Parrot? Why?

Team Penske

Team Owner
RCR names Daytona 500 crew chiefs for Ty Dillon and Brian Scott: Richard Childress Racing confirmed that two veteran, Daytona 500-winning crew chiefs will oversee the teams for Ty Dillon's and Brian Scott's runs in the Great American Race on Feb. 22. Todd Parrott, who won the 500 with Dale Jarrett in 1996 and 2000, will serve as crew chief the #33 Chevy with Dillon. Parrott also won the July race at Daytona with Jarrett at Robert Yates Racing in 1999 - the season the #88 team won the Sprint Cup title. In 20 seasons, Parrott led teams to 31 wins, 144 top fives, 230 top 10s and 23 pole positions. Parrott joined RCR at the end of last season to run its Xfinity Series program.
Slugger Labbe will oversee Scott's effort in the #62 Chevy [earlier reports had Scott running the #29]. Labbe led Michael Waltrip to his 2003 Daytona 500 victory - six months after the pair won the July race. It was the first Harley J. Earl trophy for Labbe and the second for Waltrip. Together the pair won three restrictor plate races. Labbe guided Paul Menard to his first career victory three seasons ago at the Brickyard. Labbe stepped down as crew chief for the #27 Menard's team in October to oversee RCR's R&D dept.(Motorsport)(2-6-2015)

You would think they would want someone who has done something with these cars. His last success was with the "Twisted Sister".

If they were going to run as fulltime Cup teams, I would be shocked. It looks like it is just for the 500, rookie entries.

If they were going to run as fulltime Cup teams, I would be shocked. It looks like it is just for the 500, rookie entries.
and a has been at the helm? :owquitit:

Really is all about the money I guess.

Could be about the money. If they get in the race it will pay off no matter what happens. Maybe he isn't expecting a lot from them at the moment but wants the rookies to get the experience.

Load up the field for the biggest money race of the season. Daytona is like playing the roulette wheel, the more numbers you have in the race the better odds. Run 4 cars if you can.

Reactions: Pat
Not sure I get the confusion here. They are both employees of RCR. Why would RC look elsewhere when he already has the talent inhouse?

For me it's because their experience is so out dated. Maybe it isn't. What have they been doing at RCR?

Load up the field for the biggest money race of the season. Daytona is like playing the roulette wheel, the more numbers you have in the race the better odds. Run 4 cars if you can.

Right. I don't think they have much to lose.

For me it's because their experience is so out dated. Maybe it isn't. What have they been doing at RCR?
From that post it states that Parrott is running RCR's Xfinity Series program and Slugger is running RCR's R&D department.

I think todd parrot is a great guy to call a race like this. I remember dale jarrett's last win. besides its a plate race. The handling of the car isn't a huge deal. The main thing is the driver and how the car is prepared back at the shop. The next thing will be how the race plays out. can the cars pass or is track position everything that will come down to pit calls or maybe pit calls will not be that big of a deal. it depends on how the race plays out.

'A has been'........... that's what they all called his dad.... Buddy..... when he was the crew chief for Derrick Cope in '90 with Bob Whitcomb.......... that ole 'has been' put Derrick in the position to win the Daytona 500. I wouldn't discount a Parrott...... No matter if his last win was with a twisted sister car. That family didn't fall off the 'tater wagon yesterday.

Young kid with old CC sounds good to me. Just want to be fundamentally good, cover the basics and make some good laps.

Not sure I get the confusion here. They are both employees of RCR. Why would RC look elsewhere when he already has the talent inhouse?
Because Todd Parrott has been awful as CC since 1999 wher he took credit for helping DJ win a championship in '99 when Yates' engine shop probably deserved more credit?

That was a terrible run-on sentence but I think people can figure it out.

Back
Top Bottom