brings up the point regarding NASCRAP's reluctance to provide LIVE REAL TIME PIT ROAD SPEED TELEMETRY to the broadcast networks and us the fans. It's the ONLY thing left in the arsenal to penalize a driver they have it in for. They will always be lacking in credibility till they FINALLY give in...IMO......:cool:

Are you referring to the Robbie Gordon rule/ penalty?:D

Well, if you've been watching the show for as long as I have, you'd know both Tony Kornheiser and Dan LeBatard have never watched an entire NASCAR race in their lives. Nor would they care to.
LeBatard occasionally fills in for Michael Wilbon, the one person on the show who holds a somewhat respectable knowledge of NASCAR. Wilbon is a part-time AZ resident and has said on PTI that he's attended the Phoenix race a time or two. I have no reason to doubt him.

I don't watch PTI for motorsports news. I enjoy the back and forth banter between Kornheiser and Wilbon on sports topics outside of NASCAR. I'll admit, though, that Kornheiser can be hard on the ears at times. Especially when he opines on anything outside his comfort zone.

Like NASCAR.

Kornheiser made his name writing about tennis. I dont think he really has more than a cursory knowledge of other sports.

Back
Top Bottom