Patrick Sheltra medical updates

D

Digger

Sunday Medical Update On Patrick Sheltra

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (February 8, 2009) - - ARCA RE/MAX Series driver Patrick Sheltra remains hospitalized at a local Daytona Beach, Florida hospital Sunday evening following an incident in Saturday’s Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 at Daytona International Speedway.

The 22-year old driver underwent several tests Saturday night and into the day Sunday with most of the results returning negative. Nevertheless, Sheltra, the Indiantown, Florida native is suffering from a compression fracture in his back from injuries sustained in the first ARCA race of the season. At this time, no surgical procedures are planned for Sheltra, who finished 14th in Saturday’s race.

The family and the Whitesville, Kentucky-based Sheltra Motorsports team has expressed extreme gratitude and appreciation of Sheltra’s well-being and recovery. The outpouring support of emails, phone calls, prayers, text messages and voicemails have been overwhelming.

Additionally, the family is expressing their sincere thanks to the ARCA officials (Ron Drager, Mark Gundrum, Joe Wells and Marc Williams), Bean family, Butler family, Gerhart family, Hollenbeck family, ISC officials, Jones family, Kimmel family, Krick Family, McCrary family and the other fans and supporters who stopped by the hospital to check on the third year ARCA driver.

Sheltra Motorsports will issue another statement Monday following consulting with hospital doctors and officials.

Plans for Sheltra to compete on the dirt at Volusia County Speedway have been canceled. The Sheltra Motorsports team however will continue to field an entry for newcomer Shannon Babb this week.

Finally, the Sheltra Motorsports family would like to wish Larry Hollenbeck, another driver involved in the lap 74 incident a speedy recovery.

For more on Patrick Sheltra, please visit PatrickSheltra.com.

About Sheltra Motorsports:

Sheltra Motorsports (sheltramotorsports.com) is a three-tier Motorsports operation consisting of dirt and asphalt competition. Patrick Sheltra, a 22-year old native of Indiantown, Florida competes in the UMP and WoO (Dirt) Series; while also running a full schedule in the ARCA RE/MAX Series (No. 60) and a limited schedule in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. Sheltra Motorsports ownership is combined of Richard, Grace and Patrick Sheltra. The team is headquartered in Indiantown, Florida with additional operations in Richmond, Indiana and Whitesville, Kentucky.

###

Here's what i'm not understanding. The hit was to the rear 1/3rd of the car. How and why did Sheltra's seat buckle to give him a compression fracture? His car dissipated alot of energy real quickly through the spiral. I would have expected Hollenbeck to have the worse injury, as he had the rapid deceleration from the hit and almost no dissipation afterwards.

I wouldnt care what sport i was a part of..i'd be making it a point to look at both cars, how they absorbed energy, and what led to their injuries.

I didnt hear about the compression fracture till today. Sucks he is out for dirt racing this week. Hopefully Shannon Babb will rack up the wins for them this week.

Here's what i'm not understanding. The hit was to the rear 1/3rd of the car. How and why did Sheltra's seat buckle to give him a compression fracture? His car dissipated alot of energy real quickly through the spiral. I would have expected Hollenbeck to have the worse injury, as he had the rapid deceleration from the hit and almost no dissipation afterwards.

I wouldnt care what sport i was a part of..i'd be making it a point to look at both cars, how they absorbed energy, and what led to their injuries.
ARCA's been talking about running COT beginning in 2011. I wonder if they'll push that up now. Frank Kimmel getting hurt last year, and now Hollenback and Sheltra. This isn't a good track record.

Hollenback will be released from Halifax Medical Center today.

ARCA's been talking about running COT beginning in 2011. I wonder if they'll push that up now. Frank Kimmel getting hurt last year, and now Hollenback and Sheltra. This isn't a good track record.
IMO i wouldn't. That would only give them half a year of testing, that the teams couldn't afford at this juncture. Remember, this is a sportman series more than it is a pro series. Half the cars dont have major sponsors.

But what I would do, is what you (or somebody) has been advocating- make this car safer. Nothing says you can't still have dow foam under the sheet metal, even if it's only 2" of it or so. That's still more absorbant of a direct hit isn't it? I don't think they can move the seat very much, but maybe move other things around for safety reasons, and increase minimum weight by 50 or 100 pounds to the teams have to do it.

one thing I WOULD like to see, that NASCAR threw out with the trash, would be for ARCA to mandate a roof hatch for the COT. And maybe even keep the valience and spoiler.

IMO i wouldn't. That would only give them half a year of testing, that the teams couldn't afford at this juncture. Remember, this is a sportman series more than it is a pro series. Half the cars dont have major sponsors.

But what I would do, is what you (or somebody) has been advocating- make this car safer. Nothing says you can't still have dow foam under the sheet metal, even if it's only 2" of it or so. That's still more absorbant of a direct hit isn't it? I don't think they can move the seat very much, but maybe move other things around for safety reasons, and increase minimum weight by 50 or 100 pounds to the teams have to do it.

one thing I WOULD like to see, that NASCAR threw out with the trash, would be for ARCA to mandate a roof hatch for the COT. And maybe even keep the valience and spoiler.
I don't think they should go to COT at all. But ARCA usually follows NASCAR's lead so it's inevitable. I've heard 2012 at the latest.

I hope they use the Nationwide COT and not the Spitcup pos.

Monday Medical Update On Patrick Sheltra

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (February 9, 2009) - - Sheltra Motorsports officials confirmed Monday afternoon that ARCA RE/MAX Series (ARS) driver Patrick Sheltra was released from a local Daytona Beach, Florida hospital following an incident in Saturday’s Lucas Oil Slick Mist 200 at Daytona International Speedway.

The Indiantown, Florida native sustained a compression fracture in his fourth vertebrae after the lap 74 incident in the first ARCA race of the season. At this time, no surgical procedures are planned for Sheltra, who finished 14th in Saturday’s race.

Sheltra with the help of a back brace has begun his recovery mode for the next couple weeks before following up with family physicians with the intention of gaining clearance to run the next ARCA RE/MAX Series race at Salem Speedway on April 5.

“I am extremely appreciative of everyone who has shown concern over the accident,” said Sheltra leaving Halifax Medical Center. “The amount of support has been unbelievable and I cannot continue to thank everyone for everything.”

The family and the Whitesville, Kentucky-based Sheltra Motorsports team continue to be extreme grateful and appreciative of Sheltra’s well-being and recovery. The outpouring support of emails, phone calls, prayers, text messages and voicemails have been overwhelming.

Plans for Sheltra to compete on the dirt at Volusia County Speedway have been canceled. The Sheltra Motorsports team however will continue to field an entry for newcomer Shannon Babb this week.

Interview and Media opportunities for Sheltra are available by contact Chris Knight of Sheltra Motorsports at [email protected] or 239.834.9797

For more on Patrick Sheltra, please visit PatrickSheltra.com.

About Sheltra Motorsports:

Sheltra Motorsports (sheltramotorsports.com) is a three-tier Motorsports operation consisting of dirt and asphalt competition. Patrick Sheltra, a 22-year old native of Indiantown, Florida competes in the UMP and WoO (Dirt) Series; while also running a full schedule in the ARCA RE/MAX Series (No. 60) and a limited schedule in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. Sheltra Motorsports ownership is combined of Richard, Grace and Patrick Sheltra. The team is headquartered in Indiantown, Florida with additional operations in Richmond, Indiana and Whitesville, Kentucky.

###

In reality how many arca teams could afford to scrap there 70-100 thousand dollar machines and build brand new cars. Most teams would either quit all together or go run camping world races assuming that they keep the same style cars. God could you imagine the splitter on a dirt track. The tracks wouldn't need graders cause the cars would be turning over the track for them lol

In reality how many arca teams could afford to scrap there 70-100 thousand dollar machines and build brand new cars. Most teams would either quit all together or go run camping world races assuming that they keep the same style cars. God could you imagine the splitter on a dirt track. The tracks wouldn't need graders cause the cars would be turning over the track for them lol
Shirley you don't expect Mark Gundrum and co. to think about this stuff?:confused::eek:

that is a good point. If they keep running dirt, COT is a no-no

like i said..maybe COT, but WITH the origional spoiler/valence?

Back
Top Bottom